Uni Costs

Associate
You'll spend £54 a week on going out. Fact! You will be spending about £300 in freshers week with lash, sign ups, big shops and if you're unlucky, books.

Caporegime
£10 a week is not healthy at all.
£20 is bare minimum for some healthy variety
£30 makes life easy and allows you to buy some non-disocunt meat like a steak for Saturday night etc.

With 20-30 a week I managed to throw in the odd bottle of wine or a 6 pack of beer.

For going out, arrange a nice dinner with friends to give you all a nice and cheap but good supper. Bring along your own alcohol and do most of the alcohol drinking at home. Go to bars and clubs that have student discounts, don't pay to get drunk and feel hungover with bar prices.

Soldato
At uni, there was a canteen in the student union building. You could get a hot dinner there for about £2.50 or so. Always a good choice, like meat/spuds/veg, lasagne, or curry/chips.

Added up, I was then looking at no more than £18 a week in hot meals, another tenner or so would easily cover milk/cereals/shower gel, and you're done!

How to live off £25 a week at uni by timbob!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What, no lunches?

I don't get why people try to get by on as little as possible. Diet is very important to a healthy mind and body which is essential while studying.

Associate
get some food containers and lay claim to some freezer space so you can cook in bulk, that will save you a good bit of cash
Do this. I used to freeze excess chili con carne etc. which saves a lot of money.

Also, cook fresh using basic cheap resources such as potatoes, rice, pasta and vegetables. It's quite fun learning how to cook.

Finally, I would reccommend a job at some point in the year. Even if it is after the academic year because if you survive solely upon your loan (i.e. no parental support), then you will find yourself struggle during the summer break. :p

Oh, and I lived quite comfortably on a £30p/w food budget, with another £20-25 for things like social, travel, disposable.

Soldato
What, no lunches?

I don't get why people try to get by on as little as possible. Diet is very important to a healthy mind and body which is essential while studying.

When you're a student, you don't wake up until Neighbours. Thus, I usually had a big bowl of cereals for brunch. Dinner at around 7 or 8ish, and then onto the pub. Kebabs and burgers come under the drinking budget, rather than out the food budget! :p

Associate
early or late neighbours? It's truely a sign of a wasted day when your still tucked up during the later showing of neighbours.

Soldato
I've got this down:
(Monthly/weekly)
Rent (41 weeks) - 3690 £90
Food - 1230 £30
Phone - 205 £5
Travel - 410 £10
Washing - 205 £5
Entertainment - 1230 £30
Clothing - 410 £10
Driving lessons - 500 £20

I'm (hopefully) getting a transfer so i'll have an extra £30 a week or so to help out, oh and applied for a natwest account with overdraft.

Last edited:
Soldato
How much should I be looking at spending per week?

I have about £54 a week left over from loans and grants etc, should I be looking at a job and other sources of money, or will that do me? I really have no idea how much a weeks supply of food will cost, so the first week should be fun :)

I've obviously got to get a job if i want to have beer, but should that money be enough for food?

You can do what most people do and get an overdraft, or you can get a job. I tell you, £57 will go SO quickly in a week. One frugal night out will be around £20. My nights in town usually cost about £20-£30 and that's with me drinking asda value lager (88p for 4 cans) and asda cider (£1.18 for 2 litres), then there is the cab fare (or you can walk and save about 3 quid), entry to any clubs (£6), drinks in pubs/clubs (easily 10-15 quid).

As you can see, if you went out only one night a week, you'd have about £35 quid left - for absolutely everything. Remember, you have to factor costs like clothes and stuff into it. A £20 hoody will severely kill your entire week.

You'll need that overdraft, or if you can be arsed, a job :)

Associate
You will need to work, espeically if you're starting this year. Just £30 a week for going out with? A few random afternoon pints with coursemates will tot up to £20 easily. Taxi's or buses to clubs are costly, girls don't walk you see. Club entries are ~£5 to get into then £1.50 a drink. Uni is an expensive affair.

Back
Top Bottom