LCD or Plasma

Associate
OP
I've just seen the TH-37PX80 at the same price as the TH-42PX70, what's with the numbers - are they just newer models (80s), and what's important is the diff in these two in particular?

Soldato
I've just seen the TH-37PX80 at the same price as the TH-42PX70, what's with the numbers - are they just newer models (80s), and what's important is the diff in these two in particular?

The 80s are the latest generation and the 70s are the previous gen. A lot of issues were fixed (purple snakes and green fringing) so I'd pick the 80 over the 70 easily.

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;12552692 said:
Resolution isn't the be all and end all of image quality, there is far more to it that that involved in image processing. The Panny PX series are fantastic screens which produce a very good image, better than a lot of 1080p TVs I've seen. Forget the numbers and look at the picture.

That’s interesting. I am currently deciding between the Panny 42" PX80 and PZ80 (for my parents).

I am leaning slightly towards the PX80 as currently they will be mostly watching SD TV or DVD’s.

I reckon they are going to be keeping the set for quite a while (probably until it breaks). So would it be worth going for the PZ80 as they may want to watch HD in a few years time.

Soldato
That’s interesting. I am currently deciding between the Panny 42" PX80 and PZ80 (for my parents).

I am leaning slightly towards the PX80 as currently they will be mostly watching SD TV or DVD’s.

I reckon they are going to be keeping the set for quite a while (probably until it breaks). So would it be worth going for the PZ80 as they may want to watch HD in a few years time.

It's not an easy decision as there are lots of variables to take into account. Many people will tell you to go down the 1080p route in order to be 'futureproof', but this is so much rubbish that it makes me want to hurt gerbils. A triumph of marketing over common sense.

HDTV from Sky, Virgin or Freeview (when it comes out) is usually broadcast in 720p and only occasionally broadcast in 1080i, never in 1080p. This is not likely to change as increasing the number of channels increases the revenue of the broadcasters (though subs and advertising) whereas increasing the quality is actually an increase in cost for them. Given there is limited bandwidth available this is only going to go one way. In a similar scenario to DAB radio many broadcasters are actually reducing their broadcast quality as most consumers can't tell the difference.

This means that your TV or your digibox is upscaling, downscaling or deinterlacing in order to produce the image you see. These are very important processes and if done badly can produce judder and artifacts in the picture you see on the screen. Generally speaking digiboxes aren't very good so you are best off relying on your TV to do this but if your TV does a bad job then it doesn't matter how many pixels you've got, it's still going to look rubbish.

SD TV is still going to account for the vast majority of viewing for some time.

Most people under estimate how close they actually sit to the TV, if someone says 6' then I'd say that it's more likely to be around 10'. I actually measured it and I sit 8'6" from a 42" TV in what is a pretty small room. If you want to differentiate between 1080p and 720p then you've got to sit about 6' away from your TV. Unless you are an AV nut (like many here, that's why we are here) your lounge isn't going to be set up solely to focus on the screen; the TV will be a focus point, but it won't be planned for the optimum viewing experience and therefore I doubt that most consumers will get anything like the benefit of 1080p.

Finally, ignoring all the numbers and technologies involved (most of what you read about in the glossy marketing should be turned off anyway to get the most natural picture) the most important thing is that you are happy with the image produced in the long term (this is important; bright shiny images can be nice at first but can actually be tiring to watch). As such the best advice I can give you is to go and demo the models you are interested in at an independent dealer who will let you adjust the image settings and watch a number of different sources (HD & SD) on the screens side by side.

When I went to demo I looked at the 42PX80, 42PZ80, Sony 40X3500 and Kuro 428XD. I really wanted the Sony when I walked in and when I walked out it was between the PX80 and the Kuro as they were best for me and how / what I watch. The only differentiation was budget.

Soldato
After reading tons of sources I'm still none the wiser on what I should get.

My use will be 720/1080p films streamed from laptop, Freeview and SD DVD's.

I always thought I'd get an LCD, but the fact it's rubbish for SD viewing has totally swayed me. The only thing thats putting me off Plasma is price and size. Origially I wanted a 37" 1080p model - the living rooms not that big and the viewing distance is about 6ft, and 1080p was almost a necessity for streaming HD films.

Now with all this talk of resolution not mattering etc I'm totally confused. Should I go for a 1080p Plasma (and therefore almost have to get a 42" and pay more), settle for a Plasma with a lower res or go LCD?

Soldato
the living rooms not that big and the viewing distance is about 6ft

Get a tape measure and check. If it's 5' or 7' it makes a big difference. As I mentioned before most people under estimate this.

and 1080p was almost a necessity for streaming HD films.

