Ever wanted a Mercedes? Well you won't now..

Associate
Madness! Why not choose someone with a sliver of class?

Going through the Olympics, we have plenty of good looking, classy, understated Olympians making the papers with their gold medals. How about Rebecca Adlington, Chris Hoy, etc...

Wayne Rooney should never be photographed without a football. And certainly not photographed next to a reflective surface like part of car, lest there be a copy of his ugly mug!

Soldato
Why choose anyone ? I don't understand why a prestige car marque needs celebrity endorsement, let alone a footballer.

Associate
When you are buying a new car, do you really give a flying .... who the 'ambassador' is for the company? Doubt it.

Not just buying a new car but a mercedes....which one could quite easily see people buying because of it's image as classy, prestigious..... and now a little bit of woah and a little bit of way...like brand.

What were merc thinking?

Associate
Cant see the problem myself. By having an old boring bloke being the face of your car you limit your appeal to older men. Because young men would just think "they make old mens cars"

you market it your cars with a younger trendier edge, and you get young people keen to buy, and you get older people thinking they are "with the times" and "groovy"

Its better than having Victor Meldrew as an ambassador

If wayne rooney is meant to be 'with the times' then id much prefer to be uncool.

Ed

Ed

Soldato
:eek:

As said by Ed, the kinda guy to promote Benz should be slightly older, millionaire (if not BILLIONAIRE!), some kind of business mind, not the dream of a 14 year old kid (and people who read the Sun daily, (awaits fire :p ))

Ideal candidate....erm.....some sort of actor in his 30s. Even David Beckham could pull it off I think, but Rooney? No way.
Whilst I agree he's a chav, and not a rolemodel for the typical Mercedes patron, it might be a attempt to tap into the young, nouveau rich market.

I'm sure it isn't as silly as it may seem on the surface....they'll have an angle.
Why choose anyone ? I don't understand why a prestige car marque needs celebrity endorsement, let alone a footballer.

Taking a simplistic view:
  • An enthusiast (minority) will buy a car based on their knowledge of its dynamic abilities and specifications as well as a shrewder look at the running costs over the lifespan of ownership.
  • A knowist (larger minority) will buy a car based on its CO2 output, fuel consumption and torque as well as practicality and reliability.
  • A lifestylist (majority) will buy a car based on its identity and image.
The identity and image of a car is clever in that it can also convey perceived reliability, quality, performance etc and these impressions form part of the lifestylists purchasing decision.

Now, what does Merc have over BMW? Don't answer this yourself but ask you mothers or sisters. I just asked my other half and she told me that BMW's are good but Mercs are more reliable and more exclusive, therefore better/posher. How is this opinion formed? She once asked me where the battery goes in a solar powered calculator. Dumb, but cute (the way I like 'em).

Is there any mention of Coleen forming any relationship with the manufacturer? This could be a positive move for both Wayne and Mercedes and she has slightly more credibility than he does (according to her indoors anyway).

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone who says they are not envious of Rooney is clearly lying.

I'm sure most people would be very happy to take the perks of a footballer, but being widely regarded as a knuckle dragging moron, and having to spend a great deal of time playing a particularly stupid ball game, spectated by thousands of people whose IQ is possibly even lower than Rooneys is far too heavy a price to pay IMO.

If I had the chance to be Rooney right now I wouldn't take it.

Soldato
I'm sure most people would be very happy to take the perks of a footballer, but being widely regarded as a knuckle dragging moron, and having to spend a great deal of time playing a particularly stupid ball game, spectated by thousands of people whose IQ is possibly even lower than Rooneys is far too heavy a price to pay IMO.

Ermmm excuse me?

Are you saying millions of people in this country are dumber than than Wayne Rooney?

Not to mention the millions of millions of people worldwide who love football.

Man of Honour
I have you the answer sometime back...

They did it to get column inches and debate, that has a value. The typical Merc buyer has changed and they want to extend those sales so see him has one way of getting at a broader demographic. Debating what you all think a merc driver used to be is of little relevance when you take into account that Merc simply want to sell more cars and appreciate that to do that they need to broaden their messaging.

Lots of MU and England fansn will buy and own new mercs, unlike the vast majority of this forum including me. What we many percieve their brand value to mean bares little resemblence to what it actually is today. They will still be supporting motor racing, golf and other such sports, but they now have a bigger audiance outside their more typical clients. That is your answer...

Soldato
Its a very strange situation....

But on the other hand, if any one wants to go and buy a brand new Mercedes, I very much doubt that this will have much of an influence either way.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Its a very strange situation....

But on the other hand, if any one wants to go and buy a brand new Mercedes, I very much doubt that this will have much of an influence either way.

qfft.

tim henman was sponsored by jaguar, and i don't think many prospective jaguar customers were put off by the fact that he was **** :p

Soldato
I can't see how it'd make a difference either way if you were buying a Merc tbh, I think housemaster is about right with the reasons merc have done this.

Some peoples opinions of him are quiet laughable though, somehow this knuckle dragging chav muppet with the IQ of a dung beetle has managed to get himself into a position far above most others in life. Getting paid extremely well to do a job he loves and few others can do, earning his employers millions of pounds a year, and being the patron of two charities and doing work for countless others. Somehow I doubt he's as daft as you make out, I don't think he woke up one morning and fell into that position.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
I think the word "Ambassador" was probably the wrong word to use, basically similar to a lot of other football players.

MB Give them cars to run around in FOC.

Back
Top Bottom