What is your dress code at work (office peeps)?

Caporegime
IT = some kind of "outift", certainly involving a band t-shirt which no-one cares about and, annoyingly for the wearer, many other people have heard of. Amusing hairstyles and comedy shorts are de riguer and frequently discussed with, it has to be said, some of the more forthcoming IT oiks, if only for the more GQ man to give guidance.

Everyone else = Tailored suit, keeping IT oik in job, if only because bizarrely they're necessary (turn it off and on again? Is that a job?)

Phew. I think I covered most of the stereotypical arguments, let me know if not :)

Associate
Anything you like as long as it isn't offensive/indecent.

I'm normally wearing jeans, tshirt trainers. Some people feel the need to wear a suit and tie and look smart.

I wore my least scruffy hoody to a meeting with the chairman for a posh working lunch type affair where they let us plebs talk to management.

Guy

Guy

Associate
Casual for everyone, cept Sales...even though they are on the phones

I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt to work footwear this week has been rock climbing shoes (lime green), slippers and walking boots...

Man of Honour
[FnG]magnolia;12657761 said:
Phew. I think I covered most of the stereotypical arguments, let me know if not :)

For the IT fellows you missed out the frequent dodgy facial hair, footwear (either skate trainers or Doc Martins usually) and questionable personal hygiene although the last one isn't perhaps part of the wardrobe, it just seems like it could be, the cloak of BO.

That should just about round off the gratuitous stereotyping I think. :)

Associate
A suit and tie most of the time even on dress down Fridays (its easier than finding something else to wear). Feel odd walking round the city when im not wearing one as 95% of the other people are in one

Soldato
I normally wear shirt and trousers and smart shoes, unless I'm meeting the customers or management, (outside my direct chain), ... then I might wear a tie.

It tends to vary a lot though through the office with some people dressed really smartly and other seeming to spend the whole time slobbing in tshirts. I prefer not to dress down at work, unless doing something physical like moving office, as it feels better to get changed into casual stuff when I get home.

Do tend to see relatively young lower level staff wearing smarter clothes than most of the people, (used to be a running joke at one site I worked at that the junior operators were better dressed than the managers)

Soldato
I work in the media, so you can pretty much wear whatever you like.

About the only people I've seen at my company in suits would be a couple of directors and the head of the IT Systems department. It's especially nice in the summer when you can wear shorts and sandals, while you see everyone sweating it out on the tube in full business attire.

Associate
Simple really check if there is a dress code for the company then ask the HR department about it. I've been raked over the coals myself several times due to dress code so I got my own back grew a goatee and dyed my hair. As long as you are clean and tidy I don't see that it matters.

Caporegime
Technically the official rules at my place are smart casual monday - thursday (no need for a tie) with a dress down Friday - in reality non of the developers or techie guys bother with any from of dress code unless they feel like it.
Sales guys/account managers tend to wear suits, senior management tend to be more relaxed. Everyone else seem to just go with whatever they feel like - shirt + smart jeans for me tbh...

Una

Una

Associate
We have 3 different dress codes depending on what is going on. 90% of the time in the office its just whatever you want to wear. Then we have leathers shoes, shirt days sometimes when a client is in. Then we got full business dress (suit,tie etc) when a more important client is in :p

Associate
As long as you are wearing clothes you're fine at my place. We have protested this stringent guideline, but management are unwilling to introduce naked Tuesdays :(

Soldato
Collars and Ties. Unless you're a girl... then you can have as many piercings as you like, any colour hair, cleavage spilling out left right and center and trainers if you fancy.

Back
Top Bottom