RAF Wyton Sunset Parade and a special visitor...

Associate
Despite the weather looknig threatening, I decided to be optimistic and headed off to RAF Wyton, near Huntingdon to hang around whilst their Sunset Parade took place, given a rather special visitor was due to close the proceedings. Thankfully, the weather cleared and patience and optimism were rewarded:

img_7330.jpg

img_7357.jpg

img_7383.jpg

Alas, these suffered from i) wrong expected display line ii) fading light and iii) needing a bit more than 200mm! Regardless, it was a pleasure to meet ex-Vulcan AEO Hugh Prior who kept us up to speed with ETAs etc.

Associate
They lack clarity and are fairly underexposed. Though sunset, the white balance is off as there is a noticeable orange tint. Perhaps a custom white balance card or expodisc (warm) filter would have helped to achieve a more subtle balance.

I always say this, shooting aviation (airborne) is a lot easier using the manual exposure mode. After reviewing the EXIF data I noticed that you were using Aperture Priority on f/5.6. This gave you 1/400 sec shutter speed. The Vulcan can be photographed fairly easily at a shutter as low as 1/160 second (good panning technique required). This would have allowed you to use a lower ISO which in turn would have given you slightly better image quality and a bit of movement in the photographs (the background clouds would have had a blur to them).

I have flown out of RAF Wyton many times and I must admit it is one of the most difficult airfields to work with as a photographer. Unless you are granted press coverage and "runway" access it is hard to get close. A great station with a great past. It would have been lovely to of seen the Vulcan present there.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the critique; I have to say you're right on all three counts. I was a tad disappointed by the clarity, to be honest, and the ISO was just sheer naff-ness on my part as I should have paid more attention to settings, but I was a bit pre-occupied by finally seeing the Vulcan for the first time in years!

I quite liked the orange sunset tint, but appreciate it's not to everyone's taste.

However, critique is always helpful to improve and has been taken on board; we will see how my shots from Duxford turned out. I'll post on here again with the results.....

Back
Top Bottom