• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Duel GFX Query (FireGL V5600 & Radeon 4870)

Associate
Good evening,

Just a quick question, I would like to run both a FireGL V5600 and a Radeon 4870 in the same machine using a 790FX chipset. Is this possible? Assuming I would need two monitors?

The reason is that I am in need of reducing the amount of systems in my office. Currently running three machines. One is a server (network rendering and file sharing), one is a workstation (cad/dcc) and one is a test platform for dcc benchmarking in the gaming environment. I need the test platform to benchmark the polygon and texture performances so they meet publisher demands.

It would be great if I could do it all one machine (excluding the server).

Thanks for your help.

Dan.

Associate
OP
The FireGL V5600 is based on the RV630 core. It is designed to be used in CAD/DCC applications and therefore provides better all round performance compared to their gaming counterparts. Gaming cards do work but they are not streamlined for this environment. You'd be surprised at how much slower they really are. Of course, a FireGL in the gaming environment is quite pathetic compared to its gaming counterpart.

I would guess running two monitors would work. Only one way to find out really. Though I was thinking of investing in the 790GX chipset as this has the onboard chip which works alongside a dedicated GPU. Having the extra boost for the V5600 whilst gaming could possibly work.

Soldato
So I guess you still intend on using the V5600 for CAD work?

It should work, I dont see why not, but if its that much slower in games compared to the gaming counterpart I'm not sure there would be much of a point, note that the 4870 is over twice as fast as the 3870XT which is on the RV630 Core, (I think).

Back
Top Bottom