windows home server restore PC

Associate
I have windows home server installed on a pc and backing up my other on it fine. no problems with the backup.
I need to restore a pc onto a new hard drive. The restore process using the disk work fine, but when i go to restart the pc i'm getting "Boot disk failure, unrecognised system disk"? I tried using an XP disc to repair the MBR but that doesn't work.
I can see the hard drive fine, by putting it into another machine, and I can access the files, but it won't boot. I thought WHS should sort out the disk so that it would restore and boot as before????
I'm hoping someone has the answer to this as I've tried everything I know.
Any help would be welcome, please....

Associate
OP
It's in the same pc. The old drive is a SATA but the test one i'm using to restore onto is an IDE. Didn't think this would make any difference though.

The strange thing is that all the files look ok after the restore. and i've tried the usual things like FIXMBR and FIXBOOT but it makes no difference.

The boot order hasn't changed. Floppy, cd-rom and then hard drive. Don't think there was an option to specify which type of hard drive i.e. SATA or IDE.

Any ideas???

Associate
OP
I suspected that may be an issue, but surely it shouldn't matter. I would have thought that it would work as long as it can write to the disk etc then it should work?

Don
it is an issue

things like acronis true image can do it

i guess this once again highlights the pointlessness of home server!

you're going to need to use a sata drive here i'm afraid

Soldato
My WHS has saved my bacon a couple of times, I've been able to restore a RAID to a single SATA disc with no problem, I think it's using IDE that is throwing a spanner in the works.

Associate
OP
i feel so stupid.....
After all the grief trying to do a restore i just realised that i had previouly disabled the ide controllers in the bios.
i feel so dumb...

Enabled them and the restores work absolutle perfect..
thanks for all your help anyway.

Back
Top Bottom