Good lake district camping sites

Associate
I was just wondering whether anyone could recommend a good camping site in cumbria (hold back on the gay jokes). I've found a few on google but if anyone here can give a good word for one they've been to it'd be useful. I always get paranoid of those reviews, I reckon they write them themselves. I once went to one in Suffolk with a good review and it was rubbish.

Thanks for your time!

Soldato
i never use a camp site, i went into a isolated place and just set up a tent.. i dont see the point of camping near a campsite with a shop down the road or a tap and toilet/shower... imo theres no difference to setting up a tent in your garden

Associate
Been to Sykeside in Brotherswater many times, head over the stunning Kirkstone pass on the road to Ullswater and when you see the Brotherswater Inn you have reached the site. Stunning scenery, waking up to the 4 big hills surrounding the site in the morning is just awesome. Keep your eye open for the badgers, the adore pringles, beans, loaves of bread, anything they can get their paws on they will nick off you!!

http://www.sykeside.co.uk/

Rob H

Soldato
I can recommend Park Cliffe, Bowness which my Aunty stayed at not so long ago. Pitches are well spaced out and not in a row. Also, the facilities were very clean :)

See the website for more details - http://www.parkcliffe.co.uk/

That's not far from me (when I'm up there), it's next to Great Tower scout camp. Manages to be away from it all, without being far from Bowness.

Associate
i never use a camp site, i went into a isolated place and just set up a tent.. i dont see the point of camping near a campsite with a shop down the road or a tap and toilet/shower... imo theres no difference to setting up a tent in your garden

Too right.

There are some brilliant places up in the hills if you're willing to get up there. My personal suggestions would be Sprinkling Tarn up near Scafell Pike or Angle Tarn near(ish) High Street. They aren't that difficult to get up to either.

Soldato
When I did my DofE hike we spoke to the National Trust(I think - or it was a local land-owner) and saw if we could camp wild. It was amazing camping high up in a mountain, just to the edge of a corrie with a natural spring lake.

Soldato
[noodle];12499703 said:
Too right.

There are some brilliant places up in the hills if you're willing to get up there. My personal suggestions would be Sprinkling Tarn up near Scafell Pike or Angle Tarn near(ish) High Street. They aren't that difficult to get up to either.

yeah Sprinkling tarn is a nice spot for camping, not done it myself but i've seen one or 2 tents there

Back
Top Bottom