The all things Anime related thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Had a nice mixture of things yesterday ...

Black Lagoon Second Barrage vol #2 - nice bit of fast paced action
Ocean Waves - nice gentle slice of life Ghibli, one o te few we haven't had on R2 over here but fortunately the R2(J) release has English subs.
My Santa - what's a Christmas story without lots of fanservice ..... not as good as Ken A's other work but it's a bit of fun.

Soldato
Oh god, it just keeps getting better. I'm only up to the 10th episode and it's already the most depressing thing I've watched.

It's amazing.

Saikano has to be one of the most utterly depressing and harsh anime I have ever watched, and I've watched Now and Then, Here and There, so that's saying something.

I actually had to stop watching it at one point and come back later as it was too upsetting and brutal.

Soldato
Saikano is one of those anime which is hard to watch but you do anyway because you know it's worth it. I think when I watched it I did it in two lumps and made sure that I had something upbeat to watch directly afterwards, (I suspect Love Hina).

Very good though.

Just finished watching Ef: A Tale of Memories .... nice, and not overly happy, series with some of the best, most beautiful, sky animation that I've seen. The animation in it was quite strange with different effects being used at differnt points, (e.g. cutting to black and white line drawing).

Soldato
Saikano has to be one of the most utterly depressing and harsh anime I have ever watched, and I've watched Now and Then, Here and There, so that's saying something.

I actually had to stop watching it at one point and come back later as it was too upsetting and brutal.

Yeah, it's why I like it so much. >.>

Now and Then, Here and There didn't do much for me. It was quite good though.

Commissario
I think "my Santa" is finally getting a UK release this year ;)

I think October is going to be an expensive month for me :(
I just placed another order with Rightstuf for
1 $36.98 * pd12847 Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite DVD Box
The above item has a daily deal discount of $17.00 applied.
1 $53.99 dmcrbx2 Macross, Super Dimension Fortress Com
Date Available: Oct 21 2008
1 $35.99 dcrmo Southern Cross/Genesis Climber Mospea
Date Available: Oct 21 2008

* indicates an item that is excluded from further discounts.

Shipping Description: International
Shipping Amount: $14.00

Vendor: Right Stuf International Inc.
Payment Method: MasterCard
Total Amount: $140.96

Thank you for being a Got Anime? Purchasing Club Member! On this
order, you saved $12.70.

That's in addition to FMP TSR and OMG 2nd season order I placed a few weeks ago.

Soldato
Just finished watching Ef: A Tale of Memories .... nice, and not overly happy, series with some of the best, most beautiful, sky animation that I've seen. The animation in it was quite strange with different effects being used at differnt points, (e.g. cutting to black and white line drawing).

Theres a sequal/followon coming out in the fall 2008 season (TV I assume). Linky - Ef: a Tale of Melodies.

Soldato
I think "my Santa" is finally getting a UK release this year ;)

I think October is going to be an expensive month for me :(
I just placed another order with Rightstuf for

That's in addition to FMP TSR and OMG 2nd season order I placed a few weeks ago.

FMP:TSR, AMG 2 and Maid Team La Verite .... all very good :)

Theres a sequal/followon coming out in the fall 2008 season (TV I assume). Linky - Ef: a Tale of Melodies.

Yep, it's high on my "to watch" list along with the new series of Clannad.

Muttermutter rantrant .... I would like to see Code Geass series one but despite having the LE pre-ordered I haven't got it yet due to the issues with the disks. Firstly UP returned their shipment to whomever they get it from due to the disk issues and then it looks like they got a new shipment at the weekend, tested it, and found it faulty again ... at least my order went back from briefly being in "Being Processed" to "Order Placed" and the status on the catalogue entry is now saying Withdrawn from sale due to professional incompetents(sic) by Bandi :(:(:(

Last edited:
Soldato
Muttermutter rantrant .... I would like to see Code Geass series one but despite having the LE pre-ordered I haven't got it yet due to the issues with the disks.

I know where its being streamed (or you can download if you wish) but as of the potential legalities (not sure if its a legal stream or not) I won't link here. If you want the link etc just give me a shout.

Soldato
I know where its being streamed (or you can download if you wish) but as of the potential legalities (not sure if its a legal stream or not) I won't link here. If you want the link etc just give me a shout.

