Crysis Warhead - Gone Gold

Associate
Not impressed to be honest,have to see how the game plays,as for performance and graphics expect plenty of textures popping up 2 foot in front of you,is this the optimised crysis we were promised,and it seems as though they have changed the video classifications a bit.

I do like the new dual hand machine guns plenty of carnage in close battles.

I have had to go into the cvars to incease the draw distance because i couldnt stand the pop ups,really noticable in forest areas where there is lots of textures on the floor.About the same performance as the original crysis now with the draw distance increased.

In case anybody asks i am running 4 gig 8500 ram,q6600,GTX280...

Soldato
Not impressed to be honest,have to see how the game plays,as for performance and graphics expect plenty of textures popping up 2 foot in front of you,is this the optimised crysis we were promised,and it seems as though they have changed the video classifications a bit.

I have had to go into the cvars to incease the draw distance because i couldnt stand the pop ups,really noticable in forest areas where there is lots of textures on the floor.About the same performance as the original crysis now with the draw distance increased.

Pretty much the same things I said a few pages back and got flamed for by juvenille iditots!

So you have a GTX280 I have 4870 which means this game is most likely as suspected by many performance increased by tweaking the draw distance or reducing texture quality. Very suprising as I would have expected a top end Nvidia card to handle this game easily with all the talk Crytek have said about tweaking.

Have not found performance much difference with no AA so looks like the same old Crytek marketing BS on performance.

Pretty obvious all they have done is rename the graphic configs & reduce the draw distance to a very low amount.

Wonder how the guys with 4870X2 & GTX260/280 SLI will get on!

Associate

So it sounds like Crytek have cheated, increasing performance by reducing the draw distance by default? Did they honestly think that no one would notice?

Soldato
Well, i've played it a bit and they've done what i assumed - they've renamed the settings in an effort to throw people off the scent of what's been done to 'fix' the engine. I set it to gamer, the equivalent of which was High in crysis. High didn't run too well in the original crysis for me but it looked stunning, Gamer runs rather well in Warhead but something just didn't feel right. After running around for a while i've come to a conclusion, the performance increase experienced is mainly down to crytek cutting out certain effects that were present in its predecessors equivalent settings.

For example, if i cloak in 'High' in crysis a cool static effect appears on the screen, however if i cloak in warhead the fuzz is no longer present. Object pop in seems to be slightly more noticeable in warhead, but what i've seen the most of is texture pop in. If i look at a rock, turn away, then look back again (without moving) the texture will load after 1/2 a second of looking at it. I spent a good 10 seconds staring at a rock face waiting for the texture to load (it never did).

I am the first to admit my system isn't top of the range, athlon dual core, 8800GT and 4 gig of ram isn't much these days, but it ran crysis with custom configs just fine. In this i get better framerates but to be honest it just isn't as good looking. Crysis may have crushed my PC beneath its heels, but at least it looked gorgeous while doing it.

Last edited:
Associate
For these people having texture popin problems, have you tried setting texturestreaming to 0 in a config file. I don't know whether this will help, but it seems like the part of the settings which could be causing the problem.

Associate
Crytek, in a recent interview, stated that not has performance been improved but so has the visual quality of the game. Sounded too good to be true at the time... guess it was? I'll have to see for myself.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well at 1920x1080 I get 25-30 FPS in Enthusiast mode for everything in DX9, in DX10 it is 15-25FPS.

At 1680x1050 I get30fps pretty solid.

I have to say there's no stuttering like in Crysis, I don't notice much popup in the jungle, there is some but ONLY the leaves that are lighter coloured and single spread out about.

Very nice!

Q6600 3.1GHz
8GB DDR2 @ 1:1
4870 not ocd
Vista64

aob

aob

Associate
Well what I fully expected the optimizations to be were custom configs that are essentially reduced versions of crysis' high/very high, with effects lowered that your average gamer wouldn't notice/miss.

Reviews seemed to have implied the enthusiast setting runs great compared crysis' very "high setting".

Anyone playing on enthusiast? Is it playable?

Associate
Well i got this yesterday early from a certain online retailer and had chance to install and play..(well lets face it mess around with settings etc..)..the game late last night after work.

I set my settings to what i had set in the original crysis which on warhead are..everything on enthusiast except shaders and shadows(in dx10) which i have got set to gamer and for me it tends to run anything between around min 20fps and max 30/35fps and i would say averages around the 25/30fps mark.

When i first ran the game i cranked everything upto enthusiast reading what online reviews and crytek had said about "the performance improvements" and to be honest i thought at first it ran like a dog at around 15fps-20fps and yes i do realise that my rig is not top of the range but i thought with more or less the same settings i had in the original crysis it would run a little better than that.

Anyway one thing i have found is that if i change settings without quitting out the game and reloading it my fps tends to nose dive whereas if i change my settings, quit out then restart my game it tends to be a lot better and more stable fps wise.

Just my thoughts initially as only played abit into the first level but im still very doubtfull about the "performance improvements" that have been touted about by crytek and online reviews.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finding some issues here. Been playing around with the graphics presets and it does not like this much as crashing to desktop with out of memory errors (I have 4GB Ram). Try changing the settings 4-5 times and see what happens as that seems to be when it CTDs.

Also cannot notice any visual difference between gamer & mainstream and the FPS is the same as well.

Minimum =30FPS
Mainstream =15FPS
Gamer =15FPS
Enthusiasts =10FPS

All of these are without any AA whatsoever in DX10 mode. Firefights are just as jerky as Crysis unless I play on minimum.

Last edited:
Associate
Finding some issues here. Been playing around with the graphics presets and it does not like this much as crashing to desktop with out of memory errors (I have 4GB Ram). Try changing the settings 4-5 times and see what happens as that seems to be when it CTDs.

Yeah i have definetely noticed this as in mine does not crash to the desktop but fps wise as soon as i start messing about with graphical settings in game and carrying on "without quitting and reloading the game", the fps seems to nose dive a little and stuttering increases.

Again, if you change any graphical settings, quit out the game and reload it and that seems to make it very stable for me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom