• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8600 E0 Overclocks

Associate
Just been looking further back through this post and I can see that Loz has the same board as me.

Anyone know how he got on with overclocking this processor on the P5N32-E?

So far I've found it wants a lot of volts to just run at 4.0Ghz... I've got it stable at 1.27v at the moment.

Associate
hi, I used to do the same as you, disable CPU TM Function when overclocking.

But then i was thinking why turn off the thing that will stop your chip overheating, if the pump stops for example.

so i no longer turn it off and it makes no difference to any overclock.

did we just turn it off out of habit, because so far all my tests shows it makes no difference turning it off, but a bit more peace of mind with it on.

or am i talking rubbish and that command is not the one to cause throttling in an overheating chip.

I wasn't sure what it was when I copied the bios settings from another forum :confused:

You are right in saying it shouldn't effect overclocking as its made no difference in mine enabled or disabled but its the sensible choice if you wish to have some protection for your cpu :)

Edit: Manual definition - this function enables overheated CPU to throttle the clock speed to cool down.

At what temp does the cpu need to be for the motherboard to class it as overheated? just a thought.

Last edited:
Associate
It was orthos stable using small FFTs test for 7 hours at 10x440 with vcore 1.35 but was failing the blend test after 2 hours :(

Up the vcore to 1.37 and its now stable :) temps are ok too.

Here's my database contribution:

Q822A435 ¦ 4400 Mhz ¦ 1.37v ¦ 1.1625v ¦ 62 ¦ OCZ Vendetta 2 ¦ Asus P5Q Pro ¦ arrond ¦

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo222/arrond3/stable.jpg

stable.jpg

Tempted to try 4.5 now :p

Soldato
Q820A670 here,currently at 4.0Ghz(1.25v VID) with 1.25v set in bios.

Using a Noctua NH-U12P cooler with a 120 x 38mm Panaflo lowspeed fan & AS5

Idles @ 25c.

Load 100% 45c.

Very happy so far :)

Loz

Loz

Associate
Just been looking further back through this post and I can see that Loz has the same board as me.

Anyone know how he got on with overclocking this processor on the P5N32-E?

So far I've found it wants a lot of volts to just run at 4.0Ghz... I've got it stable at 1.27v at the moment.

Crispy You are doing a lot better than me m8. I thought I had it all sussed with 4.0Ghz VCore at 1.35, but started to get total freeze ups whilst in game on Insurgency and BIA HH. Did the usual of suspecting video drivers and updated those and sound card with no affect. Droped the CPU back to 3.33 and all was well. So since then I've been up and down on the temps and now trying 1.375 to see how it goes.

And using 100% load in Prime I'm getting 73-74 degs, which sounds a bit too hot to me??

Last edited:
Associate
@ 4.3ghz im hitting 72 degs. PC will shut down at 95 to stop doing any damage so im sure anythin below 80 is fine?

Im afraid of running the cpu at high temps for long periods so i keep mine no higher than 65 for a 24/7 overclock. As the cpu will not be 100% load all the time im sure anything under 70 is ok but not sure about 80 though.

Last edited:
Associate
Q820A670 here,currently at 4.0Ghz(1.25v VID) with 1.25v set in bios.

Using a Noctua NH-U12P cooler with a 120 x 38mm Panaflo lowspeed fan & AS5

Idles @ 25c.

Load 100% 45c.

Very happy so far :)

They are really good temps :) I wish i got the Noctua instead of OCZ vendetta 2. It seems not better than an ACF7 i had im my previous build. Are you gonna push it any further?

Associate
It was orthos stable using small FFTs test for 7 hours at 10x440 with vcore 1.35 but was failing the blend test after 2 hours :(

Up the vcore to 1.37 and its now stable :) temps are ok too.

Here's my database contribution:

Q822A435 ¦ 4400 Mhz ¦ 1.37v ¦ 1.1625v ¦ 62 ¦ OCZ Vendetta 2 ¦ Asus P5Q Pro ¦ arrond ¦
<pic snip>

Tempted to try 4.5 now :p

How come mine won't do that? Same Q822A435 as well and yet if I try anything over 4.35 I have to up the voltages to the point where it's 55 idle and jumps straight up to 75 and I instantly hit stop on orthos :mad:

Noctua NH-U12P with the paste that came with it. I'll try upgrading to a better paste I guess?

Associate
Crispy You are doing a lot better than me m8. I thought I had it all sussed with 4.0Ghz VCore at 1.35, but started to get total freeze ups whilst in game on Insurgency and BIA HH. Did the usual of suspecting video drivers and updated those and sound card with no affect. Droped the CPU back to 3.33 and all was well. So since then I've been up and down on the temps and now trying 1.375 to see how it goes.

And using 100% load in Prime I'm getting 73-74 degs, which sounds a bit too hot to me??

