Dead Space - Survival Horror is Back

Associate
Sorry little boy, its an 18 cert. Your parents should be ashamed.

hmp :( i would think after helping people around in these forums i wouldn't be known as "little boy".

i mean i played re1-4 (getting 5) so why should i not be allowed to play dead space. After all i payed for it with my money.

Caporegime
hmp :( i would think after helping people around in these forums i wouldn't be known as "little boy".

i mean i played re1-4 (getting 5) so why should i not be allowed to play dead space. After all i payed for it with my money.

I'm sorry but after reading this thread

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17933410&highlight=username_eyyaz

You seemed like such a good teenager I couldn't imagine you playing a game you wasn't allowed to ;)

That thread was a classic though :p

Soldato
I was going to get this for the PC but having read the forums on a couple of sites there appears to be control lag issues. Bank ballance allowing I will pick up a copy tomorrow from the supermarket if it is normal price.

Just one thing, is it SCARY? :eek:
Yep its scary and yep get the PC version no control issues at all. It demands to be played with a gamepad as that is the way it was designed mouse + keyboard feels wrong because the ingame menus are designed with a gamepad in mind. Using a 360 pad on my PC and the controls are very good. PC also has much better gfx than the console versions and once the game is installed you no longer need to have the dvd in the drive either.

Associate
Er, in reply to the people who accused me of not having a review copy - No I won't take a picture, I can't be bothered. But feel free to read my review when it goes up tomorrow. Check my gamercard if you don't believe I have the game...

And as for pirating a copy, I wouldn't know where to start with pirating a 360 game. Also, I've built up considerable PR contacts after reviewing games for over five years, hence the review copies.

edit: Actually, seeing as though I've got my phone camera handy:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6584/reviewcopiesra0.jpg

It's not difficult to get review copies if you've known the right people for a long time and your intentions are good. But to be honest, I don't really care if some miserable sods are jealous that I'm getting games early from PR companies, so long as you read my site :)

Last edited:
Associate
You can ask small websites if you can write for them for free. It'd probably be a good idea to write about a game you've already played first, so you've got something to prove to editors you can write.

Caporegime
No one is jealous, you just obviously haven't seen how often we have been pedalled the reviewer balls. Also the rules of this forum are that without photographic proof usually of the manual (as people knocked up their own covers and disc labels) you couldn't discuss the merits of the actual game.

Associate
No one is jealous, you just obviously haven't seen how often we have been pedalled the reviewer balls. Also the rules of this forum are that without photographic proof usually of the manual (as people knocked up their own covers and disc labels) you couldn't discuss the merits of the actual game.

Well, okay, but I've been here a long time and I've never lied about anything. I've been reviewing games for a number of years and I decided to start my own site. I've been fortunate enough to receive quite a few review copies this week, and I'm hopefully getting a lot next week. I hope I don't have to provide photographic evidence of all of them.

Getting Fallout 3 on Tuesday :)

Caporegime
I hope I don't have to provide photographic evidence of all of them.

Well you have a good job for a gamer, lucky you. :)

You will have to check with a Mod if you have to provide evidence if you are discussing a game early, everyone else has had too.

2 years ago with gears release and people discussing it early without decent proof led to a **** load of threads being closed.

Loads have been suspended for it.

Associate
Ah right, it's actually a forum rule? I thought it was a self-policed thing like the motors forum and you guys were just pulling my plonker trying to get me to provide evidence! I'll just keep my mouth shut until after the retail release in future :) or of course I'll provide evidence if I can be bothered :p

Caporegime
Ah right, it's actually a forum rule? I thought it was a self-policed thing like the motors forum and you guys were just pulling my plonker trying to get me to provide evidence! I'll just keep my mouth shut until after the retail release in future :) or of course I'll provide evidence if I can be bothered :p

:D

Nah it's the normal way in here. I even remember someone getting viva pinata early and having to post evidence :)

My apologies for not explaining that better from the start.

Associate
Well the Dead Space "promo copy" is actually just a retail game, but the Fable II one is a proper promo copy. The front cover of the box is faded, but the back is normal and full of colour. The actual DVD is just white with black writing on. I'll post a pic in a sec.

Soldato
Got my preorder from "the Shop To go to" today and played for about 6 hours so far. Inital impressions are fantastic...this game is immersive.

Graphically, it's top notch. The developers REALLY use lighting and environments to their advantage. While a lot of people will be caught out by the jump scares (expertly timed, might I add), I was caught more by those moments where the lights cut out, or the whole area is caught in an "Aliens"-style flashing klaxon lighting scenario....and you're attacked from all sides.

Being accustomed to horror movies etc. all of my life I'm pretty immune to jump-scares, but actual tension and outright "fear for your life" horror still gets me. Video games are one of the only mediums to me where that still exists, and Dead Space delivers in spades.

Controls are tight and you never feel cheated by the game when you die, which is a great thing. It's always your fault. Your bad decisions lead to your death, rather than the game's inability to let you do what you want.

To get the most from the storyline you really ought to watch the animated episodes that have shown up on the Marketplace, and I've also heard great things about the animated DVD, "Dead Space : Downfall". That's not to say that the audio, video and text logs you'll find lying around won't provide sufficient filler as to the background, but from what I've seen your (read: Isaac's) story in this game is only a little part of the bigger picture.

Roughly halfway through the game myself, and I'm finding it well worth the purchase. Friggin' scary (the Mrs. wouldn't watch me play it), nice and gory, excellent graphics, great acting, and exciting gameplay.

Oh, and the sound design really deserves a mention...it's simply incredible. All of your speakers are utilised...from sirens, steam, things clanging in vents all around, and even Isaac's muffled screams inside his helmet in Zero-G situations; it's incredible.

This is a AAA title. Buy it.

Back
Top Bottom