Oh if I wanted to see it I'm pretty sure I could find it very quickly ;) .... but I want a nice legal copy on DVD :(

My Shana boxset came this morning along with School Rumble season 1 (having given up on the R2 release). Also result from Fedex on my last lot of japanese orders ... they have admitted that their calculations were wrong and refunded me ~£20 in vat and duty and their admin charge for screwing up.

Now I need to go and order some more manga as I'm burning through Fruit Basket at a worryingly quick speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
:: insert many rude words here ::

Went to settle down this evening and watch Shana and the **** disks won't play, at all on my main players and barely with lots of noise on my other players ...

muttermuttermutter

Soldato
:eek:
All of the boxset?Man that sounds bad,bad pressing at the factory?
TRied on a pc?Sometimes i have found that discs that wont play on a standalone play fine on a pc:)

Just tried it on my laptop and it seemed to play there ... trouble is I don't use a PC for the vast majority of my DVD watching ....

edit: Spoke to UP this morning and they said to send it back for refund or replacement.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had some figures come today which means my figma collection now has the five members of the SOS Brigade :D (along with Nanoha and Konata)

Also had Mina from Getsumento Heiki Mina come ... not a series I have even seen but anyone who has seen the series of Densha Otaku will know her from the opening credits and the main characters figure (which was very expensive and was broken during filming). I still think that Mina from the opening of Densha Otaku is one of the prettiest characters I have seen animated, (although I do like Misaki Ito in the series too :p)

Soldato
Seen a few eps of this,mainly because of the intro to Densha:D
Bit boring i found won`t spoil the story for anyone.Must try to watch a few more maybe it gets better after epp5:)

I may have seen the first few episodes ;) but I got the figure more for the Densha Otaku tie-in as that's a series I really like, (although they completely mis-cast the film).

I see Media Blasters have their solicitations out for December .... no Genshiken 2 though .... I was hoping that with Kujibiki Unbalance having finished being released now as singles with a complete boxset out in November they would start releasing it :(

It does mean that I currently have very little ordered after November (which is probably a good thing :)) ...

Soldato
I still think that Mina from the opening of Densha Otaku is one of the prettiest characters I have seen animated, (although I do like Misaki Ito in the series too :p)

Each to their own :p
Personally I would put different person up there myself, probably go tessa (full metal panic), feldt (gundam 00), toa (dragonaut - the resonance) or Aneasha Ol Megarla (heroic age - although none are exactly ugly). I probably prefer the newer animation styles to the older ones though.
But having said that there aren't exactly many ugly characters in anime when it comes to women :o

Soldato
Each to their own :p
Personally I would put different person up there myself, probably go tessa (full metal panic), feldt (gundam 00), toa (dragonaut - the resonance) or Aneasha Ol Megarla (heroic age - although none are exactly ugly). I probably prefer the newer animation styles to the older ones though.
But having said that there aren't exactly many ugly characters in anime when it comes to women :o

Oh yes, there's many characters that are good looking and/or sexy, (hey I've been watching 4 disks of Gurren Lagann most of today and [possible spoiler] Yoko in school teacher mode is pretty nice[/spoiler] ;)), it just the begining of the opening of Densha when she's standing on the building and looking out and smiling I think she looks nice, happy and energetic.

Gurren Lagann is a mad series .... good fun though :)

Soldato
Oh yes, there's many characters that are good looking and/or sexy, (hey I've been watching 4 disks of Gurren Lagann most of today and [possible spoiler] Yoko in school teacher mode is pretty nice[/spoiler] ;)), it just the begining of the opening of Densha when she's standing on the building and looking out and smiling I think she looks nice, happy and energetic.

Gurren Lagann is a mad series .... good fun though :)

Oh theres plenty of characters like that (pretty when smiling into space :p) and I've seen gurren lagan and yes I agree it kind of works for her although you can't really complain about her usual outfit :rolleyes:

As to the series, the first couple of episodes I was like, this is bloomin stupid, then it started getting better about the time viral was introduced properly and then continued on relatively watchable until the end when it just went to 'what the ......' style for the last couple of episodes (in my opinion) although it has some moving moments too.

I just finished watching tsukuyomi moon phase and I would say its in some way similar to rozen maidens (growth, admitting feelings etc) although using vampires but it does have a bit more of a childish edge to it in my opinion - worth a watch though even if it does over do the large pans dropping on heads (what is it with anime and dropping pans on heads?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom