Kef eggs

Soldato
Looking at purchasing some of these this week but could do with some input from you wise people.

I plan on keeping my existing sub, there are a few different models in the kef range, i.m sure there are owners here of the different models so could i get some comments on your ownership time with the eggs you have?

Thanks.

Permabanned
I suppose they'll do if you can't afford anything better, though being lifestyle you know compromises have been made. If you've got any interest in sound quality move to the Q range

Soldato
OP
I suppose they'll do if you can't afford anything better, though being lifestyle you know compromises have been made. If you've got any interest in sound quality move to the Q range

it's a case of down sizing to fit with the decor/her indoors. The Missions i have for fronts will be in the garage with the rest of my old stuff im afraid. Looked at the Kef in wall/ceiling stuff but seems like to much hassle.

Permabanned
You allow your wife to stay indoors? You mean she doesn't live in the shed? Be alpha!

you could buy M&K Plasma range, in white :D

Soldato
OP
I use a pair of 3001s as rear speakers. They do a fine job for rear effects. Can't say I'd choose to use them for music though.

they won't be used for music [well maybe a little when the kids have MTV on] there main use will be Home cinema, i have a BK sub that should be ok with the planned set up.

I have been offered a set of Chrome Kef's i think they are 3001.5 or something.

Permabanned
eggslrg-1.jpg

:D

Soldato
I have a set of the 3001 eggs just for movie purposes, I didnt buy the KEF sub as I sourced a better one for around the same cash. There pretty good for movies, I have tried it with music and although they take a fair stab at it, I didnt feel it was anywhere near good enough.

11280x768.jpg

Soldato
I have a set of the 3001 eggs just for movie purposes, I didnt buy the KEF sub as I sourced a better one for around the same cash. There pretty good for movies, I have tried it with music and although they take a fair stab at it, I didnt feel it was anywhere near good enough.

Why not just use the bookshelf speakers for the fronts and use the eggs for surround work? :confused:

Soldato

11280x768.jpg

Is that a Yamaha 861 i spy? If so, SNAP! Just picked one up BNIB for £230 and it absolutely rocks!

Soldato
Because the GS10's are hooked up to a dedicated 2 channel Stereo amp, a Roksan Kandy mkIII, I keep my music systems and my AV systems seperate, best of both worlds that way.

so what's stopping you routing the front channels of the AV signal through the roksan? not only would you get better sound for movies, you keep the stereo setup too.

Soldato
You'd probably have level matching issues doing that. You'd likely adjust the volume on the mkIII when listening to music sometimes and this will then throw the relative level out for the rest of the HT setup. It also might not match so well response wise, the centre and L R channels should be identical/very similar.

Soldato
You'd probably have level matching issues doing that. You'd likely adjust the volume on the mkIII when listening to music sometimes and this will then throw the relative level out for the rest of the HT setup. It also might not match so well response wise, the centre and L R channels should be identical/very similar.

that's my point.....replace the cheap centre for a matching one.

each to their own.

Soldato
so what's stopping you routing the front channels of the AV signal through the roksan? not only would you get better sound for movies, you keep the stereo setup too.

i'm thinking of doing the same instead of spending a grand on a higher end AV amplifier for decent music and surround.

my yamaha rv630 needs replacing without doubt so i either go a cheaper AV which can do the HD decoding or at least multichannel lpcm through HDMI, don't need a video scaler as i'll be getting a 9G Kuro ......and a nice musical amp like the Roksan or similar.

OR go for an all in one super amp such as the LX70/RV3800/905 etc

sorry to derail OP but i just saw this and wondered if anybody had some input in this area, good music ability is important for me ...probably moreso than movies.

Soldato
i'm thinking of doing the same instead of spending a grand on a higher end AV amplifier for decent music and surround.

my yamaha rv630 needs replacing without doubt so i either go a cheaper AV which can do the HD decoding or at least multichannel lpcm through HDMI, don't need a video scaler as i'll be getting a 9G Kuro ......and a nice musical amp like the Roksan or similar.

OR go for an all in one super amp such as the LX70/RV3800/905 etc

sorry to derail OP but i just saw this and wondered if anybody had some input in this area, good music ability is important for me ...probably moreso than movies.

even a high end AV amp like you've listed will not match something like the Roksan for stereo. For £1000, i'd go for the roksan Mk3L and an Onkyo 805.

Soldato
yeh that's what i'm thinking also, i know you can set delays but are there any other issues with this kind of setup?

the setup of delays and even allowance for room accoustics are handled automatically on most up to date amps now. The 805 has an excellent auto setup.

There may be a slight variance on the front two channels as you have to manually set the stereo amp each time for movies. Never going to be far out though.

Soldato
I used to have it setup with the av amp outputting to the roksan for the front 2 channels. But the hassle of switching both amps on and matching sound levels just became a chore. And because the speakers didn't match all round the soundstage wasn't seemless.

I know the av setup I have could be improved by incorperating my hi-fi gear, but it's a compromise I'm happy to live with. Both systems sound good to me and there both nice and easy to use indipendantly.

Back
Top Bottom