Double DIN ICE - Pioneer FH-P80BT

Associate
Looking for a cheapish double din unit for the mr2. The 17 year-old cd player worked perfectly when I bought it, but I killed it within the space of a few hours, probably by playing CDR's on it :o

I had a Pioneer DEH-77MP in a previous car which I loved, and it sounded great. Saw this FH-P80BT and thought it was sexual, though I don't know much about it.

b_fhp80bt.jpg

I can't find any mention of the Burr brown? DACS, which I believe were the reason for the great quality on the 77MP. Anyone know if this has them, or would I be better off with something else around the same price?

I will probably only be using the unit to drive a couple of reasonable quality coax jobbies, no fancy subs etc.

Cheers

Associate
OP
That does look pretty good. Could be tempted by one for the mx5, but the prospect of carrying around the face off isn't too inviting.

Just bosh it in the glovebox tbh. By the time sombody has smashed your window to see if you left it in there you already have an insurance claim anyway...

Associate
Was looking at one when it first came out, but for its specs it's a tad expensive. The only plus side it had Bluetooth so you can connect your phone. You can get much more for less with a single Din and adapter plate.

Soldato
I just put one in my celica, loving it! its one sexy unit, sound quality is awsome too. It has brought the stock speakers to life, and the SQ is excellent.. Bluetooth and ipod functionality is top notch too, its a classy looking, seriously good looking system. One downside is the there is NO removable fascia, but if you MR2 is anything like my celica (which it should be) then it is an absolute mission to take it out, i cant see anybody stealing it unless they know celicas/MR2s well. I think its ok for the price; dont need sat nav/screen as i have a tomtom and im never going to watch anything while driving!

i cant recommend it enough; only downside i guess is that its a bit of a finger [rint magnet. ill try taking some pics if i get time later. Go to pioneers site to see more pics.

Associate
hi mate. was looking at this one too, it's easily the nicest looking double din around for the money.

will this work fine with a v1 iphone do you know?

also i take it you connect it via a usb at the back so you have full ipod control?

Soldato
I have a N95 8gb; there is an issue in getting it working out the box, but all i did was update the firmware and it worked, there is a good thread on the talkaudio forums about it. i should expect it to work with the iphone too. Yo uupload your phone book from the phone and can do everything from the unit, its amazing! Also with the supplied microphone, conversations are crystal clear too (thats what i have been told by people on the other end of the line). Yeah there is direct control from the back via usb; a cable is supplied. Its the first time i have used a unit via usb; there is no lag that i have heard that affects other units; navigating playlists is a doddle with the centre control. It supports usb sticks too. It also supports bluetooth audio; i can listen to music over bluetooth from my phone directly through the unit!

I was really umming and ahhing about spending this much on a unit; compared to my last pioneer it blows it away. Everybody who has seen it loves the way it looks. Its easy to use and it also has 3 pre-outs; think ill make use of them with amp(s) and a sub.

Last edited:
Soldato
taken straight from the manual:

iPod® compatibility
This unit can control and listen to songs on an iPod. This unit supports only the following iPods.

Supported iPod software versions are shown below. Older versions of iPod software may not be supported.
— iPod fifth generation (software version 1.2.1)
— iPod nano first generation (software version 1.3.1)
— iPod nano second generation (software version 1.1.3)
— iPod nano third generation (software version 1.0.2)
— iPod classic (software version 1.0.2)
— iPod touch (software version 1.1.1)

I dont know if it means the iphone is supported, but it supports the ipod touch so im guessing it will.

Soldato
That actually looks really nice. Ive been thinking about a new headunit but I really hate that everything on the market looks really out of place in most cars, so ive stayed with the stock Ford unit. This one looks like it might fit the bill though.

Back
Top Bottom