5-HTP - anyone take it?

Associate
I've been reading up on 5-HTP and thinking of getting some as an overall mood enhancer. Does anyone here take it?

Are the more expensive brands better or is it all the same stuff?

I've read that normal doses are around 100mg, would it be better to take 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night? (I think the 100mg of an evening is recommended more to those with sleeping problems?)

Thanks. :)

Soldato
I have no idea what this is - what does it do to you?

Rich

EDIT

A quick wiki shows it is similar to Seratonin in structure and is a anti-depressant and a sleep aid.

/EDIT

Caporegime
I used to take it for 'alternative' reasons in my youth.

I'm a naturally happy person any way, so I didn't notice it doing anything to enhance my mood, but a week of 50 in the morning, 50 at night, did end up giving me REALLY vivid dreams.

Associate
I used to take a similar Human Growth Hormone enhancer called GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) it was supposed to help you sleep and calm you down and when i was body building it helped with muscle growth, it really did make a differance, I used to suffer from insomnia due to stress but GABA really helped with my mood and sleep, I would still use it if they had not banned it.

If i was you i would just try it but keep an eye on how you are feeling because it may not be to your liking, GABA had a tendancy after about a minute of taking it of raising your heartrate and making you feel hot, This only lasted a few seconds but it scared some people.

Caporegime
I used to take a similar Human Growth Hormone enhancer called GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) it was supposed to help you sleep and calm you down and when i was body building it helped with muscle growth, it really did make a differance, I used to suffer from insomnia due to stress but GABA really helped with my mood and sleep, I would still use it if they had not banned it.

If i was you i would just try it but keep an eye on how you are feeling because it may not be to your liking, GABA had a tendancy after about a minute of taking it of raising your heartrate and making you feel hot, This only lasted a few seconds but it scared some people.

Isn't that a precursor or at least closely related to GHB, which is why it got banned?

Associate
Isn't that a precursor or at least closely related to GHB, which is why it got banned?

It would seem that it is close to GHB which is one of the reasons it was banned although i really did find it a benefit and you can also purchase it within the UK for some reason but im not sure if it is actually shipped within the UK being as it is banned and all which is the reason why i don't use it anymore.

The only problem with any type of mood enhancing drug/supplement is that they can become addictive for obvious reason so it is always advised to try other ways to stimulate seratonin release, maybe start up a sport or running as this is proven to do this?

Associate
It basically increases Serotonin levels in your body, regulating happiness and sleep. Taken often (ie every day), it can cause serotonogenic (?) syndrome, when your body produces too much serotonin, but taken sensibly, it can help give you a good outlook and a decent nights sleep.

Yes we know, this thread is already on dodgy ground. No drugs talk.

Gilly.

Soldato
When taken in an ordinary day to day manner i didn't notice any effects besides very vivid and crazy dreams. When used for the alternative reason krooton mentioned it can be a godsend at times.

Associate
OP
Try it if you like, just be prepared to feel tired the first few times you take it, also dont take it first thing in the morning, as Its used as a sleep aid as well, so you'd be pretty nackered going into work etc.

Might start off with 50mg of an evening then...

How did you find St Johns Wort?

I suppose different things work for different people and it's a case of finding the right one.

I don't feel depressed or unhappy but at the same time I don't feel all that happy either. Get lots of exercise and eat healthily so was just looking into things I can try as a pick me up sorta thing. :)

Soldato
i tried it for a couple of weeks to help with sleep, but didn't notice any difference myself. i constantly have kuh-ray-zee dreams anyways so there was no change there!

B@Th*nG

Associate
I'm a moody person and not always the happiest so tried 5-htp and it did nothing for me. Also tried Valerian root as I have had trouble sleeping, which worked but gave me a really fuzzy head in the morning :/

Back
Top Bottom