Any opinions on o2 broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Hello,

Thinking of moving to o2 broadband from ADSL24 due to download limits,(Peak Usage/Off Peak Usage)

Currently paying £34.99 for 2 Mbps Unlimited due to them dropping the 8 Mbps Unlimited packages a while back before Xmas

How does o2 handle with Speeds and fair Usage?
Dont do much downloading other then downloading the odd game updates (WOW,CS etc)

Associate
Sorry guys but this still stands at the moment. I very quickly get inundated with these requests and it's not fair to expect you guys to wait for me to get through them. I will post here as soon as I start doing them again.

No worries, I understand. Just missed your previous post else I wouldn't have bothered you.

Soldato
dear god i have been with o2 for 12 days now and already am thinking of leaving them

slow speeds
crap customer service
**** poor isp alround so far

just finished the 10 day period and not once did my line go above 1/2mb, i no from my other isp that my line can take 5mb no problem, it takes 5min to load the bbc page its not possible to view clips on youtube at all or the trailers on apple, the customer service gimps past me round from department to department saying there is not a problem, every time they say they will phone me back either on landline on mobile they dont at all i have to chase them up about it :mad: one ****ed of customer:mad:

Caporegime
Are you on O2's LLU service, or via BT Wholesale? Only the latter has a "10 day period", though without stats it's impossible to comment on the issue you've got...

Soldato
Are you on O2's LLU service, or via BT Wholesale? Only the latter has a "10 day period", though without stats it's impossible to comment on the issue you've got...

theres no o2 llu on my exchange, o2 have just redeemed themselfs abit though just been on the phone to one of the guys on the second team/line(something like that) any way 35min later after the poor guy had done pretty much everything he could his manager and himself have found a bt fault, cant remember the tech speak but the jist of it is that the line is syncing at 5mb which they are seeing on there side and me via the router but the bt line has been blocking it at certain points, so now i have to wait for bt to fix the fault and for another 10 day period :(

happy days

Caporegime
Run the BT Speedtest (instructions in sticky). It should give you a value for your IP profile - it sounds like that's the problem.

The 10 day period is irrelevant - if it is your IP profile that's sticky, it should increase within a couple of days (if your connection is stable at least). If it isn't increasing within a few days, start biting their ear again.

O2's BT Wholesale sounds a lot like a lame afterthought so far...

Permabanned
Going on my experience with them on their Home Access package I would avoid like the plague, first line support are shocking.. most company's first line is anyway. The LLU seems to be brilliant though, I only wish it was available in this desolate **** hole of a town.

Soldato
Going on my experience with them on their Home Access package I would avoid like the plague, first line support are shocking.. most company's first line is anyway. The LLU seems to be brilliant though, I only wish it was available in this desolate **** hole of a town.

Which town are you in? Most of Northern Ireland has been activated and i got my LLU order done last Thursday with activation this Friday coming.

Man of Honour
OP
For what it's worth, I signed up for the IP Stream product and have been nothing but impressed. Syncing at 6mb and getting 600ks, simple as that! Paying £12.50 with discount, on the phone they were a bit 'confused' about whether I was due to a discount, with me being unable to get LLU. Talked them round eventually though!

Soldato

how wierd is this i just got an email this morning from samknows telling me that

O2 / Be Unlimited has set an enablement date of 30/10/2008 for the Ripon exchange

thats for LLU :)

Associate
Friends&family scheme discount plea

Are there any more kind souls here on the forum, who work for O2 and can help us obtain this nice friends&family scheme discount? Please, please, please, help us if you can!

Soldato
Our BT Line was activated last week. How long should I wait before ordering Broadband. Our exchange is O2 LLU so I should in theory be able to go onto there Ultimate Package. However it shows that the package available is the Premium. It's a step in the right direction as yesterday it said it was the standard.

Also does anyone know how to calculate the potential line speed given the distance from the exchange ?

Caporegime
Standard, Premium and Ultimate are all via O2's LLU. Which it'll let you order will depend on what they think your line can handle - Premium means that they think your line will get somewhere between 8 and 16Mbps. Order that, and if it can handle more they should let you upgrade later.

Loki said:
Also does anyone know how to calculate the potential line speed given the distance from the exchange ?

Not without a crystal ball. Distance from the exchange is meaningless.

Soldato
Not without a crystal ball. Distance from the exchange is meaningless.

Ahh ok.

I seen someone post up a graph the other week and for the life of me I can't find it. It gave some very rough speeds. Im just thinking it's a waste of time going for any of the premium packages with anyone if I could potentially only get a maximum of say 5 meg down stream

Caporegime
Yeah, there's graphs thrown around with distance on one scale but they're rubbish. Forget about them because you're never going to get that sort of accuracy.

Soldato
How is best to calculate potential line speed ? Prob a n00bish question but I have been on cable for the past 2 years. Recently swapped out TV & Telephone to Sky & BT respectively so what I don't want to do is jump ship entirely on the broadband if I am never going to get anywhere near cable speeds on ADSL.

I am happy to sacrifice some download speed if it is a little cheaper but it's a waste of time me paying for something from Be There, 02 or Sky if I am never going to achieve it, I might as well just go on cable 10mb package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom