Jobroles of a housewife?

Soldato
At the moment I'd agree that it sounds like shes being "laid back" but give it another 6 months, when the baby starts walking and talking, the next 4-5 years until your son goes to school is going to be a whirlwind for her. You'll be amazed that she'll even have time to bung chips in the oven.

Give her a break.

Last edited:
Associate
Really P'ed off at the moment with my lovely darling girlfriend.

She stops at home all day with the baby (6 months old) whilst I work 9-5.

She never hardly does any cleaning. She'll wash up occasionally and perhaps put the clothes on wash but thats it. She'll look after the baby (to be fair she does a good job at that) and when he's sleeping or just playing on his own she'll read. (Damn that library!)

Now when I get home I'm expected to do loads of cleaning, washing clothes and bring clothes in maybe. And also I want to spend some time with my son.
She also does the cooking. Well, say cooking... she'll make spag bol or throw some chips and whatever in the oven. That's it.

She really should be doing more shouldn't she?

Ohh and my friends have also criticised her aswell as my own mother!

To be fair mate i am a house husband and it really is not that easy, yeah when they are sleeping it is and there is no excuse for it but little ones do require allot of attention! I used to think the same about my missus when my son was first born but then she went back to work and i started to look after him.

Just talk to her and let her know that when you get in from work you want some time with your son and and as you have beeen working all day that you dont then want to spend all evening cooking and cleaning.

Soldato
OP
Ok then so how do thousands of people manage to keep a clean house aswell as look after baby on their own? (Single parents)

I do what I can when i'm at home and then some!

I will be talking about this to her tonight and drawing up a rota so she knows what she has to do, and I know what I need to do.

To be fair mate i am a house husband and it really is not that easy, yeah when they are sleeping it is and there is no excuse for it but little ones do require allot of attention! I used to think the same about my missus when my son was first born but then she went back to work and i started to look after him.

Just talk to her and let her know that when you get in from work you want some time with your son and and as you have beeen working all day that you dont then want to spend all evening cooking and cleaning.

I realise it's not easy but neither is working all day, get home and start work cleaning the house/washing clothes/dishes for 3-4 hours.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ok then so how do thousands of people manage to keep a clean house aswell as look after baby on their own? (Single parents)

I do what I can when i'm at home and then some!

I will be talking about this to her tonight and drawing up a rota so she knows what she has to do, and I know what I need to do.

Rota's are great until the baby is sick everywhere.

Please if only for your own safety don not draw up a rota of "what she is to do"

Don
Have you ever tried looking after a baby full time!!

I was a house husband for four years and I can tell you now that it is the hardest thing I have ever done. Also your other half has given birth too which will have a massive impact on her physically and mentally.

The amount of times I was in the middle of doing a job, putting the washing on swapping it into the dryer only to have the baby wake only for the baby to wake was unbelievable.

Swap roles for a week, then post back, you will be back to work in a flash!

was going to say, hard to imagine what it's like in her shoes :)

-have to agree 100% with Slinwagh's posts here..

a 'rota' would send me nuts if someone made one up, just man up and pitch in :)

Soldato
spent 7yrs looking after my 3 kids while my wife worked full time. Easy as anything, Women think they have a hard time being alone with their kids. Used to do all the usual chores, washing, cleaning, keeping the baby entertained, dusting, hoovering, making sure dinner was on table for the Mrs when she got home. Sounds like your partner is slacking TBH.

Associate
The problem here is what "you" expect.

You sound like a total ****.

I wanted to reply to this and argue for the OP... i mean after all he's said his baby is pretty chilled so why isnt she doing more?

But then i considered the why.... maybe his missus is suffering from post natal depression? maybe she has resentment towards the OP for being able to escape it all 9-5, as has been said previously the OP needs to talk to his missus!

Soldato
My ex's mum is a full time child minder. She looks after numerous kids from 6am till 7pm Monday to Friday. Youngest is 6 Months and eldest is 13. On any given day she has at least 3 kids in her care but before/after school it can be as many as 7. She has time to keep the house tidy and cook for her husband and all the kids. Not once do you hear her moan about anything. She's 63 in a few days.

I'm not saying its easy but with some organisation and motivation...

Soldato
OP
It is a damn sight harder than working I tell you that, what do you do for a living?

IT Tech. Fair enough, not the hardest job in the world but it can get quite stressful where I work.

spent 7yrs looking after my 3 kids while my wife worked full time. Easy as anything, Women think they have a hard time being alone with their kids. Used to do all the usual chores, washing, cleaning, keeping the baby entertained, dusting, hoovering, making sure dinner was on table for the Mrs when she got home. Sounds like your partner is slacking TBH.

****** A :D

Soldato
I have actually looked after him on my todd for a couple of days straight. He's a fantastic baby to be honest. He's asleep by 9 and sleeps all the way through. And he'll happily play with his toys on the floor without wanting much fuss.

She certainly could do more in the house and i do so much at home that it stresses me out.

Yes, it's called being a parent and a partner and having responsibilities, deal with it.

I do 8:00-6:00, which is out of the house at 7:00 and back home at 19:00 most days, then come home and help out as much as I can, sometimes I cook, sometimes I prepare the food for the wife to cook. I wash-up, do some laundry, give the kids (all 3 of them) a bath, read them some stories - basically give the missus a break for a few hours.

If you haven't got enough energy to do this then there's something wrong; do more exercise and eat healthier food. I can do it and I only do what I would consider minimal exercise (5-a-side for an hour, twice a week and the occasional jog round the city at lunchtime).

RAAR!

:)

Back
Top Bottom