• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4850 xfire or GTX280 for 30" LCD

Associate
I currently have a 4850 xfire setup which is now having a few issues running on my new 30" display. I am guessing due to stuff hitting the 512MB memory limit.

I have been pondering swapping them out for a GTX280, I know at lower resolutions my xfire setup will probably win out, but what about at 2560x1600? Will the extra video RAM make a difference? Also all the CUDA and PhysX stuff is interesting. Plus I play a lot of FFXI which has a really old engine, absolutely no xfire support and it seems to like pure pixel throughput over anything else.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for any advice, and boo hiss at any fanboy comments! :p

Associate
OP
+1
You may be rather underwhelmed by the PhysX stuff though. The PhysX demos are nothing to rave over.

Yea, I kinda guessed that. But it does give promise of more to come.

So unless the x2 suddenly loses a ton from the price I reckon team green is the one for me.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Let me know how it performs for you dude. I am currently in the same situation and wondering if I need to get a bit more "umph" from a gfx card.

Ta,

Agent

If you're at 2560x1600 then I'd recommend the X2 4870. If you are at 1920x1200 and could live with 4-8xAA (maybe more) then the GTX 280 would be the better buy due to price.

Associate
If you're at 2560x1600 then I'd recommend the X2 4870. If you are at 1920x1200 and could live with 4-8xAA (maybe more) then the GTX 280 would be the better buy due to price.

hhmm.. Good advice.

I do enjoy my 2560 x 1600 gaming and this is really going to be the last time I get to upgrade my PC for another 2 years (becoming a student for that time and cash-in will be at an all time low and therefore no cash-flow). :p

Ideas on the price of the X2 4870 dropping in price / competition?

Agent

J.D

J.D

Soldato
hhmm.. Good advice.

I do enjoy my 2560 x 1600 gaming and this is really going to be the last time I get to upgrade my PC for another 2 years (becoming a student for that time and cash-in will be at an all time low and therefore no cash-flow). :p

Ideas on the price of the X2 4870 dropping in price / competition?

Agent

If you can hang on for now then I'd wait to see how well the GTX 280+ performs and if it will bring about the reduction of the X2 4870 that we're all hoping for. ATI dropped the GTX 280 from £430 (roughly) to today's £250 so it would be nice if Nvidia could manage to do the same with ATI. Even if the GTX 280+ is faster than the GTX 280 I can't see it closing the gap too much but I feel with it creeping closer to the X2 4870 that ATI (AMD) will see fit to reduce pricing to keep the X2 4870 look tempting.

So I'm hoping for price drops when the GTX 280+ is launched and that is only hope :(.

If you are going to be using this PC for two years with little cash to upgrade in this time then I think you should get the best of the best. Especially @ 2560x1600. So my advice would be to wait, see what the GTX 280+ does to the X2 4870 pricing and pick this card up then. From gaming benchmarks I have see it simply is the best card at 2560x1600.

Associate
OP
Well the x2 is installed.

I cannot see the Crossfire tab in the CCC, is this correct for a x2 card? (I guess it makes sense, but I would like confirmation)

Back
Top Bottom