Robotics - servo control

Associate
not sure if anyone will know...

I want to put a computer in my radio control plane. The computer will be microprocessor based (a z80 compatable to be exact).

What i'm after is a way to convert the digital output from CPU to PWM for a servo.

The ideal solution would be a single chip that accepts 8bit (1 byte giving 256 servo positions) input from the processor ( TTL via octal latches) and converts that for a servo...

I've been searching for the last 5 hours and returned nothing but stuff for PIC's... While yes PIC's can drive them directly, PIC's can't do the navigation maths I intend so easily...

ANY help appreciated...
Thanks

Associate
sorry, you know way more about this stuff than me. was just going to ask, when should we expect your robot to take over the world? I'll start digging my bunker.

Associate
OP
PMSL...
The navigation is via GPS input, hence the maths required... nothing that pythagerous (<Spell) can't sort out... ;)

Soldato
not sure if anyone will know...

I want to put a computer in my radio control plane. The computer will be microprocessor based (a z80 compatable to be exact).

What i'm after is a way to convert the digital output from CPU to PWM for a servo.

The ideal solution would be a single chip that accepts 8bit (1 byte giving 256 servo positions) input from the processor ( TTL via octal latches) and converts that for a servo...

I've been searching for the last 5 hours and returned nothing but stuff for PIC's... While yes PIC's can drive them directly, PIC's can't do the navigation maths I intend so easily...

ANY help appreciated...
Thanks

Perhaps you should look at Blackfin as a basis for UAV.

www.surveyor.com is a good example. There quite a bit of activity on the forums about this.

My SRV1 stereo

Products already exist todo this but are expensive.

Associate
OP
SRV1 system looks nice, that GPS board looks the dogs watsits... shame about the cost though...
Also the b/g wifi module is nice, except their is going to be massive over heads to generate the wifi stacks. However, my guy's are going to be self aware and use a sort of swarm logic as in they tell each other their gps XYZ positions at regular intervals in order to avoid colisions.

Not seen anything on servo control though...
I know about 4 / 5 years ago their were single chips avaliable but finding them....

Soldato
Dont know if it will be any use but I've read of a lot of people doing robotics with the Parallax Propellor Chip, http://www.parallax.com/
They also sell servos you can control with a basic stamp.

If you ask in there forums im sure someone could advise you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've found a solution...
I've looked at the PIC servo controlers in more detail and found one that can have ether 4 digital outputs and 4 servos or 8 servos... and the best thing is using the program it accepts commands from an rs232 connection...

This means that instead of having one IO line per servo (4 in total) i can just have one IO line to drive an RS232 UART... and this also saves on space, reduces cost... I'm starting to like this idea...

Back
Top Bottom