Slow speeds (Virgin Media)...

Associate
I've noticed lately that my internet speeds have been extremely slow compared to what they normally are. I have the L Package (up to 10 meg) with Virgin Media - which according to their website should be reliable and independant of location from data centres (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html).

I have an old NTL:Home 100 broadband cable modem, and a Belkin Wireless G Router to share the connection between two computers (wired). Previously Ive had no problems, however lately I've frequently lost connection completely and had to restart the modem and router (which is annoying). A latest speed test from thinkbroadband.com shows the following results:

Date 20/10/08 23:48:58
Speed Down 1804.16 Kbps ( 1.8 Mbps )
Speed Up 474.74 Kbps ( 0.5 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

Is the problem related to my modem? or the router? Or can anybody give advice on how I can find the source of the problem and get it fixed. At the moment Im paying for a service which Im not receiving.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
i kinda had the same not so long ago, i noticed my modem was always trying to sync and connection would loose if i try to put it on download or play online games etc,
your down speed is 1.8mbps which is 10mb, does it always slow down to a crawl?
anyway give them a ring and get them to check your modem and line.

Soldato
Is the problem related to my modem? or the router? Or can anybody give advice on how I can find the source of the problem and get it fixed. At the moment Im paying for a service which Im not receiving.

Then call VM and get them to do something about it? They can start by upgrading you to a 250/255 cable modem.

Associate
OP
your down speed is 1.8mbps which is 10mb, does it always slow down to a crawl?
anyway give them a ring and get them to check your modem and line.

1.8mbps is 10mb?? I thought 10mb would be 10mbps (10,000kbps) at max? I would expect a 10mb connection to get closer to the 10mbps end than the 1mbps end. Am I wrong to assume that?

It doesnt always slow to a complete crawl. Would a tracert reveal if the problem was with particular websites/servers?

first thing to try.

unplug router & modem

plug pc directly into modem and turn on. then do a speedtest

OK well I tried unplugging the router, and connecting the modem directly to the computer and got the following speed test results:

Date 21/10/08 14:49:34
Speed Down 1595.21 Kbps ( 1.6 Mbps )
Speed Up 474.28 Kbps ( 0.5 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

So its pretty much the same, so that rules the router out. Also, I noticed in another thread an important Belkin fireware update for VM users - which I've installed.

Also, I'm connecting the router to the computer via ethernet port, would using USB make any difference?

Associate
When my speed was upgraded, 4mb to 10mb, a while ago they sent me a new modem automatically as my old one wasn't up to the job.

I would think you need a new modem.

There was a website that Virgin ran that you could find your current modem on and it would tell you if you needed a new one

Rich

Associate
OP
your downspeed is correct and your upload is correct too.

example i got a 2mb boardband and my downspeed is 200kbps and upload is 20kps

Looking at the VM website at the 'Check Package' table for download/upload speeds http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/troubleshooting/slow-broadband.php. According to that I should receive near to 10,240 Kbps. However, my speed test results are showing between 1,500 and 2,000 Kbps - which is significantly less. I'm not confusing Kbps with KB/s.

Is it worth contacting VM about this?

Soldato
try turning your modem off for 30s and then turn it back on do the same with wireless router if you have one :) and your download speed is wrong it should be 10.000+ now it's only 1800 which is to low :) but your upload speed is right

C64

C64

Soldato
They cap you soon as you go over 2gb of downloaded data anytime during 5pm-12am
not as bad as bt though they cap you at 512k 5-12 regardless of what you do

Associate
I called virgin yesterday, they performed some line checks apparently - advised me to go to that link above to check the speed i was getting was correct, and it was.

However, my utorrent speeds are crap, they never used to be. I asked them if they cap the line between certain hours, and the operator said no?? Unbelievable!

Last edited:
Associate
the problem here is your modem mate, 120s are terrible modems, if i remember correctly they will max out at 7-14meg at the best of times. and if i am not mistaken they only have 10mbit ethernet ports though dont quote me there

ask them for a new modem or if they dont say the old one is broken in some way.

Soldato
They cap you soon as you go over 2gb of downloaded data anytime during 5pm-12am
not as bad as bt though they cap you at 512k 5-12 regardless of what you do

Wrong

On 10mb

between 10am - 3pm if you download more than 2.4gb you get capped to 1mb speeds for 5 hours

Between 3pm - 8pm If you upload more than 700mb you get capped to 1mb speeds for 5 hours

Between 4pm - 9pm If you download more than 1.2gb you get capped to 1mb for 5 hours

more info here : http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Associate
I called virgin yesterday, they performed some line checks apparently - advised me to go to that link above to check the speed i was getting was correct, and it was.

However, my utorrent speeds are crap, they never used to be. I asked them if they cap the line between certain hours, and the operator said no?? Unbelievable!

are you saying since they performed their tests the speedtest site is now reporting you are getting the proper bandwidth? and that it's just torrent's your having problems with now? if so, they are probably shaping your torrent traffic.

Back
Top Bottom