Npower touting for business.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
A couple of years ago when I was trying to decide what to do for my career I answered one of those little ads in the paper "Young company experiencing massive growth is recruiting exciting people NOW to make lots of money!" purely out of interest to see what the deal was. I phoned them up and an excitable chap asked me to come in the next day for a chat and they'd see what they could sort me out with.

I arrived in a suit at an expensive looking office in London and there was a long presentation about the company and how fast it was growing, how much money this guy had made, then how much this other guy had made but no hints as to what the nature of the business was. There was a short lunch break and we got to meet some of the guys who worked there, who were waiting for us in another room. They all had clip boards and little packs of stuff and were basically ready to go out and do business. We were told we'd be out shadowing them as they worked to see what it was like.

It turns out they were out reselling electricity plans for Npower, basically cold-calling businesses on a preplanned route. They got a commission from every shop owner who switched to Npower. It was a roasting hot day and I was in a black suit so I was boiling over. After about an hour of watching this guy get no business I decided my scope for earning money here was nill and to call it a day. I sarcastically wished him luck and went my own way.

I'd never really heard of Npower back then but since I've learned first hand that they are a pain of a company to deal with. If you've ever had dealings with them I can almost guarantee you've had problems and you'll be swearing never to go back to them no matter what their carrot on a stick offer is. Family and friends have had similar problems and we are all happy with our new power suppliers.

A couple of nights back, in fact it was 7pm on Sunday night, there was a knock at the door...

"Hi, it's the electricity company, please can you let us in?" (I live in a flat)

Strange time for the electricity company to call, especially since I am on a direct debit and I call them with my meter readings, so I put my shoes on and went down myself. Two guys in suits standing at the door, clipboards and little packs of stuff.

"Hello we're from Npower and we were wondering if..."

I cut them short and told them I wasn't interested.

"but..."

No, really, I'm not interested.

"Are you with British Gas?"

A cheap shot. I closed the door at this point. In hindsight I feel like I should have been really rude to them on the doorstep. People like this are a nuisance enough but when they are from a company who almost everyone I know has had problems with I can't believe they still have the cheek to send out mugs like these guys to try and reel me back in. I hope others are clever enough to see through the ploy.

Last edited:
Soldato
We had a wide-boy Npower guy turn up at our flat when at Uni and unfortunately the onl guy who was in was Agassi, the least gifted of us. Fortunately we turned up just as he was signing up and had to threaten the guy to give us the paperwork back so we could tear it up. He'd basically lied to the most naive bloke I know and so Agassi just signed on the dotted line.

Also, I've seen this at work, were they signed up a woman with dementia and her family came to question the DD. not satisfied with the indemnity claim, they signed her up again. I really hope the the guy loses his marbles and suffers greatly at the hands of a ****** like him.

Associate
I nearly came to blows with one of these guys who called at my mothers house.I was in the front room assembling a piece of flat pack furniture,so as you can imagine my temper was already frayed:mad:
One of these guys spent half an hour at the front door trying to convince my mother to change her supplier,and would not take no for an answer despite her saying atleast six or seven times that she did'nt want to change.In the end I went to the front door and told him we are not interested and to go away.................his reply

"I was'nt talking to you,I was talking to the lady".

There was literally smoke coming out of my ears lol,I grabbed him by the throat and pushed him across the garden,and slammed the door.The next night someone threw an egg at the living room window...............I wonder who that was lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I love the ones that, when you shut the door on them, they stand outside pretending to be menacing in the hope that you'll open the door and do business with them. I was tempted to re-open the door and tell them to **** off of my property before I call the police.

Soldato
If they're asked to leave and refuse, they're in breach of the own code of practice for selling energy. It's quite strict on them, but the problem is that no-one complains. If you have someone at your door being an arse, contact the company, let them know what you think.

Failing that, the throat-throwing keyboardacrosstheface method seems to be effective.

Man of Honour
If they don't leave after the first request and they're "menacing you" by staying there, could you claim self defence and kick the **** out of them?

I'd like to do that. They signed up my student house while I was at uni - don't live with dumb girls, people.

Soldato
A young chap from nPower called last week, he looked about 14 and had an equally green looking companion who stayed about 3m away from the door and looked like he was about to wet his pants.

