Windows Home Server

Soldato
What's the best hard drive figuration for a WHS set up? I take it it's not to put the OS on a small drive and have a larger one as storage then?

From my knowledge of WHS (and I don't actually have a WHS server up and running) is that when you copy files onto the server, they are first sent to the system HDD before being re-allocated by WHS.

If you have a small system HDD then you will be semi-limited to the amount and/or size of files you can move to WHS in any one session. From what I understand, if your system drive isn't big enough when you copy files across then you will get a message similar to that of "not enough space" as if you were copying files to another type of storage device.

The bigger the system HDD the less likely you will have any problems in transfering large amounts of files across.

**Edit**
If that didn't make sense then this may help:
http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t2560.html

Last edited:
Permabanned
I take it from looking at the Twonkymedia site that you use the inbuilt WMC to record tv, Then use Twonkymedia to share it around your network ?

Soldato
Oops, I was a touch tired when I posted that, Yes thats one way of doing it, I dont actually record any TV through mine, but I do serve movies and music to my TV. I have heard that people are doing it that way.

Permabanned
Well I have my WHS up and running now, so far so good.

One thing that puzzles me is how the storage is working. I have 3 disks in the machine, the OS is installed on a 250Gb which was automatically partitioned as c: and d:

There are two more 500Gb drives in the server, these show up in the WHS console as two individual disks but not as drives in "My Computer." Am I right in saying WHS just dumps the data across the other two disk according to the space the data requires?

What add-ins are people using too?

Soldato
you're suppose to use biggest hard drive for main OS installation, you'll have problem when those 500GB hard drives full up.

WHS looks multi hard drives as 2 partitions, first one for C (OS), second one for data

Permabanned
you're suppose to use biggest hard drive for main OS installation, you'll have problem when those 500GB hard drives full up.

WHS looks multi hard drives as 2 partitions, first one for C (OS), second one for data

I have just been reading about WHS and HDD's. Is there an easy way to resolve this now before I dump any more data on it?

Could I not just add another 1TB drive?

Soldato
Can you just reinstall? Failing that, ghost/trueimage it to one 500gb and expand the bigger partition. Theres no easy way to do it tbh. Just expanded mine by adding an 8 port sas/sata controller (£57!!!!!!! :D Bargain or what!) and 2x1tb hard drives. But my system drive is still a 500gb drive.

Soldato
Hey up,

Slinwagh, when your working with the server i hope your accessing folders and such via the shares.

ie \\server\"name of share"

Dont work on the server directly via drive letters, ie copy your dvds to d:\dvds or such.

You can corroupt a lot of data that way.

just a heads up for you.

Even when working on the server itself always use the shortcut that will be on the desktop to your server shares, and always use the whs console to create new folders.

Sorry if this is telling you how to suck eggs. :D

Soldato
Ive broken mine in the past . . . .

If you have 300gb of DVD's. then unmount one of your drives in WHS and mount it as a drive letter. Then copy all your data to the one drive. Remove that drive and double check. Then put the other 500gb drive in, reinstall fully, mount the 250gb drive. Then install the 500gb drive and copy the whole lot back over onto the shares path. It will take a while mind . . . .

Then remount the 500gb drive. et.viola! done.
I would copy using remote desktop.

Back
Top Bottom