is this normal? base not flat on Thermalright IFX-14...

Associate
I completely agree, its the reason I decided against the TR in the end, I knew it was one of the best coolers but I didn't feel I should have to lap it to achieve that - I got the TT instead which performs within a few degrees and I found to be pretty flat/even. What I was trying to express was that its quite widely considered that the TR products are amazing but in general those that opt for them are usually aware that they are going to have to lap it to see that difference. But I agree for a company that clearly aims at the enthusiast and with most people agreeing a HS base should be flat it should also be there concern to provide this, the reason they don't I'm not sure. Perhaps it is difficult for them to get the base flat after adding the heatpipes and fins, since I think its the soldering onto the base that often causes the curvature? I do know that certain retailers offer a lapping service for these particular heatsinks for exactly that reason, for a charge or course, and I would guess costs are the main reason this is something that TR do not do?

Soldato
This Thermalright uneven base thing is not as big a deal as some people are making out, in an ideal world it would be lovely if the heatsink came with mirror lapped bases but they don't.

Lapping is easy when you know how and you had a little practice. For the best possible fit I nearly always lap my heatsinks, just appears the TR ones need more lapping than usual! :D

Maybe they are being a little slack with QC and maybe it is a good thing for a few people to have a little moan because they are paying big bucks for what is meant to be a premium product, hmmm.

I never really thought about it too much because the solution is so easy! :o

Associate
My TRUE Black edition was the same too.

In one plane it was perfectly flat (i got a bit excited when i saw that), in the other plane it was as bad if not worse than the OP's.

Yesterday i worked at lapping it for well over 2 hours and its still not flat and i have now exhausted my supplies, so its going to take another trip to halfords to get it sorted.

Then again its a sacrifice im willing to make because the TRUE Black does look really realy really good :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
My TRUE Black edition was the same too.

In one plane it was perfectly flat (i got a bit excited when i saw that), in the other plane it was as bad if not worse than the OP's.

Yesterday i worked at lapping it for well over 2 hours and its still not flat and i have now exhausted my supplies, so its going to take another trip to halfords to get it sorted.

Then again its a sacrifice im willing to make because the TRUE Black does look really realy really good :D

bearing in mind that mentioning competitors' pricing is against the rules, how much of a premium is the black edition over the normal edition, on say... Deep Space Nine?

Associate
bearing in mind that mentioning competitors' pricing is against the rules, how much of a premium is the black edition over the normal edition, on say... Deep Space Nine?

mmmm, not sure what the cryptic DSN thing is but i will give it a shot.

I payed less than the advertised price for a TRUE, but i also had a free shipping voucher due to a previous cockup.

And did i mention that it looks really really nice....cant wait for the new build to start, just braiding cables etc at the minute and doing a few mods to the A05b

Soldato
http://www.frostytech.com

Are currently running a pole to see if the reader think they should boycott Thermalright heatsink reviews as they are fedup with the base issue as they have had the worst bases on all the heatsinks they have tested and they don't believe Thermalright BS hype that it's a design feature as on testing the bow is never consistent or in the same direction and one of the heatsinks they had was bowed inwards as opposed to bowed outwards.

Soldato
well I agree their QC could be a lot better..

but then if you want the best Air OC's then you pay the price... would be nice to see a competitor release something that can actually compete with the TRUE but simply until someone shows me another heatsink that can cope with a 4ghz quad @ primeload we have no choice but to buy and lap

Associate
Just an update really...i have now finished lapping the TRUE Black and thought i would post some eye candy for your enjoyment.

I only went up to 1500 grit as i wasnt going for a highly polished look, more a flat even surface...also i am not david bailey, so i apologise for the qquality of some of the images :)

Back
Top Bottom