Nintendo Wii is now becoming very expensive..!!

Soldato
Not wanting to get into any arguments, but its pretty obvious that the WII isn’t really worth £179, considering the only gimmick it has is the wavy controller…

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to pick one up for messing around on, but at nearly £200 for console and game, plus extra for controllers etc, this isn’t really a cheap console at all….

I’ve got a PS3, paid £270 for it quite a few months ago after selling up my Xbox 360 in favour of having blu ray, movie DIVX and games all in one for my HDTV, best purchase for ages….. But consider what you get the PS3 is still not that overpriced, as it does a whole lot more then just play a few games as you dance around the room, so in terms of value for money PS3 over Wii is a bargain.

Take now the Xbox 360, still a very good console that can now be had for £129 if you just want the basic model, and the games for Xbox 360 are, in terms of eye candy miles ahead of Wii….

A PS2 can be purchased for £90 + you get hundreds of hundreds of sub £20 games, so Wii is in my opinion now the most expensive games console on the market…

Until Nintendo reduce the price for what is essentially a previous gen console with a gimmick, as much as I’d love to get one for a bit of family fun, I simply cannot justify its price…

Seems odd to say that, considering it ‘was’ last year the cheapest console on the market, but in terms of value compared to what you get, its bloody expensive, especially when you take into account you need a ton of peripherals for many a game title for the Wii adding to an already costly last gen games console…

£270 for my PS3 wasn’t so bad after all, and to think, I scoffed at the price when I picked mine up…

Soldato
I know a couple of people who bought a wii for £179 and then went on to buy a second wii-mote plus nun-chuck and then recharagable battery packs and a charger. With only a couple of games it takes the total past the £300 mark.

Soldato
I paid full wack for a Wii 4 or so months ago. Got a 2nd controller (Wii Play), 2nd nunchuck and a couple of games.

Totally resent the purchase and despite the odd family game it gathers dust.

I would sell it by my wife insists we keep it for some bizarre reason.

PS. I did love Super Mario Galaxy but I've moved on

Soldato
I've recently bought another for the kids for Christmas, I bought one at release but my son was a little too young and wasn't interested, now he actually wants one and plays games on my 360 and PS3 all the time so at least this time it'll actually get used.

I will say that I do think they're overpriced but I doubt Nintendo are going to lower the price any time soon with them still selling so well.

Soldato
To actually use the Wii to it's potential you do need a second Wiimote and nunchuck, so then it definately gets expensive. Then you buy a memory card, a classic controller (or two) + games and you are way over Ps3 price point.

Soldato
Really it's not that its expensive its how much you use it to justify the cost. I play it a lot so i consider it good value for money, its the 2 extra controllers (depending on how many people you want to play) plus the nunchucks, plus the Wiifit board that amount to the excess.

The games not actually that expensive compared the the 360 and PS3, if you look around new releases can be had for £25-£28 where as 360/PS3 games go for £40-£50.

Now i can justify my xbox as well because i play it a lot but i still can't justify a PS3 purchase, most expensive console on the market, i dont have a Large LCD screen, their are a few games out for it i want the rest are x-platform.

To me the PS3 is the most expensive console in the market for the use i'd get out of it, As soon as i get a HDTV and Blu Ray becomes cheaper then hey-ho its time to break my bank balance ;)

I do deem that people find the Wii expensive but thats mainly because its still launch price and people are getting bored of it and letting it gather dust.

Soldato
Well the wii isnt reall 'becoming very expensive' its as expensive as it alwayas has been, and infact you can get it for 179.99 with a game these days. The controllers do add up the cost a bit though..

Soldato
I agree the Wii is overpriced, considering that the 360 pro or whatever it's called now is a significantly more powerful machine with more features, is cheaper.

I'd quite like to buy another* Wii, but at £180 + the cost of another Wiimote, I can't really justify it.

* There's a Wii in my house but it belongs to my mum so I can't take it to uni with me. Some of the accessories for it are mine though.

aob

aob

Associate
I bought a second wiimote/nunchuck for mario kart and I totally regret it (hated the new mario kart)

But I agree, wiimote+nunchuck is a tad pricey.

As much as I like Nintendo first party games, they've done a lot of stuff to annoy me as a customer/gamer over the years.

Plus to see the wii's "intended" potential I feel I'm going to have to shell out again for the wii motionplus now, I don't think I'll have kept my wii by then.

When I compare how much use I got out of the n64, and to the lesser extent the under supported Gamecube, I do consider the wii expensive.

Associate
you could perhaps buy a cheap 360 and chip it, get 100's of the best games and still appreciate the games you pay for on PS3 :rolleyes:

and no, you don't sound like a fanboi, i'd say YOU are....... a fanboy.

yea and put yourself up to potentially getting banned from online. But then again, i buy games i know i will play whereas i would only pirate games for the sake of wanting to try it out leaving me in a mist of free games not knowing where to start. TRUST me it happens. (being a gamer since NES/pirating since dreamcast/ps1 :D)

Associate
yea and put yourself up to potentially getting banned from online. But then again, i buy games i know i will play whereas i would only pirate games for the sake of wanting to try it out leaving me in a mist of free games not knowing where to start. TRUST me it happens. (being a gamer since NES/pirating since dreamcast/ps1 :D)

Naughty pirate.
I remember when i had a ps2 and downloaded every game that came out.
But what a waste of time and discs as i never really played the games.
The ps1 was just the same and then it was the time of 2 speed cd burners and it used to take about half an hour to burn a disc.
I could not be bothered now as i like online play to much.

Soldato
Yeah, it is expensive... but broken down to a £ per hour basis, it's been a very worthwhile investment considering the amount of time our's has been used.

Soldato
Yeah, it is expensive... but broken down to a £ per hour basis, it's been a very worthwhile investment considering the amount of time our's has been used.
If I were to do that, then my PS3 would rate as my all time best value console ever. And I bought it when it was £399!
Fantastcially versatile piece of kit, I do love it.

Back
Top Bottom