30k+ Jobs you would do

Soldato
a store manager for tesco can earn up to £100 k a year with bonuses and shares.

Store managers and store area managers can earn a fair penny. We have a client who is a area manager of Boots and earns over 100K.

Even at Aldi and area manager and be on over 40K.

Personally I work in an IFA practice. Some of out chaps earn £5K a month easily. I'm happy as a Paraplanner which tends to top out at 40K although I'm no where near that.

My mother is a director and I'm taking the next 5 years or so to slowly buy her shares. My aim is to have a company that provides faultless support to our IFAs so all they need do is advise.

But what do you do on the Railway?

Don't know what he does but I'd love to be a train driver. My long term plan is build our practice up, sell it for a silly amount of money and buy a little model shop :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd pay to be allowed behind the controls of a Class 66 :D

Sat in one all last night chatting to the driver. I think it was a class 66.
I want drivers pay. Over time is paid in one lump sum 2 weeks before Christmas. He reckons it'll be about a 1000 hours this year at £27 :eek:.... Now that's a Christmas.

Associate
Im training to be an army officer. Once i commision my first year tickles the £30k mark and it goes up fairly nicely every year from there on in.

Soldato
30k is probably about top for what I do (HGV driver) without working nighshift or doing really long hours/spending ages away from home etc
used to work in an office where I'd have been able to make over 30k but just wasn't for me, if it was 60k or something though I'd just have to grin n bear it!

Caporegime
So what jobs would you do/do/are training to do that will earn you (eventually) well over 30k + ?

I wouldn't personally want to be in a position where there was a cap on my salary or a set figure by which it was going to increase each year - tis completely backwards and unrealistic for any roles where you're required to use your brain to make decisions that directly affect the profitably of a business. (even if the decisions are, relatively, small - such as say billing clients for stuff that may or may not be covered by a maintenace contract or persuading someone to take an enhancement - can all add up and add value to the role then be used in pay negotiations later - i.e. I generated X amount of revenue in just the first 3 months of last year....)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Side affects may include no life until you retire after having a heart attack at 30 caused by stress.

not really - quite a few have shorter hours than the investment bankers

guys at prop firms and hedge funds can have very nice lifestyles - I worked at a place where the top oil trader often didn't even bother coming in until lunch time as he made all his money trading the US open and the few hours afterwards.

Man of Honour
Bit of an open ended question, I'm a network architect, started out as a network engineer on about 28k. I'm currently on £75k or so (varies with hours worked, overtime etc as I'm technically a contractor for tax reasons), I've contracted in the past for 100k+ but right now I don't want the stress and the extra cash isn't something I need...

Associate
mmm 30k I get 17k ish a year but throw 2 kids into the equation
= take home £1200
tax credit £450 ish
ema £130 ish
uni grants, bursury £275 month ish

not short of 25k take home , no wonder half of the world is bringing their kids to the uk

and theres me aged 23, dont want kids for the time being... £29,000 a year, takehome £21,500 a year.

Any girls on here want some kids with me i wanna up my takehome pay lmao!

Soldato
Most of the people I know (including me) doing 3rd line Unix Support get well over 30K ... and most of the time we think we are underpaid for what we do :)

A decent DBA will normally be on 40K+ and in both areas if you are contracting instead of permanent staff then you are looking at more than that ...

Soldato
One thing I can add, is for Plumbing being the most super duper lucrative millionaire trade... its really not.

I know a number of plumbers and i would bet the highest any one of them earns is 35k tops.

not 150k like people think in the papers :)

Associate
I know nothing about the IT, but, :eek:.

Isn't IT massively saturated... just way too many people wanting to do it... so why are there mahoosive rates for contractors? Are they really that awesome? (Yes, I'm asking stupid questions :()

They get paid a lot because they are good at their jobs. The IT market is saturated to some extent but good computer programmers will always be in demand. The stuff these guys work on is the stuff that is integral to the banks trading (Options pricing, Data feed, Front end issues etc)

Back
Top Bottom