• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

hdmi output

Associate
I am looking for a cheap graphics card with hdmi output for a media server I am building. I would prefer if the sound was also output from the hdmi (if thats possible).

The output is going to Be displayed at 1080p via blueray or movies stored on the hard drives.

The media server will be put together from old hardware and currently has 2GB ram and an Ati 3800x2 processor. I will be setting it up with either windows server 2003 or 2008 (I get both for free from the academic alliance through my university)

Any suggestions?

Soldato
A £25 HD 3450 will do the job just fine if you just want 2.1 Audio over HDMI. If you want better audio, then go for a newer ATI 4xxx card

Soldato
on these cards, how does the HDMI work? do you get a little adaptor for the DVI ports or something? I've never seen a photo of a GFX card with an HDMI port on it, but they all say they have built-in HDMI these days.

I didn't think you could get sound from DVI ports.

Associate
on these cards, how does the HDMI work? do you get a little adaptor for the DVI ports or something? I've never seen a photo of a GFX card with an HDMI port on it, but they all say they have built-in HDMI these days.

I didn't think you could get sound from DVI ports.

You cain't over DVI, thats correct however the dongle does attach to the DVI port, as the connection is universal, for example you can attach an analog vga dongle to it. The port has all the signals, the dongle filters the source for the device your outputting too.

Soldato
ATI card's need an proper ATI HDMI adapter if you want sound to work. The cheaper cards dont come with with, but you can buy them for about a £5+ from ebay etc.

Associate
the ati cards that go into media pcs such as the 2400 pro and hd3450 usually do not come with the necessary dvi to hdmi, tha dapters for the 2000 and 3000 are also not the same. Its worht looking for those few cards from sapphire, asus and gecube that have the native hdmi

Back
Top Bottom