Hull Fair 2008: Bungee Ride Rope Snapped!

Caporegime
Bolded for clarification.

I was at work one day and I was given the wrong ladders..

err, wrong ladders for a job that you do. you have the opportunity to check that they are the right ones.
every paying punter does not have the opportunity to inspect the cords or the cage in the ride.
atleast use a similar scenario eh?

Soldato
Yeah fairground rides you do have to wonder how often they are checked out. Especially the "bring them out once a year" types.

Soldato
err, wrong ladders for a job that you do. you have the opportunity to check that they are the right ones.
every paying punter does not have the opportunity to inspect the cords or the cage in the ride.
atleast use a similar scenario eh?

you obviously haven't seen the advert hes mocking :)

Caporegime
Meh, at least it would make the ride remotely exciting. :p
:
One of the biggest wastes of £5 I have ever spent.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm sure the girls were really excited for the fiver they've spent... I was so glad I'm the one with the camera aiming at the incident and not sitting in the metal cage! :eek:

Soldato
OP
i hate fun fairs for this very reaon, i think they are not at all safe tbh and should be inspected every time they are set up.

Weren't they inspected and testing the rides on Friday and early afternoon of Saturday? My girlfriend and I went there around 1ish and all rides were running for test and only the stalls were open for munch...

Soldato
This is why I don't go on any rides in small town fairs. The ****** that man them look dodgy enough as it is without me putting my life on the line for one of their dodgy rides which probably hasn't past a safety check since 1992!

Soldato
Didn't this happen a few years ago, same fair, same ride? Seem to remember talking about it in school, would have been about 6 years ago I guess?

~edit~ Indeed, yes it did, sauce.
Ah, I thought I'd heard someone had died at the Fair back then, but I guess it was just this accident.

EDIT: Wasn't it shut down for a year because of that?

Hull Fair is dodgy as ****, and full of chavs. I can't stand the place.

Last edited:
Caporegime
While its often less than what you'd call normal people who go around on carnival type thing from location to location. Its still their livelyhood and if someone got seriously injured they'd be in trouble with police, had people died they'd be on the hook for a long jail term, most of them run fine. Considering the number of these fairs the very low injury rate shows most are competant. The thing is, as in any job you'll have crap people, considering the risk of flying off something at high speed its just not a needed risk to take. Its not like it can't happen at Alton Towers too, but I'd feel far safer that they were being checked much more thoroughly.

AS for claiming compensation, thats completely fine, it wasn't a potentially serious accident, it was an incredibly serious accident with a lucky outcome. The issue I have is claiming an injury when you don't have one, to me thats completely unacceptable and would just make you a scum sucking cheat. You can very much claim for negligance despite injury, theres no two ways about that. If there was infact negligance they should be done, just because they got lucky with the outcome shouldn't change that.

Soldato
OP
On a side note: the Hull Daily Mail is interested in my photos but they don't pay for photos. I didn't mind not getting paid as long as I get a free copy of the published article with my photos in it :)

Also did a quick disclaimer and terms for the photos so they cannot pass on or sell on these photos without first contacting me. Yay to me and my hopefully, first photos for publish in the papers.

Soldato
OP
Well, I'm still new to this.
I'm just happy with the article to be honest... maybe IF the other national papers contact me, then I'll talk to them in money.

Back
Top Bottom