UltimateEars triple.fi 10 vs Shure SE530

Associate
Hi there,

I am looking for a good set of headphones and have narrowed it down to the UE triple.fi 10's and Shure SE530. I am having a really hard time deciding between these. I do not know anyone who owns these so am unable to try them and was wondering if anyone on here has any nuggets of information that may be of help to me.

I listen to a wide variety of music including classical, Metal and everything in between, my priorities are clarity and separation rather than thumping bass.

Right now I am leaning towards the Shures because I have read more people saying that they are a good fit and good all round sound while the Triple Fi's are better only with certain types of music and are a little more uncomfortable on the ears.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Soldato
I have the Metro.Fi 100s (cost me less than £20) and they are fantastic-bass is very clear compared to my old Sony EX81s which were just boomy. It is a much clearer sound-however, I have nothing but the Sonys to compare them to, and the Sonys are well known for their lack of clarity...

Associate
OP
Thanks I have heard those are pretty good.

Perhaps I am mad spending around £200 on headphones but I look on these as a one off investment and I really enjoy high clarity music. I only listen to uncompressed or FLAC tracks so want to really get the best out of these. Have kinda outgrown my Koss over ear phones and now want a canal type phone. MY wife bought a pair and I loved them, would steal them only they are pink.....

Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the link, I had considered the um2 headphones but they are only a dual driver and I had read several people saying that the bore of the insert is larger than the 530 or Ultimate Ear ones, they do get very good reviews though and I haven't ruled then out yet. I have quite small ears, just a pity there is no ability to try before you buy.

Just the 530 and UE seemed more of a fair ccomparison.

More research required methinks, thanks.

Soldato
You're not mad at all. I've got the Shure E4C (so small fry compared to what you're looking at), but it's worked out cheaper for me than my sister who keeps on buy £15 rubbish headphones. Mine have lasted me 4 years now and are going strong whilst she replaces hers seemingly all the time. Expensive earphones are well made and you look after them more because of their value - they thus last longer and, over time, end up costing them same.

My personal preference between the UE10's and the 530's would probably be for the UE10's, but I'm not sure I can really give a reason - they're both awesome earphones! Headfi is most certainly where you'll want to be researching.

EDIT:Look at this thread in particular, but take the negative comments with a pinch of salt - Headfi has a tendency to over-exaggerate differences and headphone's imperfections.

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Just a suggestion, perhaps a little "lower" than the two mentioned, but if clarity is what you want, I don't think they come a great deal clearer than Futuresonics Atrio M5s...

Soldato
I sold my E500's to my old man last year and we both did a comparison last weekend between them and my triple.fi's and we both agreed that the triples clarity gives them the edge.

I did love the E500's, great bass etc, but I really did want the clarity that you get with the triples, which has very good bass itself, not quite as pronounced, but punchy when needed, so that's my vote.

The Shure's are a little more comfortable, but with the mod, the triple's aren't exactly uncomfortable at all and another thing I noticed was that when my old man really pumped up the volume, he uses a hearing aid, so has it pretty loud, you could hear the music with the Shure's, but nothing at all with the triple's.

Associate
OP
You're not mad at all. I've got the Shure E4C (so small fry compared to what you're looking at), but it's worked out cheaper for me than my sister who keeps on buy £15 rubbish headphones. Mine have lasted me 4 years now and are going strong whilst she replaces hers seemingly all the time. Expensive earphones are well made and you look after them more because of their value - they thus last longer and, over time, end up costing them same.

My personal preference between the UE10's and the 530's would probably be for the UE10's, but I'm not sure I can really give a reason - they're both awesome earphones! Headfi is most certainly where you'll want to be researching.

EDIT:Look at this thread in particular, but take the negative comments with a pinch of salt - Headfi has a tendency to over-exaggerate differences and headphone's imperfections.

Thanks for that link, I see what you mean, many swear by ther own purchase and find it hard to say anything negative. it is such a hard decision but a nice one to have to make, so enjoying the research. I am sure both are great. Still leaning towards the Shures, they don't look as if they will stick out as much (can lie down) and I hear more positives about the fit and comfort over a long time.

Been talking to a guy through the bay who seems to know his stuff, not tried to sell me either one over the other but said he will dig out some reviews for me.

Will update with pics and review of my purchase if anyone is interested.

Associate
OP
I sold my E500's to my old man last year and we both did a comparison last weekend between them and my triple.fi's and we both agreed that the triples clarity gives them the edge.

I did love the E500's, great bass etc, but I really did want the clarity that you get with the triples, which has very good bass itself, not quite as pronounced, but punchy when needed, so that's my vote.

The Shure's are a little more comfortable, but with the mod, the triple's aren't exactly uncomfortable at all and another thing I noticed was that when my old man really pumped up the volume, he uses a hearing aid, so has it pretty loud, you could hear the music with the Shure's, but nothing at all with the triple's.

