Bike For work?

Caporegime
OP
5 Speed quick shift on this beauty!

chopper-4x3.jpg

The memories:p

Associate
Really! I thought everyone believed a £600 Chinese bike would outperform the £2000 Japanese bikes :D

My point was that if they're as bad as everyone makes out and total death traps then there is no way they would have achieved the market share they've got. Obviously a decent brand Japanese bike is going to be much nicer to ride, but if you only want the bike for a few months to get used to riding/can't afford more then a few hundred then they're a reasonable alternative.

the market share they've got is first time buyers who dont know anything about bikes and see cheap

Associate
It's a Yam XT125X

It's fifty times as awesome though, buy buy buy :D

edit: Do they still make a DT125X? Or has the XT replaced it?
yes see the yam sticker but couldnt see what model thanks !!

easy you will be able to sell that second hand for more than the other cost's new
you will also be able to take it off road with out the worry of it dieing on ya
nice bike go for it lots of smiles per miles :D

Caporegime
OP
It's a Yam XT125X

It's fifty times as awesome though, buy buy buy :D

edit: Do they still make a DT125X? Or has the XT replaced it?

I must admit I'm a noob at bikes and you defo see the difference in quality.

Not sure on your last question.

How much would an engine be to buy for one of these?

There is a unused 07 one on ebay but minus the engine!

Soldato
Up to about 02/3 the DT had a powervalve and that made it a lot of fun when derestricted (very very simple) but it'd be beyond the legal power limits of a rider with only a CBT, but if you want something with a little more oomph then CBT + DT and a little tweak will give you some real fun off road :)

Hoysung are about the only non Jap brand i've had personal experience with and even the QC on them was poor in a lot of ways, given the choice i'd take the DT every time. As for the Mito/RS options they require more care and attention in the long run especially if tweaked by your average 17 y/o.

Soldato
the market share they've got is first time buyers who dont know anything about bikes and see cheap

:) Tell that to Honda who've brought a whole factory of them!

The bike i've got can be brought new for less then a quarter of what the nearest honda model costs + according to a recent discussion about top speeds of 125cc bikes mine seems to be faster (and that's with a calibrated speedo not the overestimate from the one that comes on the bike) + it's about 1.5years old without ever having any mechanical issues what so ever. Downside is it doesn't look as nice as a honda and isn't as smooth but for a new rider it performs just as well.

They're cheap but you really do get good value for that money. Why pay big bucks if you just want something short term?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
:) Tell that to Honda who've brought a whole factory of them!

The bike i've got can be brought new for less then a quarter of what the nearest honda model costs + according to a recent discussion about top speeds of 125cc bikes mine seems to be faster (and that's with a calibrated speedo not the overestimate from the one that comes on the bike) + it's about 1.5years old without ever having any mechanical issues what so ever. Downside is it doesn't look as nice as a honda and isn't as smooth but for a new rider it performs just as well.

They're cheap but you really do get good value for that money. Why pay big bucks if you just want something short term?

What bike is it?

any pics?

How much was it?

Man of Honour
Up to about 02/3 the DT had a powervalve and that made it a lot of fun when derestricted (very very simple) but it'd be beyond the legal power limits of a rider with only a CBT, but if you want something with a little more oomph then CBT + DT and a little tweak will give you some real fun off road :)

Hoysung are about the only non Jap brand i've had personal experience with and even the QC on them was poor in a lot of ways, given the choice i'd take the DT every time. As for the Mito/RS options they require more care and attention in the long run especially if tweaked by your average 17 y/o.

if I remember though on the DT125R the servo / computer for the ypvs was removed and the valve clamped shut.

you could derestrict just by opening the valve, but lost all your bottom end power.. needed the ypvs kit to give you best of both worlds...

Back
Top Bottom