Suggestions for a 2.1 System

Soldato
Monitor audio speakers + arcam amp for £200 = bargain.

But that is my old system and Im keeping it for use as a bedroom system in a few years. Amp a touch over £100 and speakers less than £100, shows it can be done. Plus the relevant cables will cost you about £30.

Soldato
OP
I just went to RS today and the guy said I would need a receiver for my TV audio feedback, as it has an optical in, and amplifiers such as the CA A1/5 dont have them. The TV is a Samsung LE40 variant.

Permabanned
Usual bad advice from RS idiots. You only need a stereo integrated amp, use the left & right RCA outputs from your TV.

Soldato
OP
Monitor audio speakers + arcam amp for £200 = bargain.

But that is my old system and Im keeping it for use as a bedroom system in a few years. Amp a touch over £100 and speakers less than £100, shows it can be done. Plus the relevant cables will cost you about £30.

Whats the model numbers or those? Ive noticed Arcam are v expensive.

Soldato
I'd just go 2nd hand on somewhere like the bay TBH.

Personally i'd be looking for older arcam amps like alpha 6's or 7's or possibly eve the Cambridge amps mentioned above.

Speakers wise all those Asprilla mentioned would be more than fine.

Also, i'd consider Wharfedales (probably Pacific and Pacific Evo models) as the one's i've used all seemed to provide decent performance levels.

Indeed, there were some Evo's on the MM recently for a touch over £70 which seemed a decent price to me.

gt

Soldato
They have tended to do budget speakers and cheap electrics that i would most definately not recommend.

However the Pacific's were their most recent attempt (might even be there first TBH) to offer higher quality build and sound.

In this respect i personally thought they succeeded and after auditioning various kef, linn, cyrus, b&w, mission, mordaunt short and jm speakers i came to the conclusion that the Wharfedales offered the best mix of detail and range while doing it for a good price.

I use the largest speakers in the original Pacific series. They offer great imaging and detail without sacrificing dynamic weight and speed.

The original Pacific enclosures look a little dated but that is pretty much what the next step (the 'Evo' range) rectified with it's curved cabinets and better applied veneers.

For the money they turned out to be an excellent buy and compared to similarly priced Kef and Mission (pretty much the market leaders at the time) models they were much better IMO.

That said, i'd try and audition some so you get an idea of what's out there. You will know the sound you like. I know it took me a while to settle on all the kit i have. I think it's been at least 6 or 7 generational changes!

gt

Back
Top Bottom