Microsoft posts emergency defence for new attack

Associate
I wondered why when I got to my machine this morning all the programs I'd left open were shut and I'd a green shield in my taskbar... Ah well, nothing lost, better safe than sorry.

Permabanned
WE ALL GONNA DIE!!!! :eek:

Also, things like this make me like my new MacBook purchase even more :)
Yeah, and as more people use OSX, the more things like this will surfice. And I wouldn't want to be in an OSX user's shoes then - given how apalling Apple are at admitting, disclosing, informing and releasing fixes.

Soldato
Microsoft KB article said:
"On Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, the vulnerable code path is only accessible to authenticated users. This vulnerability is not liable to be triggered if the attacker is not authenticated."

Which rules this out as being a "omg MSBlaster all over again" type event for Vista users.

Soldato
Thanks M$. This patch killed shared folders on a bunch of servers. Easy fix (restart relavant services) so no big deal. Had a fair few panicked phone calls this morning :rolleyes:

Dunc

Soldato
Also, things like this make me like my new MacBook purchase even more :)

And yet Apple published several remote execution vulnerability fixes a couple of weeks ago. If you include vulnerabilities in the 3rd party software that ships with OSX, that number becomes a lot more than 2. ;)

No operating system is immune to this sort of thing. Debian linux a few months ago announced an incredibly critical bug that's been there for several years, that rendered most of their OpenSSL based encryption completely predictable.

If you want security more than anything else, take a look at the -STABLE branch of OpenBSD or something.

Back
Top Bottom