Samsung sneaks out snazzy 3G iPhone rival... the Omnia.

Soldato
:eek:

I just phoned Orange. Apparently everyone is being charged £299.99 for the phone and there are no discounts for higher contracts (I'm on a £25 per month contract). Plus data is £8 a month even on the expensive contracts. I thought is was free on £35+ contracts?

I was talking to the people on the 'to upgrade your phone' number. Who are the best people to talk to?

Associate
Whoever it was who told you that is talking rubbish. I got my phone free on the Dolphin 30 plan. Ask to talk to someone in retentions.

The data is £8 a month though - apparently the unlimited deal was a month long offer only.

Soldato
Vodafone upgrades have been courtesy calling me almost every day this week, but I've been missing their calls... When I've called back they've either got no more info about the Omnia or they just give me some random time for its release on their network :mad:

But today was different. They rang and I answered! They're now saying the 26th August for a release. Worryingly though, when I asked about which variant they were going to be doing, the guy pulled up the factsheet or whatever and relayed back to me the spec he had in front of him...

Internal memory: 8gb (16gb max)

Now I know the 16gb max is nonsense, but I'll be a bit annoyed if they are only going to be doing the 8gb version. He went on to say that the info sheet was the first notification that they had been given by Samsung and it was very likely that it would be out of date and inaccurate. I'll just have to wait and see Tuesday, he's ringing me back.

If they are only going to be doing the 8gb version, I shall be using it to my bartering advantage when it comes to negotiating the terms of my new contract - ideally a 12 month, xx mins, xx texts, free web and free insurance ;)

SW.

Soldato
My girlfriend wants this phone as her current phone has recently died.

Is it only available at Phones 4 U on Orange for £35pm?

That is the only place I have seen it, despite checking T-mobile, O2 etc.. websites

Soldato
I see Orange have the Omnia up on there site now? The cheapest the phone can be had for is £49.99 on a 24 month contract :eek:

It doesn't say if you're getting the 8/16gb version tho.

How come you (Orange) guys have all been getting the phone for free and on such good contracts? I guess it's worth making that call...

SW.

Edit: Just had a look on the Vody site and it looks like they've got it now and the contracts look fantastic! Shame they're only doing the 8gb version tho :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I see Orange have the Omnia up on there site now? The cheapest the phone can be had for is £49.99 on a 24 month contract :eek:

It doesn't say if you're getting the 8/16gb version tho.

How come you (Orange) guys have all been getting the phone for free and on such good contracts? I guess it's worth making that call...

SW.

Edit: Just had a look on the Vody site and it looks like they've got it now and the contracts look fantastic! Makes me wonder if it is only the 8gb version their doing tho :(

Has anyone actually received a 8gb version on contract yet?

Vodaphone have 600mins unlimited texts, unlimited internet, free Omnia at £35 a month. For that price, i dont care that its 8GB. That was my perfect deal to be honest, but going by people experiences on this thread, im going to see what the I8510 offers before i choose :o

Soldato
Vodaphone have 600mins unlimited texts, unlimited internet, free Omnia at £35 a month. For that price, i dont care that its 8GB. That was my perfect deal to be honest, but going by people experiences on this thread, im going to see what the I8510 offers before i choose :o
I've been away for a few days and I haven't had a chance to trawl through all of the owners thread - are things now not looking too good for the Omnia now then? I was going to have a good read on Monday :p

Thinking about it i will probably end up getting the 8gb with Vody. I can always get a 16gb memory card when they come out or become more readily available...

SW.

Soldato
I've been away for a few days and I haven't had a chance to trawl through all of the owners thread - are things now not looking too good for the Omnia now then? I was going to have a good read on Monday :p

Thinking about it i will probably end up getting the 8gb with Vody. I can always get a 16gb memory card when they come out or become more readily available...

SW.

People have had issues that has put me off, richdog said the screen sensetivity wasn't very good. But i haven't had a go of one myself.

Ill wait untill the I8510 is out, by that time the Omnia should have had a ROM update to fix some issues. Hopfully Orange will have the 8GB with the same package as Voda.

Associate
Speaking as an owner, i can say the phone is amazing...please look through the the owners thread...

and the sensitivity of the screen is 10/10 it hasnt missed one button press yet, even when i had the protective screen on for the first 3 days (i just pressed a little harder) and i can navigate the whole thing with my fingers, even the small wm6.1 settings...and Camelot i just posted the pictures u wanted in the owners thread :)

edit: and i think richdog just had an unlucky experience

Soldato
Well Vodafone still haven't got any stock of the Omnia apparently... I rang them yesterday and they said it had only been released that day and because it was Bank Holiday they hadn't had any deliveries. Spoke to another salesperson today who said it would be delivered tomorrow :o

The saga continues then for Vodafone customers after this handset.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone here who has bought this phone online and whether or not you have been given a confirmed delivery date yet? Some agents are still saying September 5th for release on Vodafone.

SW.

Back
Top Bottom