New Apple 24" ACD, possibly IPS, definite LED backlight and DisplayPort

Associate
It really looks the business but definitely at a price - just checked their website and its priced at £649 & coming soon!

Fifty quid more than the previous model but with the additional features it might be worth consideration if money is no problem. Be interesting to see what reviews it gets.

I think i'll be keeping an eye on this one!!

Its a glass screen as well.

Associate
Grr. Another promising candidate in my quest for the perfect 24" ruined by glossy screen. Iv been searching for a monitor for 3months now to no avail! Still using an old old old school 15"!!!

BA

Associate
I guess its down to personal preference in relation to glossy screens but this new Apple 24" is a glass screen which i'm sure won't make much difference as it will still be reflective to some degree.

However, when I think of a glass screen it reminds me of a CRT which never gave me any problems. Does the iMac have a glass screen? I guess you won't really know until you see it in person but i'm lucky enough that an Apple store has opened at the Victoria Square here in Belfast, so it may be worth a look!

The difference between glossy & glass is probably minimal at best but i'm sitting in front of the new Hazro 24" screen which has a glossy finish and it doesn't give me any problems as my screen dosen't face a light source or window but again its down to personal preference.

I'm not trying to defend it and i'm about as far away as an Apple user as you can get but if its LED, IPS & 24" I think it might be interesting to see how this one pans out!

Obviously, the main limiting factor is the price but then again Apple is never cheap.

Soldato
I very much doubt it, they already use a 24" IPS panel in the iMac. They also have a reputation (deserved or not) as being good monitors for designers and hence the horizontal gamma shift of a VA would be pretty much unnaceptable.

Source?
good monitors for designers?! HP, Nec, LaCie and Eizo make good monitors for designers, not Apple - hell the Apple screens don't even have A-TW polarisers and suffer from green snow.

I'm betting on it being va as it's too cheap to be a LED IPS, especially for Apple. Have a look at the HP DreamColor LP2480zx in comparison.

Soldato
OP
good monitors for designers?! HP, Nec, LaCie and Eizo make good monitors for designers, not Apple - hell the Apple screens don't even have A-TW polarisers and suffer from green snow.

I'm betting on it being va as it's too cheap to be a LED IPS, especially for Apple. Have a look at the HP DreamColor LP2480zx in comparison.

You didn't read the bit "deserved or not". The number of design studios I've been in where they have ACD's, especially new media agencies is ridiculous. I can count on one hand the number who have Lacie's and Eizo's (which IMHO are overpriced for what they are: rebadged samsung VA's for the most part).

Associate
Well I am not completely clued up here, but from the absolute stacks of LED backlit non professional grade monitors I've seen [Read NONE], how can anyone say that's expensive? It's expensive, to some extent, but considering the next step is the Samsung monitor on OcUK right now and other professional monitors well into the thousands of pounds for 1 similar sized screen, it's hardly what anyone could call expensive. Plus NECs 24" is hardly much cheaper and it doesn't feature LED back lighting. And surely this will push others (like Dell, Hazro, NEC and whomever else) into making and releasing LED back-lit screens to combat this, else they'll lose some custom, and that will drive prices down.

Nem

Nem

Associate
Daft question, but the cables in the pics don't look like PC conectivity, or is there some fancy convertor to DVI or VGA etc etc?

I've not looked at the Apple displays before, as you can gather.

Also this says it has a built in cam, and mic, would they be usable with a pc too, or is that just going to be when used with a mac?

Thanks

Nick

Associate
Well I am not completely clued up here, but from the absolute stacks of LED backlit non professional grade monitors I've seen [Read NONE], how can anyone say that's expensive? It's expensive, to some extent, but considering the next step is the Samsung monitor on OcUK right now and other professional monitors well into the thousands of pounds for 1 similar sized screen, it's hardly what anyone could call expensive. Plus NECs 24" is hardly much cheaper and it doesn't feature LED back lighting. And surely this will push others (like Dell, Hazro, NEC and whomever else) into making and releasing LED back-lit screens to combat this, else they'll lose some custom, and that will drive prices down.

Will be interesting to see what kind of LED backlight it has. I suspect that RGB LED is required for really high quality, whereas some cheaper LED backlit displays (i.e Lenovo) only use white LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom