RAF low level in Wales

Associate
I finally got back to Wales!

I've been trying to get back to LFA7 for months now but between work and the god aweful weather it's been 3 months since I was left there.

The day was very slow with very little about but got my first Dominie and also got two good passes by one of the lesser spotted QinetiQ Alpha Jet.

RAF-Dominie-T1-XS730-low-flying-photo.jpg

QinetiQ-Alpha-Jet-ZJ648-low-flying-photo-1.jpg

QinetiQ-Alpha-Jet-ZJ648-low-flying-photo-2.jpg

QinetiQ-Alpha-Jet-ZJ648-low-flying-photo-3.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Lovely set ^^Gord^^.

Haven't seen the Alpha Jet A before.

Thanks!

The Alpha Jet usually puts in a low level appearence once a month. I've only managed to catch it three times in two years.

Good spot on it being an A version :)

Didnt even know we had any alpha jets!

Technically we (being the RAF) don't. The jet is run by QinetiQ who use to be part of the MoD but are now a private firm. They run various partnerships with the MoD and have RAF and RN pilots working with them as well as civvys. There were purchased when QinetiQ were still part of the MoD to replace the Hawks they had as the Hawks were needed for spares at RAF Valley. They purchased a number from the German Air Force (hence the werid camo paint job).

Cracking aircraft and a real nightmare to spot a low level!

Associate
!*@!*@$"£!!!!!!!!!!!!Gord, I was on the hill with you :eek:, small world, which one were you.

I was the guy who spotted the Alpha coming in high from the North

Martin( I was using the Sigma 120-300 2.8)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey Martin, I saw you post up on another forum and thought the same :D

I was the guy with the tan trousers, black top with a brown t shirt over the top, light blue jacket and black wooly hat. I spent a bit of time other side of the fence up on my 'pirch'.

Associate
AH, I know who you are now, I apologized to you, for the lack of aircraft as you were leaving. good to meet you :), come back again soon.

I'm usually up in the loop 2 or 3 times a week :)

Associate
Thanks!

The Alpha Jet usually puts in a low level appearence once a month. I've only managed to catch it three times in two years.

Good spot on it being an A version :)

Thanks!

Would love to see it. Perhaps when I fly back to England I will make an appearance at some of the low level sites.

Associate
OP
AH, I know who you are now, I apologized to you, for the lack of aircraft as you were leaving. good to meet you :), come back again soon.

I'm usually up in the loop 2 or 3 times a week :)

I hope to get a few more trips in before the end of the year but it's up to the weather!

Thanks!

Would love to see it. Perhaps when I fly back to England I will make an appearance at some of the low level sites.

If you can spare a day then it's well worth a trip.

Associate
OP
What kinda Lense do you lot use to capture Planes? Low Level :p

These with shot with a 100-400 L IS, but that isn't my first choice lens. I would normally have used a 300 f/4 L IS but i've sold that since I've gone to the 1D (1.3x crop). I've just got a 400 f/4.5 L to replace it. Hoping to get a chance to give it a go this month but the schedule and the weather will decide.

Soldato
Great shots! I'm definitely thinking of heading over sometime soon to somewhere round the scottish borders. Maybe if there are some military exercises on it would be a lot busier than normal!

Back
Top Bottom