SE K850i - 3rd Handset Down

Soldato
Well as topic, received my 3rd replacement handset from Orange on Thursday. After it's switched itself off around 9 times today it's going back again. 4th Handset coming this week, apparently if it happens 1 more time then I get an alternative handset (Any recommendations? - I presume it'll need to be comparable spec/cost as the K850i. On the £30 pm tarriff)

Anyways back to the point, is the quality control so poor on this model? I had a Walkman model before this and it worked a peach. My girlfriend has a K750i and it works fine. But everyone I know with an 850i has had problems with it.

Caporegime
I went into a T-Mobile shop to look at some handsets in the run up to my upgrade. I asked one of the guys there about the K850i. He said it's a nice handset, but after 6 months it'll just be in repairs over and over.

Associate
I've got a K850i. It's going to meet a wall very very shortly. TWENTY EIGHT times it's turned itself off today. It's only been on 3 hours.

Make that TWENTY NINE.

Words can't express how hacked off I am at the moment.

Soldato
I claimed my orange insurance twice....both my fault really...and they replaced it with a c902 which seems a lot more stable. Just moan at them say it whitescreens etc(two ex orange employees told me to say that).

That was a k850i on dolphin 35 + insurance. Got the replacement last month a few weeks before my insurance ran out. :d

Associate
My 11month old Vodafone SE K850i is playing around tonight. Not received incoming calls, sending text messages, only after numerous retrys. Got it working but after several reboots. My previous SE K750i was an unreliable phone at times too so what ever I go to next (likely Nokia or Blackberry) it won't be an SE phone.

For me the next two handsets I'm considering are the Blackberry Bold (strong messaging functionality big plus here) or the Nokia N96 (although I can imagine this is going to be difficult to haggle Vodafone down on). Other phones I've looked at include the N81 or the 6220 Classic (nice looking, light handset)

I am currently on a £30 a month VF contract.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Never had a problem with my K850i (or the K800, or K750 before that) and I've had it since release. What do you do to your phones? :p

Soldato
My brother had the same problem with his K850, eventually they let him change and he swapped it for a samsung, no idea what model it was or what else they offered him but there wasnt an N95 on offer.

Xez

Xez

Associate
I use to have problem with my k850 just randomly vibrating and turning off. Doesnt do it anymore and its really been knocked about! Suprised it hasnt broke yet its pretty ruined :p have you tried updating the firmware?

Soldato
Just courious, but those with K850i which switch off, which firmware are you using and how did you install it? I have 037 and it was first installed via the phones update service. This caused it to reboot many many times a day. I phoned to complain, 3 told me to remove the battery and clean the contacts, so I did. It made no difference. So I thought I would try donwloading the firmware again, only this over SE updates on PC. Now it never reboots at all and works perfectly. 9 months old btw.

Soldato
Vodafone: R1FA035 here.

I reckon (though this is just a hunch) that most of my resetting woes where due to my regularly accessed applications (Opera Mini, Google Mail) were on my memory card and not the phone memory.

Mine would reboot with no applications running, simply the phone was on. SE update cured it.

Soldato
I've had a few minor problems with my 11 month old K850i; i'd say I need to 'reboot' it a couple of times a week. As phones get more sophisticated they are going to become more prone to crashing (in my opinion). Even with these minor problems it's easily the best phone I've had.

Soldato
I just generally wouldn't buy a Sony Ericsson phone that has that irritating joystick thing to control the menus. All the SE's I have had have had to be replaced because of it, and the same has happened to my friends ones too. Nokia just cannot be beaten I think in terms of reliability and build quality.

Soldato
OP
I just generally wouldn't buy a Sony Ericsson phone that has that irritating joystick thing to control the menus. All the SE's I have had have had to be replaced because of it, and the same has happened to my friends ones too. Nokia just cannot be beaten I think in terms of reliability and build quality.

no joystick on the k850i

Associate
Well as topic, received my 3rd replacement handset from Orange on Thursday. After it's switched itself off around 9 times today it's going back again. 4th Handset coming this week, apparently if it happens 1 more time then I get an alternative handset (Any recommendations? - I presume it'll need to be comparable spec/cost as the K850i. On the £30 pm tarriff)

Anyways back to the point, is the quality control so poor on this model? I had a Walkman model before this and it worked a peach. My girlfriend has a K750i and it works fine. But everyone I know with an 850i has had problems with it.

I had 2 k850i's in a row. The first one got smashed in my pocket at work while I was doing some pretty strenuous stuff (It got crushed and the screen broke - but before this happened I'd already noticed many issues) but for some reason (don't ask me why), i got another one.

As other people have said, this phone is not Sony Ericsonns best. Very regular random reboots (often halfway through a call), the touchscreen would drive you insane, it does not work well with bluetooth (every other phone i've ever had would switch to the phone while on a call if you told it to, but the K850i would just lose the plot and the sound could not be retrieved on the phone or the bluetooth headset).

In the end I'd had enough. Bought an N95 8gb and it is the best phone i have ever owned. Does what it says on the tin, and does it well.

I had a K800i a while back, and that was a great phone. Never did a thing wrong (my son has one now and it's the same - it just works), but the K850i is kind of "pants".

You'd think that when they released a newer model they'd make sure it was better than the old one wouldn't you ??? :confused:

Soldato
Odd problems. Tried the latest firmware (mind you, the phones should come with them).

SE aren't great when it comes to firmware updates. I sent in my K750i (which I replaced last Saturday with a brilliant W890i Mocha Brown) because of a broken joystick. They had updated the firmware to the latest version when I got it back. Simply put, the new firmware made it impossible to make a phone call without having to restart the phone first, and it would crash a lot.

If you have firmware that works, really, really stick to it, or read around before updating TBH.

Back
Top Bottom