Publishers considering reverting back to Cardboard boxes for games?

Soldato
I'm a sucker for collectors editions of game so I suppose that doesn't really affect me as long as they don't stop making those.

Commissario
As I said in that thread a couple of months ago, nothing compares to the smell of a newly opened cardboard PC game box. I look forward to that smell again.

watchout.gif

You don't sniff the boxes do you?

I used to love some of the old card boxes artwork (I've still got the original warcraft 2, starcraft, wing commander and mech warrior 2 boxes because of the artwork), but in terms of storage the DVD cases are much better.

Soldato
Yeah you're right, maybe if we keep making these small pointless changes, we might be able to reduce the CO2 output of this planet by 1%.

Or, WE could all just not care about anything eco-friendly at all, and let Earth turn into Venus' bigger brother due to all the greenhouse gases building up :rolleyes:

Associate
Lol at "Steam is the future".

The markup Steam charges for new (none valve) titles is an absolute p-take.

Just look at COD4 and Bioshock, they're still going for $70 and $55 respectively, and that's before tax!

How's that the future?

Soldato
Or, WE could all just not care about anything eco-friendly at all, and let Earth turn into Venus' bigger brother due to all the greenhouse gases building up :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah that smile is great isn't it.

Anyway, my point is that small changes make no difference. Such as changing plastic DVD cases to cardboard ones.

Associate
The pricing isnt valves fault though for the most part, the publishers force that price for their own purposes, mostly ensuring that other companies still sell their games on their shelves.

Soldato
I hated it when PC games started being sold in DVD cases. I always loved opening up the big box for a new game and reading the manual (yes they had actual manuals back then) on the way home. The last game like that was Civ4 and even that wasn't a proper box, atleast it had a manual though.

Soldato
I prefer the DVD cases. If all my DVD games cases were in box form, my room would be overflowing. Id have nowhere to put them

I can put 20 or so DVD cases in a plastic storage box and they are all neat and easily accessible.

Card is easily damaged and creased. DVD cases are far better imo.

Associate
In terms of CO2 emissions your kidding your self if you think that theres going to be one big thing that will save the planet. Its going to take many small changes (altho this is v small, it all helps).

Also steam is the future :p

Associate
Always hated the big cardboard boxes myself. The jewel case on the right in that picture though is worse. They just break from looking at them. Eugh.

Soldato
Yeah, because consoles will never go the same way...... honest!

Then i'll quit gaming altogether.

I'm not allowing Valve or some other company the ability to choose when I do or do not play my games.

If Valve or Steam ever got into financial trouble and disappeared, you don't know what will happen to your games.

Back
Top Bottom