Another point of view, thanks...no I really mean it, always good to get two sides of the debate. I am not a 8 hour a day wearer, more ta few hours at a time and longest time during flights, so for those purposes do you find they are comfortable enough?

What in your opinion are the negatives of each?

Sorry for the questions but I haven't found many people have tried both.

Thanks.

Edit/ Whats the mod you speak of? using them the opposite ears?

Last edited:
Soldato
Another point of view, thanks...no I really mean it, always good to get two sides of the debate. I am not a 8 hour a day wearer, more ta few hours at a time and longest time during flights, so for those purposes do you find they are comfortable enough?

What in your opinion are the negatives of each?

Sorry for the questions but I haven't found many people have tried both.

Thanks.

Edit/ Whats the mod you speak of? using them the opposite ears?

The mod is basically swapping the cable around, so the left goes in the right ear and visa versa, very easy to do and they lie better in the ear.

In my opinion:

The Shures don't have the clarity of the triples, but have a more warm, bassier sound in general, and are slightly more comfortable, especially with the Olive buds, which are superb.

The triples are based on more clarity, but don't lack in the bass department. They aren't quite as comfortable as the Shures, which sit flatter, but with the mod and some Comply T500 buds, they do fit very well indeed, although the Complys are light grey in colour, so have obvious problems after a while. I use an old set of complys, pushed inside one of the supplied sleeves and this gives a similar effect, without the wax issue. I normally use them for about an hour at a time and have no problems, although I have used them for 3+ hours before and found them very comfortable.

I normally listen to rock/metal, with some dodgy 80's pop thrown in now and then and my old man listens to rock/metal, 60's and classical mostly, although he only tried rock/metal when using mine, but he liked what he heard and I wouldn't be surprised if he sold them on and went for the triples in the near future.

I had a good look around Head.fi first and you'll find that both sets of phones have their supporters and to tell the truth, you won't be disappointed with either, but I think the main difference is clarity, if thats what you want, the triples are your answer, if a more warm, bassy sound, with slightly superior comfort, then the Shures are the way to go.

Be prepared though, after buying one of these, its a minimum of 320kbps and you'll never listen to cheaper makes again.;)

Soldato
Thanks I have heard those are pretty good.

Perhaps I am mad spending around £200 on headphones but I look on these as a one off investment and I really enjoy high clarity music. I only listen to uncompressed or FLAC tracks so want to really get the best out of these. Have kinda outgrown my Koss over ear phones and now want a canal type phone. MY wife bought a pair and I loved them, would steal them only they are pink.....

Cheers.

Lol, I wasn't recommending the Metro.Fi that I have for your purposes, was just implying that Ultimate Ears make pretty good stuff judging by mine :D

I realise that you are after something a little more high end!

Associate
I shortlisted the same 2 phones & went with the Shure as everyone says they are way more comfy. Should get them in a week or so as bought them from here as in land of Knifey Spoony they are way more expensive.

Soldato
Hmmmm must do some research into a new upgraded pair for myself too.

My westone um1 got closed in the boot of my gfs car when we got out at the airport, then got dragged around for the next day and a half before her dad noticed :(

Maybe upgrade time ti some Er4p or these tripple-fi.

Associate
I have SE530's and a pair of ER4P's - the SE's are truly awesome - clarity - power and poise under any circumstances - the ER4P's are also excellent - not as warm as the SE's but powerful and crystal clear - depending on what I am listening to makes the decision to wear either simple!

khushy

Soldato
I've owned the se530 for about 2 years now and in general I absolutely love them. The sound quality is fantastic, with bass a particular strength. The depth to the sound and the ability to pick out instruments makes listening a joy. The isolation is also fantastic and makes my daily commute much more bearable.

However, the longer I own them the more I find the lack of highs irritates me. In classical music I just find that violins just don't sing, they just sound a bit flat. I manage to remedy this using a treble booster on my iPod eq. That for me is the biggest problem with the 530s, although I would tend to say that I like my music 'bright'

In all honesty I think I'm being very picky stemming from looking for perfection, but I know in general people find the 530s lack highs compared to the triple.fi

Associate
I own a triple-fi UE 10.

The sound quality is really good. Stunning high and polite bass.

The manufacture ear tip are not that comfortable. I mod them with shure olive and they feel quite alright now. Not the best comfortable earphone.

Soldato
I've recent got a pair or Sleek Audio SA6's which have proved to be exceptionally good sound wise. With the various adjustable parts for the treble tube and bass port you can tune them to sound how you want. They are also very very small.

My other pair are Atrio M5s which are also brilliant sound wise, just off getting warranty repaired at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom