LAN help!

Associate
ok ive got a really weird problem atm.

I have a network setup using my DG834 netgear router. Its connected to my host pc ( local IP 192.168.0.5), my bros pc ( local .0.4) and a lappy ( local .0.12).

OK, so the main pc can see all shared folders and access everything with ease via the "my network places" folder. I can ping my brother's computer's IP and computer name and i do get a reply. however when it comes to networking for games for example, My brother's machine can see both of us in the game lobby ( on my brothers machine), and i can only see myself ( on the main machine). if he however hosts a game, i can see the game, but cannot join. if i host a game on the main machine , its invisible to him.

I'm totally lost as to why this is, as the ip addresses are reserved, and all router settings seem fine:

Firmware Version V4.01.37 ( latest)

ADSL Port
MAC Address <ive hidden this unless its needed>
IP Address 86.158.71.120
Network Type PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address 217.47.186.122
Domain Name Server 62.6.40.178 (prim)
194.72.0.98 (secondary)
< ive made this the default DNS serv for all computers on network>

LAN Port
MAC Address 00:18:4d:ac:b7:56
IP Address 192.168.0.1 < router address>
DHCP On

any ideas?

Associate
OP
its currently disabled, ive tested it both on and off, and there is no effect. this is just the windows firewall ( i'm on XP SP3 official). hardware firewall accepts all connections on local network without question according to the control panel.

Associate
OP
addresses are all reserved manually. all machines are running xp sp2, except the host machine, which is running sp3, however this problem was still occurring while under sp2, and ive just double checked this using a virtual copy of xp sp2 ( on Parallels Workstation).

Back
Top Bottom