Your work flow

Soldato
Just want to know what everyone uses here when organising / processing photos from a day out?

I'm on a Canon 350, so i use Canon Utilies to rip the pics (raw) and download it onto "my docs" as the default location. Then use ZoomBrowser EX to view the photos - if i find a one i like to keep and process. Drag the raw into Photoshop CS3 and process it from then.

I know you use other software to begin the initial process of doing tweaks before throwing it Photoshop or other imaging editing software.

Tell us how you do it.

Share share share!

Associate
files inported to my "photos needing processed" folder within their own folder which consists of the date month and year - event / activity / whatever

imported to lightroom crap binned and rest processed

folder then moved with their sidecar files to my proper "photos" folder and placed in the corresponding year / month folder

Associate
I use Adobe Bridge to sort through them, assign keywords and add a star rating. Import into Photoshop and process to jpeg.

I should really take another look at Lightroom but I was put off it by the poor sharpening and noise reduction in the earlier editions.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
copy RAWs off camera to where i want them, import into lightroom, process, export to CS2 for any little bits / resize, then run synctoy to backup any changes to the backup drive.

Soldato
Raws go straight off cards or downloader, to a harddisk. Import and render previews in Aperture. Colour correction and general appearance processing also done in Aperture. Convert to 16bit Tiff, Photoshop for noise reduction/retouching. 8bit JPEG sRGB output for web, adobe RGB for printing.

Associate
Is Lightroom able to pick up when new stuff has been put into a folder ie "2008_09_01 downloaded to C:/Photos" or do you have to add them all manually?

It isn't an organiser like Adobe Bridge. You have to import pics into it but it does prompt you when a camera or storage card is connected.

Mine is set to import into Lightroom and also copy the images to the My Documents/My Pictures/RAW files folder. Within this it puts them automatically into a new folder based on date.

Soldato
Is Lightroom able to pick up when new stuff has been put into a folder ie "2008_09_01 downloaded to C:/Photos" or do you have to add them all manually?

The usual way to do it is just to import everything straight off the card. It then organises it for you; you never have to touch the files themselves in explorer.

Associate
Nikon Transfer to copy nefs of the camera(also synchs the camera's clock to the pc clock at same time)
ViewNX to have a quick peep/rate pics.
CaptureNX to do any post processing.
If it needs more tweaking then saved a Tif and imported into Photoshop.
Any that want printing get saved as a tif and printed from photoshop.

Soldato
I use Lightroom to import the files and look after my library, which I do a weekly backup onto a second hard drive. Then I process in Lightroom and maybe a little in Photoshop (mainly for watermarks and framing though)

Occasionally have a clear out of Lightroom as it's rather full of rubbish!

Soldato
Import everything from the card onto my 'working' hdd into a new folder normally created by date (backed up weekly from another hdd - I have hdd failure phobia). Start Lightroom, import everything in the Library, adding all tags etc as it goes. I rarely apply any blanket processing any longer.

Quick scan through, deleting the rubbish. Photoshop only gets used if Lightroom can't cope, which is rare.

Soldato
Import into lightroom (with backup, need new hard drives :p ), check white balance, open in photoshop for crop/edits. Save final files as tiffs in the same folder as original, and as resized jpegs on the desktop to remind me to upload em (then delete).

Man of Honour
  • Download from card(s) using Downloader Pro to "new images\<date>" path
  • Backup to external drive
  • Import into Lightroom catalogue
  • First pass through in Lightroom, delete the duffers, flag the keepers
  • Resync with the external drive to purge the duffers and backup the Lightroom database
  • Second pass in Lightroom, crops, minor edits etc. Major edits in Photoshop if warranted
  • Export to Tiff in "converted" path next to the original RAWs
  • Backup the TIFFs
  • Do a final sort of the RAWs and TIFFs from the "new images\<date>" folders to "new images\<subject>"
  • Once there's enough of a subject to fill a DVD then burn 2 copies
  • Drop off second DVD at the parents next time there's something decent being cooked ;)

sid

sid

Soldato
  • Download from card(s) using Downloader Pro to "new images\<date>" path
  • Backup to external drive
  • Import into Lightroom catalogue
  • First pass through in Lightroom, delete the duffers, flag the keepers
  • Resync with the external drive to purge the duffers and backup the Lightroom database
  • Second pass in Lightroom, crops, minor edits etc. Major edits in Photoshop if warranted
  • Export to Tiff in "converted" path next to the original RAWs
  • Backup the TIFFs
  • Do a final sort of the RAWs and TIFFs from the "new images\<date>" folders to "new images\<subject>"
  • Once there's enough of a subject to fill a DVD then burn 2 copies
  • Drop off second DVD at the parents next time there's something decent being cooked ;)

That is a bit tedious lol

I think I need to invest in an external HDD though sometime

sid

Back
Top Bottom