Why?

The resolution is only useful if the function of screen size and the distance you sit away from it is sufficient for you to be able to tell the difference between 1080 and 720p. -Ad- and badbob each have the Pio Kuro 5090, the best TV currently available; that's 50" and they both sit around 6' from it in order to get the best use of its 1080p.

I'm not saying resolution is unimportant, I'm saying that there are many, many factors that decide which is the best TV for you.

Soldato
and 1080p was almost a necessity for streaming HD films.

it really isn't the be all some make it out to be, i've currently got a 56" 1280x720 RP set and to be honest it still gives out a wonderful HD picture...i'm about to go 50" 9G Kuro but if i had to keep what i have it wouldn't be the end of the world.

as already said quite a lot, the overall panel quality is more important than resolution......biggest benefit of 1080p is for PC gaming imo although that in itself requires a GPU with more grunt also :p

i'd definitely take a quality 720p set like the XD Kuro or PX Pana over cheaper 1080p panels.

Soldato
I went into a store and spent a couple of hours watching all the plasma's and LCD's with various inputs.

For me the Panasonic 42PX80 is the best for watching SD and as far as I could see just as good for HD content (apart from the Kuros but that cost over 3x times as much!!) Throw in the fact it's one of the cheapest and it was an easy decision to make.

I haven't regretted my decision once, couldn't be happier with it. For £600 it's a genuine bargain!

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;12561438 said:
It's a pity as those new LGs have a lovely picture.

Yeah the LGs do a nice picture there's no denying that. I remember back a year or so ago, I was considering an LG screen. Then I read all the problems that people had with the LGs and it put me right off. I mean, I'm not saying they can't produce a good picture, because some of them can. It's just unfortunate they have problems in some areas.

Associate
I went into a store and spent a couple of hours watching all the plasma's and LCD's with various inputs.

For me the Panasonic 42PX80 is the best for watching SD and as far as I could see just as good for HD content (apart from the Kuros but that cost over 3x times as much!!) Throw in the fact it's one of the cheapest and it was an easy decision to make.

I haven't regretted my decision once, couldn't be happier with it. For £600 it's a genuine bargain!

That's good to hear. I am most probably going for the 42PX80.

One of the things I was wondering with the PX80 was the fact it has the 100Hz scanning feature with no option to turn it off. Have you noticed any problems because of this?

Soldato
Panasonic Plasma 100Hz is pure marketing, even the Panasonic trainer admitted as much (I used to be a 'vision champion' for the purple shirts, so went away on some weekends for training purposes etc) under questioning. Effectively they put it on there to combat people considering Plasma inferior because they dont have it written on like LCDs. Stuff like thier own MotionProII/III and IFC do make a difference, same with other brands, but the 100Hz is pure marketing and doesnt actually do anything, hence why you cant find a way to turn it off :)

Also, I could be wrong, but for reference AFAIK, the PZ series are better than PX with Pannys, basically along with the model number it donates product range; where X is budget/cheaper range and Z are premium. :)
(thats mostly aimed at people considering a Panny TV, I do like 'em, some of thier people at Panasonic House are really quite enthusiastic about what they do too which is nice to see)

Soldato
That's good to hear. I am most probably going for the 42PX80.

One of the things I was wondering with the PX80 was the fact it has the 100Hz scanning feature with no option to turn it off. Have you noticed any problems because of this?
No not had a single issue with the set :)
Also, I could be wrong, but for reference AFAIK, the PZ series are better than PX with Pannys, basically along with the model number it donates product range; where X is budget/cheaper range and Z are premium. :)
(thats mostly aimed at people considering a Panny TV, I do like 'em, some of thier people at Panasonic House are really quite enthusiastic about what they do too which is nice to see)
Maybe on paper or in tech speak but I let my eyes pick. I did want to go for the PZ model as the higher price and 1080P were telling me it's a better set.... truth was the PX has the best SD picture I've seen on any set at any price. It really is excellent and as that's what I'll be watching on the TV 90% of the time so who's to say what's the best?

I say go in store and have a look yourself ideally?

Soldato
you also get judder free 24fps playback through the PZ which i believe isn't spec'd on the PX range .....anyone who watches a lot of ntsc film and/or BD/HD-DVD will definitely appreciate that.

judder is the most annoying thing ever after you've spent thousands on your TV/Audio setup....some ppl don't even notice it but it really annoys the crap out of me personally.

Back
Top Bottom