FIFA 09 PC - Any good?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the game out on the PC with max settings? How does it compare to xbox 360 graphics? Any other problems with the PC version? The PC version is cheaper, so may go for that one. Please be objective though, if you have not tried both then don't make assumptions and comment unhelpful crap.

The graphics on PC from 08 to 09 seem to have improved in a BIG way from what I can see.

Cheers

Soldato
I tried the demo on high graphics and they were fairly decent. Not seen it on the console so I can't make a direct comparison. I have an 8800GT.

Personally the controls would make me pick up the console version rather than the graphics as I don't really like playing with the keyboard.

Why don't you download the demo and try out your nice new graphics card? :)

Associate
No, it's rubbish imo

The gameplay graphics are nearly identical from fifa 06-09 from what I can see, but the animation / replay bits have got shinier.

+ its buggy with a ps2 controller

Last edited:
Associate
Both these new games suck imo.

In fifa the collision system is messed up, you run into another player and it's a foul every time. Also, the passing system is a joke. It's actually impossible to play one-touch passing football since trying to do this will always result in an attempted 1-2 with the last player who played the ball.

In pro evo I keep getting carded for fair tackles, i.e. when I come in from the side and clearly win the ball. And why is Tevez so awful in front of goal? Unless you make him shoot with exactly no power then he always "Beckhams" it over the bar. The crowd is **** too. Chants consist of the crowd repeating the same word, like "united" or "deco" (when deco wasn't even on the pitch), for extended periods of time. Does my fkn head in to the point of having to play with no sound.

Another thing is both of these games make it impossible to score from a wide angle. Everytime you try and cut it across goal into the far corner the player decides to blast it into the side netting or drag it miles off target. These are professional football players, they have the whole goal to aim at so why are they so ****. The "shot across the keeper into the far corner" is probably the most prevalent goal in football yet it is impossible to score in these games. If you are not positioned exactly so that the player will curl it towards the goal on his best foot then u might aswell save some time and hoof it out for a throw in. It's like the games are enforcing upon you which type of goals you are allowed to score and from what angles, leaving no room for skill or extraordinary play.

Neither of these games begin to capture the speed and intensity of the premiership. The players run too slow in fifa and pro evo feels like a game of chess with no heart and soul cos there is a complete lack of atmosphere.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
I have tried both demos now. The graphics and gameplay on the 360 is better indeed.

Cant see much difference from 08 on the pc. Really badly optimised as well.

What are you PC specs? As FIFA 09 is MUCH better than FIFA 08 on the PC. The difference in graphics are night and day. I played everything on maximum. It looks nice, but not as nice as the 360 :(

I would have to say its worth paying the extra and getting it on console. I don't understand why they don't give you the option to have better graphics on the PC though. I mean my hardware is like at least 3 times better then what is in the xbox 360, yet the game is not as good as the 360 on the PC. What the hell? I know only a small percentage of PC owners have specs like this, but still just give us the option like other games do. If peoples PC cant handle it then they can play on lower settings or buy it fro console, why make PC users suffer? :(

Hitman
Soldato
Fifa 09 on the 360 and on the PC are technically completely different games.

In short, the PC version isn't 'next gen' like on the 360 because EA thought they could only target 1-3% of the PC market if doing so.

Associate
Played both full games recently. The PC version is basically the PS2 version, worse graphics, AI, menus and even the little training thing where you do tricks isn't included (i couldnt find it anyway). Even the size of the ball looks strange. Theres no comparison really.

I loved Fifa on the PS3 though. I posted this on another forum:

First time I've managed to play Fifa 09 at a mates house. Its really good! I only got to play 3-4 games but the animations are so fluid and crisp, its a joy to watch being played as well as playing the game itself. Slide tackles are great I must say! I love the fact the ball can end up anywhere depending on how cleanly you win the tackle. One time I slid in on my mate and he fell over a few yards away, but the ball carried with his body so he was in a perfect position to stand up and carry on with the ball. Just a small thing like that can really impress your experience when playing the game. Passing is spot on and timing & pulling out a weighted through ball can be nearly be as satisfying as scoring.

Some minor response times that niggled me after playing with the very response PES over the years but as i said, only niggles and nothing I couldn't overcome with practice and getting used to the game.

I'm not sure if you can edit players individual stats but if you can't then thats a major let down for me after editing and tweaking players attributes over the years on PES. I suppose you have to judge the developers judgment if that is the case.

I hardly got to experience the game as a whole including the BAP mode and manager mode (this is surely better than master league?) so I look forward to playing more at my mates house in the future :p

---

I've played the PES demo a lot and while its an improvement on last years, I don't think its a good enough improvement. I've yet to play the final game (which i hear the goalkeepers are improved and the fluidity is slightly better according to reports on pes forums) but in terms of actual gameplay, I feel fifa edges it this year. There seems to be no new radically changes coming out from seabass and konami. Their new be a legend mode was in a previous Winning eleven game before anyone mentions that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
The graphics I get on my PC are a lot closer to the 360 than the PS2. What setting and resolution did you play on? Was everything set on maximum, did you turn on depth of field? Probably not. I bet for some people the PC version looks like PS1 graphics, don't mean that its like that on all PC's.

If you don't believe me I can post some screen shots for you. The PC graphics are not that bad at all, just not as polished as 360 and PS3.

Associate
1024, 16 AA, depth of field and all the others on high. I didn't say the graphics were PS2 like, I said the game was an inferior version altogether like you would expect from a PS2 compared with a PS3 game. It doesn't really matter anyway cause the console version is far superior when it comes to gameplay

Soldato
08 PC is rubbish, the be a pro mode is pants, luckily i decided to 'trial' a copy before purchasing, its already been removed.
After playing the demo I felt it was necessary to do this, as I was sure I was missing something.
Theres bits and bobs in the game that talk about things that are not even there, in be a pro mode its incredibly wierd too, you dont really have that much control over your character, theres 8 directions you can move in with the ball =/
Evo is getting a trial too before purchase, as the demo was appauling imo.

And for whoever is saying the PC graphics are not bad at all.. What? Theyr not much better than the football mod that was doing the rounds for counterstike.

Definately dont buy Fifa 08 though.
Xbox version is MASSIVELY superior. Got a few mates that went and bought xboxs for it, obv they will get other use, but fifa is the primary attraction.

Associate
08 PC is rubbish, the be a pro mode is pants, luckily i decided to 'trial' a copy before purchasing, its already been removed.
After playing the demo I felt it was necessary to do this, as I was sure I was missing something.
Theres bits and bobs in the game that talk about things that are not even there, in be a pro mode its incredibly wierd too, you dont really have that much control over your character, theres 8 directions you can move in with the ball =/
Evo is getting a trial too before purchase, as the demo was appauling imo.

And for whoever is saying the PC graphics are not bad at all.. What? Theyr not much better than the football mod that was doing the rounds for counterstike.

Definately dont buy Fifa 08 though.
Xbox version is MASSIVELY superior. Got a few mates that went and bought xboxs for it, obv they will get other use, but fifa is the primary attraction.

Just to clarify, do you mean 09? :D

This Counter-strike mod you speak of, do you mean International Online Soccer (IOS), the HL1 mod?

Back
Top Bottom