Sony A900 Review

Associate
Ignoring the issues with image quality and noise, that has got to be the ugliest looking camera i have ever seen.
I think they needed to add more buttons and switches to it as well....

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Excellent stuff. Another camera to put the willies up Canon. Whilst Sony might have made a hash of using the sensor, I can't see Nikon doing that. Hopefully Canon will really pull the stops out at a stupidly low price to avoid getting completely blitzed by the new cameras that are arriving.

Soldato
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA900/AA900A.HTM

major problem with noise, so much so that it seems entirely pointless.

After reading your comment I clicked the link thinking "oh my god, have Sony REALLY made a complete mess of their flagship camera?!?"

Sure enough reading the review and forming my own balanced opinion I was able to remove such a thought from my mind.

Caporegime
OP
But the camera is basically unusable. Yes, it has some very nice features and many aspects holds up well against the competition.

However, IQ is the underlying factor of any camera. Great, so we have 24Mp. But 24Mp that just aren't usable. unless you print at 8x6, but then why shoot at 24Mp if you have to print at sizes not affected by resolution.

Should have kept to a 12Mp sensor, then we could have some serious competition going.

I was hoping this would challenge the Nikon D700 and push it into the affordable price range for me. But its a bit of a joke camera.

I hope that Nikon's expertise can get the best out this sensor as most probably it wil be in the D3x. Although there are rumours that the D3x may be more like a 18-21Mp sensor with the noise profile of the D3 sensor.

Soldato
. But 24Mp that just aren't usable. unless you print at 8x6, but then why shoot at 24Mp if you have to print at sizes not affected by resolution.
when you print (rather than pixel peep) the noise disappears, 1 guy on DPreview printed their samples upto A3 fine - & that's with a preproduction camera without finalised firmware (Sony have a new firmware for the A700 that puts it on a par with the D300 at high ISO so they are learning & they say that they expect to improve things on the A900 too).

At the very least it will keep Canon & Nikon honest in their pricing.
If it doesn't suit your needs that's fine, no one is forcing you to buy it.
I'm sure that it will fit some people's requirements though.

Soldato
But the camera is basically unusable.

A camera with 20mp+ is clearly aimed at the advertising, landscape or studio photographer. It’s not a camera for taking to the zoo or on your holiday to Spain.

Like Buff said – It'll push Nikon and Canon FF prices down.

Associate
I quite like the look of it.

I would be concerned with regards to the weather sealing. The camera is made using 5 elements 'stuck' together. This, to me, would raise concerns with regards to its strength and ability to stay sealed over the many years it would be used in the hands of an 'outdoor' photographer.

Also, the review isn't exactly fair, comparing it to a top pro body is pointless. As Sony state this camera is not aimed at the top pro but the extreme amateur. They should have compared it to the D700 and the upcoming 5D replacement (once they get their hands on it). I know it was to compare high resolution sensor's with each other but the Canon 1Ds III is in a completely different league all together.

Unfair review in my opinion.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
A camera with 20mp+ is clearly aimed at the advertising, landscape or studio photographer. It’s not a camera for taking to the zoo or on your holiday to Spain.

Like Buff said – It'll push Nikon and Canon FF prices down.

But the problem is you can only print at smaller sizes with this camera due to the noise. Maybe its early days and we need more reviews but form all the information I have found that it is a paradoxical camera: massive resolution for printing really large, but really bad noise forcing you to print really small, or run noise removal reducing resolution.

Noise was visible even at ISO 200, even on gray mid-tones and blue sky. That to me makes it unusable.

Still, I hope you are right and will force Nikon/Canon to lower prices. We need more price wars. But Sony looks like it is going down the consumer MP race.
I desperately want a D700.

Caporegime
OP
I quite like the look of it.

I would be concerned with regards to the weather sealing. The camera is made using 5 elements 'stuck' together. This, to me, would raise concerns with regards to its strength and ability to stay sealed over the many years it would be used in the hands of an 'outdoor' photographer.

Also, the review isn't exactly fair, comparing it to a top pro body is pointless. As Sony state this camera is not aimed at the top pro but the extreme amateur. They should have compared it to the D700 and the upcoming 5D replacement (once they get their hands on it). I know it was to compare high resolution sensor's with each other but the Canon 1Ds III is in a completely different league all together.

Unfair review in my opinion.

What would be interesting would be to "pixel bin" the A900s image down to a 12Mp file and compare with the D700. The D700 would still win hands down

Back
Top Bottom