LittleBigPlanet - Play, Create and Share.

Soldato
I'm just puzzled by the fact that the song has been released since 2002 and it's only now that people are having issue with it. Ho hum, if it's causing offense to someone it does need to be rectified so i guess the situation can't be avoided.

Soldato
OP
I'm just puzzled by the fact that the song has been released since 2002 and it's only now that people are having issue with it. Ho hum, if it's causing offense to someone it does need to be rectified so i guess the situation can't be avoided.

This has to be a publicity stunt, noway can they just now notice these offensive lyrics 1 week from release. This whole thing just stinks. :rolleyes:

Soldato
This has to be a publicity stunt, noway can they just now notice these offensive lyrics 1 week from release. This whole thing just stinks. :rolleyes:

Good point actually, the post that sparked this issue on the playstation forums which was made by a representative of an online Muslim community specifically requested a patch to remove the song, not for sony to pull the release disks off the shelves. Media Molecule even had a release day patch ready to remove the song but instead Sony have just pulled the disks, interesting tactic indeed and i think you may well be right.

Soldato
Hmm someone's on the ball :)

Have i just repeated stuff already posted in this thread? I haven't been keeping up with this thread lately due to a PSU explosion so i've lost track, sorry if that's the case.

[EDIT] Or, maybe, i'm just being overly paranoid and that comment wasn't at all aimed at me... i'm in a strange mood today :/

Soldato
OP
Good point actually, the post that sparked this issue on the playstation forums which was made by a representative of an online Muslim community specifically requested a patch to remove the song, not for sony to pull the release disks off the shelves. Media Molecule even had a release day patch ready to remove the song but instead Sony have just pulled the disks, interesting tactic indeed and i think you may well be right.

If its true then boo hoo. Far more offensive things get put out there on disc for people to moan about. Why do they need to recall the game because of this?

Soldato
The problem with the day 0 patch as Sony have said is that not everyone connects their PS3 online, therefore your not removing it for everyone.

I don't think it's a publicity stunt. Think how much $$$ is going to be spent on reprinting and distributing. I think they're just playing it safe.

Sucks tbh. :(

Soldato
Has the post on the playstation forum that sparked this been posted at all? Can't see it so just in case you can find it here.

To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

While playing your latest game, "LittleBigPlanet" in the first level of the third world in the game (titled "Swinging Safari":smileywink:, I have noticed something strange in the lyrics of the music track of the level. When I listened carefully, I was surprised to hear some very familiar Arabic words from the Quran. You can listen to part of the track here:

mt14.quickshareit.com/share/p...lip22503c0.wav

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.

We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.

We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.

Regards

Caporegime
I very much doubt Sony would have done such a publicity stunt that forces them to spend millions on a recall - completely understand if it had gone gold and then it was found out before distribuition/duplication...

At the end of the day I can forsee them just missing it - I very much doubt MM/Sony would have gone through the foreign lyrics of a song with a fine toothcomb when they were under the assumption it was ok since nothing had been raised about it in the 7 years its been published for...

It just boils down to an honest 'mistake'...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
Well I can see the Hindus up in arms - when the sack people do 'a lemming' surely they should reincarnate into something different :p. Then again suicide is a no-no to proceed on the spiritual path ;)

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Pathetic. Why not go ahead and just cancel every upcoming game that has anything remotely offensive init.

LBP is not about being offensive in any way. The song was simply meant to be a theme for the african levels. Showing off material that was religious and dark was never their artistic intention.

Not only that but the lyrics were not really appropriate for the theme of the game or the rating(children friendly) and could possibly lead to a more expensive mess later with retailers and possibly angry customers/parents pulling the shots over material like that being included.

Seems like anything is an excuse to jump on Muslims these days.

Back
Top Bottom