Working and family life

Man of Honour
It's a possibility but then the other one would have to do more overtime to pay the ever increasing bills :(

Then don't have kids. Why have kids if neither of you can spend time with them. Have you taken into account all the goverment money you can claim as parents.

Soldato
Then don't have kids. Why have kids if neither of you can spend time with them. Have you taken into account all the goverment money you can claim as parents.

All the Government money? You mean the whopping £21 a week? :p

I'm not fussed, either of us can go self employed when the time comes. Should end up on pretty much the same/slightly more cash and we'd have more flexable hours.

Soldato
surly it's more than that.. As there's several different things you can claim isn't there?

Just ran through the calculator on entitledto.co.uk and it's come up with £21 p/w between us. Hardly seems worth it at that, we can survive just fine without it and there's many more people who need it more than we do. I'd rather leave the money in the system in the hope that it's put to better use tbh

Soldato
Don't start this again :p

We own our own place but it really doesn't make any difference. Bills go up regardless of rent or mortgage :(

It might well do if you were paying less on that primary expense (rent\mortgage) ;)

If I were to buy a home myself, I'd be paying a lot of interest due to lack of deposit and I'd be struggling with that because my income is basically minimum wage + 10%.

Whereas my current rent is not only reasonable for the area, it includes pretty much all bills and can only be increased once a year. I also don't need to spend money on property maintainence...

Anyway, enough rambling from me :p

Soldato
Its a hard, i get grief all the time from my wife all the time. I own a care home and home care company. I have to work 7 days a week. I leave at 8am and I'm generally back by 5pm then I'm back at work for 8pm the last two holidays my family have gone without me and its been over a years since I have gone on a family day.

I have commitments which I have to keep and if the work does not get done then their is no one else to do it.

I feel sorry for your wife!

Una

Una

Associate
My new job leaves me with very little free time really. I'm typically doing 8:30 - 20:00 weekdays and working the occasional Saturday as well... +1 hour commute each way. Not sure what my long term plan is ... I really struggle with the routine. I guess long term I plan to go contracting once I have a few more years experience first and chose my own hours.

Man of Honour
OP
There you go, you need to shorten your commute or change jobs. Maybe get out the rat race ;)

I usually get 4pm-midnight
Or
2pm -10pm

To do my own stuff. Depending If I'm on days or nights. But good thing is works only like 15mins away not even that early in the mourning.

Easier said than done.. The job i do is restrictied to the City so it would mean a new job career, which I'm working on. We can't rely on my wifes earning so it does make it more harder to just leave. That said, I know people do longer hours and wonder how they manage?

Soldato
Easier said than done.. The job i do is restrictied to the City so it would mean a new job career, which I'm working on. We can't rely on my wifes earning so it does make it more harder to just leave. That said, I know people do longer hours and wonder how they manage?

Have you thought about reducing days on your contract?

I know quite a few people who are moving down to three and four day contracts to spend more time doing the things they want rather than working.

Soldato
Commuting is the biggest waste of time and money, my trip to work takes about an hour. By cutting out that you have gained 2 hours a day!

I am now working 4 on 4 off 12 hour days, 4 days off pwnz.

At least you aren't addicted to MMORPGs

family is easy to fit in by comparison. :)

Associate
Im a firm believer in the saying "you work to live, not live to work", If you are not spending enough time with your family and friends then get another job that does not require you to work so many hours, Also make every weekend count, My dad used to work a lot during the week but made a point of taking us all out on the weekends and to be hounest i don't feel that i was with him any less than with my mum.

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;12534226 said:

I know quite a few people who are moving down to three and four day contracts to spend more time doing the things they want rather than working.

This is a good idea, the company has to take a request like this into consideration, I reduced my hours at my previous job when my son was born it meant i could spend more time with him getting to see all his firsts (first word which happend to be daddie, First steps, First time rolling over on his front) although i lost half my wages it was well worth it and i wouldnt change it for the world

Soldato
Although the pay is less than the private sector I am very glad, and somewhat smug that I work in the public sector. I get plenty of time with the wife and kid. I do wonder how people like Huddy with long hours cope though..

Soldato
the company has to take a request like this into consideration.

AFAIK, Huddy is a contractor so although he's his own boss and has to take this into consideration the company he's contract to doesn't.

However, I have noticed more and more contractors going it. I have a colleage on my current contract who has wednesday off every week and a guy I used to work with at the beeb did 4 days compressed into 3 allowing him to commute from Spain and still spend a 4 day weekend with his family out there.

Man of Honour
OP
[DOD]Asprilla;12534226 said:

I have as it happens, I'm waiting for an answer. However, any change would be permanent and they would like me to work an extra hour on the days I do work.. However, the day off would give me an ideal oppertunity to expand my business I'm starting. I'm going to think about this one out. I guess we can't have it all.

Soldato
It's always a problem unless you have independant means.

Most of us are forced into choosing between chasing the dollar and having the liesure time with our loved ones.

Look at the faces of some of the people who are in the money race and ask yourself if they are enjoying life and how those stresses will get to them and their health/loved ones in a few years time.

We all like "nice things" but mostly neither we or our family actually need them and our kid's memories of childhood will be of the good times together as a family rather than the petrol guzzling SUV or dad's Rolex etc.

I'm not a green, tree hugging hippy but finding that ballance between ££££££ and being able to enjoy it with ones loved ones is very hard.

I've experienced loads of dosh and living on the breadline and when my sons (33 and 35) talk of childhood, they very rarely mention the times when we had ££££££, but nearly always recount with affection the times when we were struggling through financially but together and happy.

Food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom