Publishers considering reverting back to Cardboard boxes for games?

Caporegime
Then i'll quit gaming altogether.

I'm not allowing Valve or some other company the ability to choose when I do or do not play my games.

If Valve or Steam ever got into financial trouble and disappeared, you don't know what will happen to your games.

errr how do valve choose when you play your games?:confused:

And if they go out of business (which is very unlikely) they will probbably just let people download the .Iso's for back up.

Caporegime
Lots of ignorant people = dead earth.

BAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You do realize even the most outlandishly fatal Global warming theories don;t make the earth uninhabitable. Far from it.

Besides why do you think a static climate is natural anyway? It's always changed all ways will. At best we can marginally affect the speed of it.

Associate
Besides why do you think a static climate is natural anyway? It's always changed all ways will. At best we can marginally affect the speed of it.

please look at some real figures for globel climate vs CO2 concentration over time, then consider your post again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Couldn't care less, what I want to see is download sites that are the same prices as the cheapest physical purchase, or cheaper. Seeing as the running, manufacturing and delivery costs are reduced.

Soldato
errr how do valve choose when you play your games?:confused:

Steam is tied to their servers. If they decide they don't want to give you access (for whatever reason) then they just disable your account.

Luckily for them I quite like HL2 and it's episode packs so I do have Steam installed. If they think i'm going to buy anything else on there though they need a reality check.

And if they go out of business (which is very unlikely) they will probbably just let people download the .Iso's for back up.

I've highlighted the word that completely breaks your argument.

Caporegime
Steam is tied to their servers. If they decide they don't want to give you access (for whatever reason) then they just disable your account.

Aside from the illegality of that?

It has to be in the T&C';s and legally enforceable.

they cant just say we don't like you.

And you could just play in off line mode.

If Valve or Steam ever got into financial trouble and disappeared, you don't know what will happen to your games.

Associate
Pleas go look at some graphs of co2/temperature/other climatic things over a long time, tell me iff you see a big ol repeating wave.

I have and I dont. I see the above over the last 10k years or so, then a sharp increasing in both COs conc and globel temp over the last 200 years. I agree it fluctuates, however the current increase is well above the norm and has yet to peak.

Caporegime
its because plastic is becoming more expensive to produce? and therefore returning back to cardboard will save them a few extra pence in terms of distributing the product.

if they REALLY wanted to reduce the emissions they would sell the game in a paper sleeve, but they still want to make their product stand out on the shelf, "add value?!" and so will continue to box em up.

Soldato
Aside from the illegality of that?

It has to be in the T&C';s and legally enforceable.

they cant just say we don't like you.

And you could just play in off line mode.

It is in the T&C's. I read them through line by line when Steam first launched and it's made clear that Steam has the right to just cut you off.

Sure, you could put it into offline mode, but what about all those who play online? Their accounts will just get severed.

And there's nothing illegal about it either, even though it should be.

I think you'll find it doesn't as it's far more likely to ever happen than what you suggested above. A company in financial trouble doesn't take the time to give two hoots about it's customers.

Soldato
It is in the T&C's. I read them through line by line when Steam first launched and it's made clear that Steam has the right to just cut you off.

Sure, you could put it into offline mode, but what about all those who play online? Their accounts will just get severed.

And there's nothing illegal about it either, even though it should be.

I think you'll find it doesn't as it's far more likely to ever happen than what you suggested above. A company in financial trouble doesn't take the time to give two hoots about it's customers.

Don't forget that although you could play in offline mode also since the games are DRMed what happens when a virus hits or your HDD crashes?

Soldato
OP
Couldn't care less, what I want to see is download sites that are the same prices as the cheapest physical purchase, or cheaper. Seeing as the running, manufacturing and delivery costs are reduced.

I agree.

In the meantime, I would prefer the cardboard boxes, expecially when they are as great as this:

IMGP2777.JPG

IMGP2778.JPG

IMGP2779.JPG

IMGP2781.JPG

Associate
And you think lots of little changes like 0.007% are going to change the planet?

Christ, you just don't get it do you. Im not gonna argue with you mate, by definition a 0.007% change will have an effect.

Tefal, im well aware of the climatic cycles throughout the ages. It will happen regardless of our input but the fact that we could be accelerating it does not bother you? Plus there is a huge difference between habitable and comfortable. If we can make a positive difference we should. There is plenty of evidence for/against global warming, but if there is a shadow of doubt caution is the best course of action.

Last edited:
Soldato
From what I can tell by browsing, the American market does not use the DVD Style casing like ourselves.. they tend to still have boxes and sleeves. Much better in my opinion.

They do :D

Here are a few shots of Call of Juarez, a fave FPS of mine, comparing the US and UK versions of the game. I got the US because it took a long while for the UK DX10 patch to come out, and at time of purchasing it wasn't out.
The UK version is on the left, US (obv) on the right, apart from the last shot which it showing the fold-out part of the US versions, and the back of the US case.

3971_image007.jpg

752_image009.jpg

8853_image011.jpg

Associate

I have read somewhere that if the got into financial trouble and went bust the steam system would download a patch that would give the user direct access to his/her games.

I have and I dont. I see the above over the last 10k years or so, then a sharp increasing in both COs conc and globel temp over the last 200 years. I agree it fluctuates, however the current increase is well above the norm and has yet to peak.
this is actually a fairly cool time i the earths history.

Christ, you just don't get it do you. Im not gonna argue with you mate, by definition a 0.007% change will have an effect.

Tefal, im well aware of the climatic cycles throughout the ages. It will happen regardless of our input but the fact that we could be accelerating it does not bother you? Plus there is a huge difference between habitable and comfortable. If we can make a positive difference we should. There is plenty of evidence for/against global warming, but if there is a shadow of doubt caution is the best course of action.
yes 0.007% will have an effect but next to none, these events is what drive evolution, human evolution (according to my friend who studies this) stagnates and jumps in accordance with these events.

I couldn't give a dam about global warming, they think that the industrial revolution help stopped another ice age over britian. and environmentalists arguments for "going green" are bad points.

pollution is a diffrent story, lowing fossil fule use makes our area cleaner and lowers our reliance on other countries ( i look a russia with gas) and renewable sources are cheaper in the long run. money, asthetics and polatics are the arguments to use tbh.

back on topic, i only have the plastic case from inside the cardboard boxes, i threw the boxes out, to big to bulcky, the new ones look smaller though

Back
Top Bottom