Hazro - Any Update?

Associate
do you think it is best for me to cancel my order for the 24Wi with Overclockers and pick a different monitor?

What is a good alternative, are there any others with H-IPS?

Patience Daniel san.

I know the RGB sliders are non functional, but to be honest they were really only of use to lower the luminance. The back light has now been lowered further, so if its been done right then we should have a display with no banding, easy on the eye and no need for the RGB sliders, oh yeah un surpassed colours.

Associate
So just to clarify, Hazro haven't been able to resolve the snow problem and are advising people to use Powerstrip to adjust the refresh frequencies? I take it this is the only successful alternative to take in fixing green snow?

Associate
Updated my post - I am now (for the time being) snow free, but although reducing the vertical frequency in Powerstrip reduced my snow, it didn't go completely. In the worst case, the snow was so bad, it was manifesting as distinct green flickering vertical lines. Not good!

In Hazro's defence though, Dell and Apple have had similar problems with snow and they are not just calling it a 'feature', but trying to help us deal with it.

Did Hazro recommend any kind of limit as to how far you should reduce vertical refresh rate so as not to damage the monitor. Or would it only be increases in frequency that could cause damage?

Soldato
I see after reading this thread, gone are the days were you just got a screen and plugged it in.

It seems with this screen you must do 50 things to get it right and maybe even send it back as well.

Soldato
So just to clarify, Hazro haven't been able to resolve the snow problem and are advising people to use Powerstrip to adjust the refresh frequencies? I take it this is the only successful alternative to take in fixing green snow?

Just out of curiosity, are they providing a gratis version of powerstrip to everyone?

Associate
Patience Daniel san.

I know the RGB sliders are non functional, but to be honest they were really only of use to lower the luminance. The back light has now been lowered further, so if its been done right then we should have a display with no banding, easy on the eye and no need for the RGB sliders, oh yeah un surpassed colours.

but if they can't remove the snow, then the monitor is ridiculous. SOOoo glad my 26Wi doesn't suffer this problem. It's brilliant.

Associate
I was planning on getting this monitor but for them to say that you need to use software and configure it to remove a problem is a complete joke as is a control on the monitor not working.

Associate
Did Hazro recommend any kind of limit as to how far you should reduce vertical refresh rate so as not to damage the monitor. Or would it only be increases in frequency that could cause damage?

They said not to go below about 57hz if possible on the vertical refresh rate. Whilst trying to sort it myself, I found if you go too low, the screen begins to flicker like a CRT and then brings up a message saying the signal is out of range.

When we couldn't fix the snow entirely by reducing the frequency, we did try going about 60hz but that actually increased the noise.

Still no snow - thank god!

Associate
Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to collect our experiences with different video cards to pass on to Hazro, or simply so we know ourselves what tolerances are out there?

I personally think it is the particular panels' tolerance level. When I had my panel I tried every resolution, both brands (nVidia and ATI), new and VERY old (ATI 9000 anyone)! Nothing got rid of it.

Personally, if it didn't drive Hazro out of business, I would ask for a brand new panel if I had snow. But since there is no guaranty either way, I guess I'll live with what I get.

Associate
Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to collect our experiences with different video cards to pass on to Hazro, or simply so we know ourselves what tolerances are out there?

I personally think it is the particular panels' tolerance level. When I had my panel I tried every resolution, both brands (nVidia and ATI), new and VERY old (ATI 9000 anyone)! Nothing got rid of it.

Personally, if it didn't drive Hazro out of business, I would ask for a brand new panel if I had snow. But since there is no guaranty either way, I guess I'll live with what I get.

IMO I don't think it matters whether its NVidia or ATI it has more to do with quality of manufacture of your own particular card.

This 3rd monitor I received I was told I`d more than likely get green snow with it, because it has only partially gone through the upgrade procedure. It was a replacement because my other on completely died and was given on a temporary basis.

But I don't get snow with this one either.

Maybe its the brand, cheaper manufactures probably use components with wider tolerances.

My card is a BFG 8800GTX.

All just thoughts.

BTW does power strip work for you ?

Associate
I guess I don't really mind what the solution to the snow problem is as long as....
1) It doesn't compromise my computer or monitor's performance/accuracy
2) It doesn't cost me money
3) It's dependable

But it's starting to sound like they're guessing a bit - how can having vertical refresh at anything other than bang on 60Hz be correct? If they said adjust some porch settings, I might have understood.

Anyway - I haven't got my monitor yet or had direct contact with Hazro, so I guess I'll wait and see.

The slider thing is worrying me slightly too as I had them all at about 65 last time.
And I thought all the troubles would be over :(

Associate
Well powerstrip site says,

"PowerStrip is try-before-you-buy shareware. Should you find the software meets your needs, a single user license is US$29.95. Single and multiple licenses can be purchased using a secure online order form, or by phone, fax or postal mail. For additional quantity and site license information, please contact [email protected]."

philjohn pointed this out before asking if they were giving us a gratis version :/ I've not heard anything about this, but we need to wait see what's in the PDF.

Can't they do something like this is a driver for us?

Associate
Well I've got it running. I've received the panel back that I sent to them.

I've got Firmware 2.1 all seems good so far, haven't got any of the green sparks on my work machine, but I wont know what it's like till I get it plugged into my home machine and do stuff I know will give me them.

I'm impressed with the backlight reduction, but the left hand side seems brighter than the right, but at least my white haze has reduced :D

I have one major issue with my screen, and that is the appearance of damage on the back of my stand the vertical bit facing away from me. Looks like it was dropped on something and there is an inch x inch set of indents (dints) in the aluminium finish...

I think I'll be sending them an email and asking that they send me a new stand.

I can't see the damage from where I'm sitting and it hasn't affected the actual panel at all, but I really don't expect companies to damage screens and send them back without saying anything. I'm expecting to keep this screen for a while now and don't want any marks this soon after getting it :/

Associate
Well I've got it running. I've received the panel back that I sent to them.

I've got Firmware 2.1 all seems good so far, haven't got any of the green sparks on my work machine, but I wont know what it's like till I get it plugged into my home machine and do stuff I know will give me them.

I'm impressed with the backlight reduction, but the left hand side seems brighter than the right, but at least my white haze has reduced :D

I have one major issue with my screen, and that is the appearance of damage on the back of my stand the vertical bit facing away from me. Looks like it was dropped on something and there is an inch x inch set of indents (dints) in the aluminium finish...

I think I'll be sending them an email and asking that they send me a new stand.

I can't see the damage from where I'm sitting and it hasn't affected the actual panel at all, but I really don't expect companies to damage screens and send them back without saying anything. I'm expecting to keep this screen for a while now and don't want any marks this soon after getting it :/

Actually says firmware 2.1 ?
If so can you confirm that the RGB sliders dont have any effect.

Back
Top Bottom