RC cars

Associate
Im looking to buy an r/c car but I have no idea where to start. I dont really want an electric one. Whats the difference between nitro and petrol cars? Can anyone reccommed an entry level rc car?

btw Im totally clueless about this subject

cheers

Permabanned
Nitro uses special fuel, can't remember the mixture what's inside the stuff. Petrol is like a chainsaw engine, in a RC car. Those are usually larger scale. 1:4-:1:6. Looking at around £300-£600 for the RC car, plus another few hundred for radio.

I prefer petrol, had nitro in the past.

Soldato
I've got two nitro RCs and one electric. Just to answer the above, nitro fuel is usually between 20-30% nitromethane, most of the rest is methanol, with a small percentage of castor/synthetic oil.

Nitro tends to be between 1:12 and 1:8 scale, petrol tends to be bigger.

Are you looking for a buggy/truck/truggy?

Associate
OP
Probably off road because ill probably just use it down the park etc...

As to wheather I want a truck or a buggy I dont really mind? What are the main differences apart from the shape ?

Associate
Look at traxxas, they make a wide range of nitro and electric cars so they'll have what you want.. I had a T-Maxx as a second car and it was great fun.
Don't buy a cheap brand one from your local model shop as it will probably be more hassle than good.

Soldato
The feel of the vehicle is very different. Buggies often have a centre differential whereas many trucks replace this with a 2-speed box and/or a slipper clutch. This is not a universal rule, however. Truggies can take either form, however they usually go for the centre diff approach.

A truck has a higher CoG and has much more ground clearance and can usually take bigger jumps without causing damage. A buggy runs much more like its on rails and really sticks in turns thanks to the centre diff, where the back end of a truck would be more likely to let go. Wheelies are obviously impossible in a buggy :D

How about this? Very reliable .21 block with the 2-speed box. Completely RTR, so comes with radio/servos/engine etc. Very long stroke shocks so they are great for landing large jumps. The Savage series have been around for ages and are extremely popular.

Also that kit has the hardened diff gears kit - very useful when you consider how difficult it is to get at the diffs on a Savage (one of the main disadvantages of the twin vertical plate chassis design).

Edit: Quick pic of my TNX :cool:
pict6536po3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Check out http://www.hpi-europe.com and have a look on the forums as well I would.

You'd be looking toward a nitro car if that's what you want. They make a good mix of on and off roaders for beginners and more experienced people a like.

As said, the savage series is extremely popular, but HPI also make smaller cars that can be suited to a first time buyer as well.

Permabanned
Probably off road because ill probably just use it down the park etc...

As to wheather I want a truck or a buggy I dont really mind? What are the main differences apart from the shape ?

Trucks have higher ground clearence so better for really rough terrain. However buggies handle better.

For high end look at FG.

Associate
my mate has a traxxas revo its sooooomuch fun he brought it second-hand think he payed £250 for it cant remember hes had it a couple of years now

we used to race real cars with his
open stretch of wast land next to a 40mph road
the cars were doing 40ish at the start line
the revo from a standing start overtook them every time
and slowed to do a victory doughnut before the car passed
its rapid

Back
Top Bottom