Hazro - Any Update?

Associate
Someone mentioned maybe another firmware upgrade at some point didn't they?

I hope it's going to happen, does seem that they fix one bug, create another and just give a work around for another :/

I'm going have wait to pass judgement till tomorrow when hopefully mine will be sitting on my desk :)

Associate
So it seems Hazro fixed one major problem but discovered another can of worms. How they didn't find this out when developing the fix for the banding/snow problem is quite strange indeed. My guess is they rushed (again) this fix to please disgruntled owners without fully testing whether the firmware was bug-free.

Associate
Latest from Jez

Ok, here is what I have learned from MY phone call with Jez:

1. Latest firmware is 2.1 - this firmware does not have S-Video as an option.

2. RGB Sliders DO NOT WORK! - Jez gave me the reasons that
a) there is no memory left,
b) there is software to compensate for this,
c) the color presets still work, and
d) changing the color sliders did not dim the back light.
Color sliders may come back in the next version, but for now they are thinking in their heads that having RGB sliders for DVI in the first place was a "bad idea". Well, that is what they told me.

3. Snow is still an issue - Jez went so far to say that shielding did nothing to stop the snow problem, and only the software fix was available. I really don't know what else to say about this one. Seems to be a panel problem that they can't solve with firmware.

4. All banding is fixed - but we knew that already.

So everyone keep your fingers crossed when you get your monitor back. I do think they did everything they could with this one, but for anything better we will need for the next version.

Associate
My screen (or rather a different one) is back. To be fair, I wanted a new screen as I had a nasty accident with my first. Tried to change to HDMI to see if it solved my snow problem, and whilst reaching behind screen with HDMI cable, the very tip of the cable lightly touched the screen coating and left a mark about 5 pixels big. Was gutting! Unbelievably kindly though, Hazro (and specifically Jez) authorised a total replacement when I returned my old one for a firmware upgrade. Now that's customer service!

Anyway, comments:

Banding is completely gone, as previously reported. However, my snow problem is now HORRENDOUS, appearing all over the place! On the Checkemon Colour Gradients, it's all over the bottom right of my screen! Going to install Powerstrip now and pray it resolves my issue when I reduce the ramdac vertical frequency. Will update shortly....

UPDATE 1:

Just restarted after installing Powerstrip - I even bave major snow on the Windows XP boot screen - ie black with just the windows logo! NOOOOOOOOO!

UPDATE 2:

Had a very long phone call from Jez re the snow. On CheckeMon, using the colour gradients screen, I had APPALLING snow on the pink/purple screen. No amount of tweaking of powerstrip removed it. In the end, we tried changing DVI port on my Radeon 4850 and bizarrely, that has solved all my snow problems. However, I am waiting to see whether it remains gone!

Last edited:
Associate
my replacement is v2.0 and NOT 2.1. But the engineer at Hazro told me the only difference is that v2.0 has an S-Video option in the miscellaneous Menu [under 'input select'] and that this was removed in version 2.1.

I dont get why that menu is there in the 1st place and why we need it because pressing the SELECT button shows all the input options anyways and S-Video isn't present in that menu...weird...

but banding gone and powerstrip works for me ...so me is happy!!

Associate
My screen (or rather a different one) is back. To be fair, I wanted a new screen as I had a nasty accident with my first. Tried to change to HDMI to see if it solved my snow problem, and whilst reaching behind screen with HDMI cable, the very tip of the cable lightly touched the screen coating and left a mark about 5 pixels big. Was gutting! Unbelievably kindly though, Hazro (and specifically Jez) authorised a total replacement when I returned my old one for a firmware upgrade. Now that's customer service!

Anyway, comments:

Banding is completely gone, as previously reported. However, my snow problem is now HORRENDOUS, appearing all over the place! On the Checkemon Colour Gradients, it's all over the bottom right of my screen! Going to install Powerstrip now and pray it resolves my issue when I reduce the ramdac vertical frequency. Will update shortly....

UPDATE 1:

Just restarted after installing Powerstrip - I even bave major snow on the Windows XP boot screen - ie black with just the windows logo! NOOOOOOOOO!

Ouch ... I am so disgusted, this screen, if it worked, is simply the best I ever had, why can't they fix those problems .... :o

Associate
He told me the same as everyone else has heard. He presumed I had an ATI card, which I corrected him on, but he thinks the software fix is the way to go :( I'm presuming it might be coming clearer to them that it's happening on all types of graphics cards.

I received a call from Hazro today to let me know that my monitor will be delivered back to me tomorrow. The guy from Hazro also presumed that I had an ATI card and found it "surprising" when I stated nvidia.

Given that Hazro don't seem to realise that the problem isn't specific to a selection of ATI cards, I have a horrible feeling the software fix isn't going to work for me :(

Associate
do you think it is best for me to cancel my order for the 24Wi with Overclockers and pick a different monitor?

What is a good alternative, are there any others with H-IPS?

Associate
Forgive my ignorance but how do you go about doing this - do you need a TV tuner card for your PC or can you just hook it up direct?

No computer used, I just plug the Freesat HDMI out into the HDMI port on the back of the monitor.

For sound I have a speaker set wired into the Freesat box, but you should be able to get the sound from the audio outs on the back of the monitor.

Obviously you need a HD enabled Freesat, Sky or Virgin Media box.

Associate
Updated my post - I am now (for the time being) snow free, but although reducing the vertical frequency in Powerstrip reduced my snow, it didn't go completely. In the worst case, the snow was so bad, it was manifesting as distinct green flickering vertical lines. Not good!

In Hazro's defence though, Dell and Apple have had similar problems with snow and they are not just calling it a 'feature', but trying to help us deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom