vista how to install

Soldato
whats the best way to install vista x64 on a 500g hard drive , i installed it before , but left the drive as one big drive , now files are all over the place , what should i do?

Soldato
I dont want to risk sound like a fool here but why didnt you do this at the begining ? Im not totaly sure this is possible now i may be wrong but because the files are in use in specific places now they cant be moved. i may be wrong tho never had to do it as i always do it when i instal windows

Associate
You don't need partition magic.

I did the same when i first installed vista.

There is a DOS command that will partition the drive, without having to reformat.
I cannot remember what it is now. Google it - it is possible.

Soldato
Yep it is possible as Breach says, my friend did the same on one of our old PC's to show my mum before i moved her over to Vista completely.

I have no idea what tool he used but there's definately one freely available to do it.

Soldato
You don't need partition magic.

I did the same when i first installed vista.

There is a DOS command that will partition the drive, without having to reformat.
I cannot remember what it is now. Google it - it is possible.

just use the disk management section of the mmc. (right click My computer>manage).

SBD

SBD

Associate
When you install vista i thought it gives you the option to make a new partition. I think vista just needs around 20Gb or so then the rest can be for your installs and files :)

Don
don't use partition magic, it's super buggy

first, for now disable system restore and clear out temp files, then run a defrag (will put all the files to the start of the drive)

then use gparted live boot cd, to change partition sizes etc

when you're back in windows, set the dvd drive as say X: for now (in disk management) and the 2nd drive to D:\

now right click 'Documents' and move it to D:\Documents

do this with Docs, Videos, Music, Pictures etc

uv

uv

Soldato
use gparted

icon14.gif

Back
Top Bottom