LCD or Plasma

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;12550411 said:
Sorry I missed this comment earlier, I was busy regassing my plasma.

I only have electric in my flat and no gas. How am I supposed to re-gas my plasma without a mains supply.

It is leaking already...... I'm......feeling.........Sleeeeeepyy.................

For the op, PX80 :D

Soldato
The OP really should do a search - these threads come up almost daily, llet alone weekly.

When I was looking to move into the world of flat-screen, HD lovelyness I spent absolutely ages looking at various Plasma and LCD screens.
I travelled miles to see certain models in the flesh so I knew I wasn't going to make a mistake (when you plan on spending around £900 - £1000 you don't want to make a mistake).

In the end my conclusion was that if you want the absolute best quality image then Plasma was the way to go.
However I found a whole host of LCDs out there that were almost as good - as close as possible without being plasma.
Nearly every time it was either a Sony or Samsung that was as good (not saying other makes aren't as good - just from my own research).

So in the end I wanted a 40" - 42" full HD (1080p) unit and so it was LCD.
I purchased the Samsung F86 40" screen and I've been extremely happy with it.
Watching a Bluray in full 1080p is something to behold!
SD viewing is fine for the majority of the time - like al LCDs it has it's occasional problems, but what makes up for it is when the source is good.

Associate
OP
I'm no further nearer now than when I started........LOL.
Choices:
Plasma = Panasonic TH-37PX80
or
LCD = LG 37LG5000 or Toshiba 37XV505/555DB, any preference as to which LCD guys please?

Soldato
No don't consider the Samsung it doesn't use very good screen compared to the other larger 40" Samsungs. It has worse viewing angles and blacks.

I think the Plasma will serve you fine and probably the best of the bunch. But I am still not sure the video will display properly from a HTPC. I think the best thing to do is, to research this area of the Plasma and see if there are any problems.

Soldato
Is there a particular sized screen at which point getting a plasma isn't necessarily recommended over an LCD? I've heard people say that if you're going for less than 42" then the plasma doesn't offer any advantages.

Associate
OP
So, I've basically decided on the Panny TH-37PX80. How will the 1080p thingy affect my viewing now or in the future with reference to watching Blu-Ray films?

Soldato
Is there a particular sized screen at which point getting a plasma isn't necessarily recommended over an LCD? I've heard people say that if you're going for less than 42" then the plasma doesn't offer any advantages.

Only in terms of cost. A 32" plasma is going to be much more expensive than the LCD equivalent and so won't be worth it. People will tell you that LCD has advantages at that size because you can get them to be 1080p, but for me, 1080p is pointless below 40" (I'd even go so far as to say 50") uless you are going to be using it as a desktop.

So, I've basically decided on the Panny TH-37PX80. How will the 1080p thingy affect my viewing now or in the future with reference to watching Blu-Ray films?

Resolution isn't the be all and end all of image quality, there is far more to it that that involved in image processing. The Panny PX series are fantastic screens which produce a very good image, better than a lot of 1080p TVs I've seen. Forget the numbers and look at the picture.

I've got a 42" 720p TV that I'd put up as at least the equal of any screen of the same size.

Last edited:
Soldato
You are stuffed. :p

No seriously, it depends on how serious you are about watching HD content. If you are, you might want to go back to considering a LCD. If you aren't then you've already made the right choice.

Back
Top Bottom