• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Catalyst 8.8 released

Associate
just installed 8.8 onto my system x64 and hopped onto crysis to flashing, crackling, pretty much a white flickering screen :(

i just installed it right over 8.7 though, should I have uninstalled them all first?

J.D

J.D

Soldato
i installed the one i linked and its worked fine,

on the other hand i'm not going to be in my wifes good books, my problem is fixed now that i have sp1 installed so the second gfx card purchase wasn't needed after all :o lucky me has crossfire now though :D

Good news :D. Blame Microsoft for making it difficult on installing SP1 the first time round ;).

Soldato
ok its definately fixed, getting about 80fps average with 1 card at highest settings without any mods and 8xAA @1280x1024 and about 110fps in crossfire by renaming the game .exe to AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe

crossfire gains should be a bit better on the tv which i'll test tomorrow :D

J.D

J.D

Soldato
ok its definately fixed, getting about 80fps average with 1 card at highest settings without any mods and 8xAA @1280x1024 and about 110fps in crossfire by renaming the game .exe to AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe

crossfire gains should be a bit better on the tv which i'll test tomorrow :D

Oh!. Did you have to rename Grid.exe to get it working then?. I seen Final8y say that with a driver release (can't remember), the need to rename the .exe wasn't needed any longer as it now worked with his 3x3870s. I'll need to pass this onto my m8 so he can test out to see if he is getting the gains.

Soldato
yeah i had to rename it, if i didn't i couldn't see anything. the car in the garage when you select your options was invisible with only the wheels were there and HDR was pure white.

still to test it on the tv but not had time yet.

No renaming needed on the 3870 line of cards now but im surprised that its needed on the 4870.

Associate
Hmmmm... just installed a 4870 x2, and in some games I can ONLY set the screen to 800x600 (ie. C&C3). I can see the other options, but the screen stays at 800x600. Also, when I exit, my desktop is 800x600, and Catalyst Control Center cannot see any other resolutions - it doesn't list any!!

Anyone have any ideas?

Associate
This still doesn't fix my problem of it going about half the speed when I come back from standby :/

just wondering, is there some other way to select edge detect aa in another program because it's the onlything I have CCC installed for and it's just another program eating up ram

Last edited:
Soldato
These drivers seem to be a bit better for me, have got rid of a load of corruption I was getting in Crysis. On the negative side they have cut my FPS in half in Furmark - was getting 100fps+ in the test, now lucky to get ~50fps.

Soldato
durzel are your soft shadows scores about half too?

ati added something to OGL in the 8.7's i think and that killed my scores with my 3870 but then i got the 4850 and they were up again but the 8.8's killed them again.

edit; it was the 8.6's they added ogl AA or something,

Last edited:
Soldato
durzel are your soft shadows scores about half too?

ati added something to OGL in the 8.7's i think and that killed my scores with my 3870 but then i got the 4850 and they were up again but the 8.8's killed them again.

edit; it was the 8.6's they added ogl AA or something,
What's "soft shadows scores" ? Is that something in Furmark?

All I know is my Furmark (which is OpenGL) FPS has been cut in half, but other games (DirectX) seem to be unaffected and just as fast as before. If it weren't for the fact I was getting some serious corruption in Crysis I would've gone back to the CD drivers.

Associate
These drivers seem to be a bit better for me, have got rid of a load of corruption I was getting in Crysis. On the negative side they have cut my FPS in half in Furmark - was getting 100fps+ in the test, now lucky to get ~50fps.

Yeah, I have exactly the same thing. But the Vantage mark seems a bout right and the performance in games seems as good. So, I'm not really too bothered.

Soldato
What's "soft shadows scores" ? Is that something in Furmark?

All I know is my Furmark (which is OpenGL) FPS has been cut in half, but other games (DirectX) seem to be unaffected and just as fast as before. If it weren't for the fact I was getting some serious corruption in Crysis I would've gone back to the CD drivers.

its another OGL benchmark from the same people who make furmark, and im the same, it only seems to be OGL affected as everything else runs nice :D

Soldato
just tested grid on the tv at highest ingame settings with 8xAA and i get 50 fps average with a single card and 28fps average with crossfire enabled.

pretty gutted about that as it looked quite promising from the results at 1280x1024 :(

3dmark06 scales pretty well though, 1920x1080 with 2xAA and 8xAF scores 13766 :)

Last edited:

J.D

J.D

Soldato
just tested grid on the tv at highest ingame settings with 8xAA and i get 50 fps average with a single card and 28fps average with crossfire enabled.

pretty gutted about that as it looked quite promising from the results at 1280x1024 :(

3dmark06 scales pretty well though, 1920x1080 with 2xAA and 8xAF scores 13766 :)

4xAA and you will be good. My m8 runs into the Vram limitation on his 4870s @ 1920x1200 8xAA as do I. I can get it playable @ 2048x1536 4xAA but this was with an overclock of 850Mhz core and 1050Mhz mem :). Honestly the difference between 4xAA and 8xAA isn't all that great. When you realise this and play the game at the near same 4xAA at incredible frame rates the disappointment disappears ;).

Soldato
yeah but i get half the fps in crossfire than i do with a single card with the same settings. i only used those settings to see the gains of crossfire, 4xAA is more than enough at that res.

i was hoping i would get around 80fps with crossfire compared to 50fps that i get with a single card but instead i get 28fps.

Soldato
Does anyone know if Adaptive AA is worth having on? If i enable it, and launch EVE, EVE looks jaggy and the FPS hits 500+ even with Vysnc enabled...yet if i disable it, Everything comes back to normal and i stick at 60fps with vsync and all the graphics are super smooth. I just cant work out what and if i need it.

Card is a HD4850

Back
Top Bottom