I gave the kid a chance as he's only doing his job. I admitted that I was looking to switch supplier but when he claimed that if I looked on Uswitch I'd see they were the cheapest, I called him out. I'd looked the week before & nPower were nowhere near the cheapest. To be fair to him he wasn't pushy & didn't try to get me to sign anything, just left me with a couple of leaflets with their 'prices' on.

Wouldn't bloody shut up though, the little git had verbal incontinence & kept me on the doorstep for 20 mins.

Soldato
Had a run in with nPower a few years ago. Usual cold call at front door, answered and listened to the spiel form the salesman, told him i wasn't interested and shut the door. 2 weeks later i get a letter through the post thanking me for joining npower for both my electricity and gas and that my bank details were illegible so they wanted them again to set up the direct debit.

Took me about 3 months of phone calls etc to nPower and British Gas (my then supplier) to get it all sorted out. In the end i had to go to the energy ombudsman to get it sorted. Gave them all my details and my version of events. Turned out the tosspot who was doing the cold calling was signing up every other house who wasn't already with npower and falsifying the applications.

To this day if they say they are with Npower now they get told to **** right off as soon as they mention the name.

uv

uv

Soldato
I used to sell npower door to door.. soul destroying job, I lasted two weeks before going awol.

If I get salespeople at the door nowadays, I feel sorry for them!

Associate
A cheap shot. I closed the door at this point. In hindsight I feel like I should have been really rude to them on the doorstep. People like this are a nuisance enough but when they are from a company who almost everyone I know has had problems with I can't believe they still have the cheek to send out mugs like these guys to try and reel me back in. I hope others are clever enough to see through the ploy.

why should you have been rude to the guys just doing their job? these guys work for npower, they are not npower.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
why should you have been rude to the guys just doing their job? these guys work for npower, they are not npower.
There's nothing I hate more than cold callers or being disturbed on my time. I didn't ask them to come and bother me when I was relaxing on a Sunday night and I certainly didn't ask them to come round and try and sign me up for something. I'll go to them if I want their service thanks.

I feel sorry for them more than I am angry at them and I'm constantly amused by the low levels they'll stoop to.

I should have shouted up the stairwell "EVERYONE, THE GUYS AT THE DOOR ARE FROM NPOWER AND THEY'RE TRYING TO SIGN YOU UP. TELL THEM TO SOD OFF" :D

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Virgin MEdia, British Gas, nPower etc all come knocking on my door. So much so I have put a ban on using the front door. I live on a main road in a small town but its quite accessible and easily targeted.

This is my first house but I've grown up in the sticks where you don't get this kind of harassment unless its some religous nutters. I don't have many visits mainly due to having a **** hole of a house and being embarassed about it so I've simply stopped answering the door now. I also never answer my landline and I have signed up to telephone preference services. People know to call my mobile instead.

I feel sorry for people who are enticed by in your face TV advertising and cold calling. These unavoidable interuptions and confrontations infuriate me. If I want/need something I will research and buy it for myself using the most reliable neutral sources I can find as reccomendation.

That's the beauty of the internet I suppose! Before then, having to go to the highstreet walking around comparing prices and collateral must have been such a stressful nightmare.

Associate
There's nothing I hate more than cold callers or being disturbed on my time. I didn't ask them to come and bother me when I was relaxing on a Sunday night and I certainly didn't ask them to come round and try and sign me up for something. I'll go to them if I want their service thanks.
fair enough, i dont like cold calling either i just dont see the point in getting angry with people at the door, id sooner just ignore them knocking or just answer and tell them politely im not interested.

Associate
I had this about a month ago, as I was actually interested to see if he could offer a better deal I let him run thru the figures. He proceded to calculate it incorrectly and claimed I would save a fiver a month.

I took his calculator and ran through the calculation step by step with him which showed that actually it would cost about 7 quid more!

He sheepishly skulked out the door with a red face..

The thing is, some people out there probably just take the sales persons word and sign up.

Last edited:
Permabanned
haha I had the same round here.

I was moving some huge slabs from the boot of my car and could see them working their way up the road.

When he got to me...

"Hi sir, is this a good time to have your attention for a second?"

"Does it ******* look like it?!"

...Not taking the hint...

"Oh, do you need any double glazing doing to your house at all?"

"Again, does it ******** look like it..."

"Ok, Byeee"

:D

Back
Top Bottom