Hmm... yeah you should be running a lot better than that mate. We practically have the same setups and I'm even using the same cooler as you. Are you running the latest bios?

I've got all voltages set to auto apart from the vcore (obviously) and I've disabled all CPU features.

Associate
How come mine won't do that? Same Q822A435 as well and yet if I try anything over 4.35 I have to up the voltages to the point where it's 55 idle and jumps straight up to 75 and I instantly hit stop on orthos :mad:

Noctua NH-U12P with the paste that came with it. I'll try upgrading to a better paste I guess?

Im using OCZ paste. My temps are ok but not great. I would check that the HSF is seated correctly and making good contact with the cpu. Try both core temp and real temp to see if they are reading the same temps. Check your idle temp in bios and see if core temp and real temp are the same (or roughly). Other factors such as your case and room temp can contribute to high temps.

When you say anything over 4.35 you have to up the voltages, what voltages? just vcore? DRAM?

Your vcore may be fine but you might need to up your DRAM or FSB to get stability. Have a play around and eventually you will get it right ;)

Associate
Im using OCZ paste. My temps are ok but not great. I would check that the HSF is seated correctly and making good contact with the cpu. Try both core temp and real temp to see if they are reading the same temps. Check your idle temp in bios and see if core temp and real temp are the same (or roughly). Other factors such as your case and room temp can contribute to high temps.

When you say anything over 4.35 you have to up the voltages, what voltages? just vcore? DRAM?

Your vcore may be fine but you might need to up your DRAM or FSB to get stability. Have a play around and eventually you will get it right ;)

I reseated it recently and it was slightly wobbly; 2 of the mounting bracket screws were slightly loose but I tightened them up and that enabled me to hit 4.35 without too dangerous temps. Maybe I've got too much compound in there. When I find a shop that does OCZ Freeze or that MX-2 stuff instead of generic Akasa goop, which can't be any better than the stock noctua paste I'm using, I'll upgrade. But at the moment I'd have to order it online which seems like a pain in the bum. I'll try refitting it and doing the paste better.

Well I saw a lot of people using 500 * 9 on my processor/mobo combo to hit 4.5 but I get small-prime errors in <5 sec at that setup and can't really up the voltages much more as I'll bake the CPU.

I've upped the VCore to about 1.3v, the NB volt a touch, the DRAM is set to... 1.85v I think, 1.8 is recommended, with waranty covering up to 1.95, I've set up pretty much every voltage setting to a sensible levels, disabled all the dodgy problematic intel power saver functions and stuff. Temps are capping me I think.

<- my numbers. Coretemp and Realtemp read the same when I set the TJmax on Coretemp to the same as Realtemp's.

Anything stand out majorly other than the temps?

Associate
I reseated it recently and it was slightly wobbly; 2 of the mounting bracket screws were slightly loose but I tightened them up and that enabled me to hit 4.35 without too dangerous temps. Maybe I've got too much compound in there. When I find a shop that does OCZ Freeze or that MX-2 stuff instead of generic Akasa goop, which can't be any better than the stock noctua paste I'm using, I'll upgrade. But at the moment I'd have to order it online which seems like a pain in the bum. I'll try refitting it and doing the paste better.

Well I saw a lot of people using 500 * 9 on my processor/mobo combo to hit 4.5 but I get small-prime errors in <5 sec at that setup and can't really up the voltages much more as I'll bake the CPU.

I've upped the VCore to about 1.3v, the NB volt a touch, the DRAM is set to... 1.85v I think, 1.8 is recommended, with waranty covering up to 1.95, I've set up pretty much every voltage setting to a sensible levels, disabled all the dodgy problematic intel power saver functions and stuff. Temps are capping me I think.

Your temps are a little high but the screenshot is showing cpu activity so the temps will rise. What are the temps at idle and load with vcore of 1.3v? I would make sure your temps are ok before pushing it too far :p If your temps are fine then theres no reason why you can't reach 500x9 :D Good luck!

Associate
Your temps are a little high but the screenshot is showing cpu activity so the temps will rise. What are the temps at idle and load with vcore of 1.3v? I would make sure your temps are ok before pushing it too far :p If your temps are fine then theres no reason why you can't reach 500x9 :D Good luck!

Was doing a virus scan and some steam related stuff at the time, but 45deg more or less constant idle temp at 1.3v.

Is there any way of knowing what causes the instability at 500*9? I mean what's going to be the most likely limiting factor? Vcore? Northbridge? RAM volts/clocks/freq? Or can it be pretty much anything?

Associate
Was doing a virus scan and some steam related stuff at the time, but 45deg more or less constant idle temp at 1.3v.

Is there any way of knowing what causes the instability at 500*9? I mean what's going to be the most likely limiting factor? Vcore? Northbridge? RAM volts/clocks/freq? Or can it be pretty much anything?

It could be just one or it could be all of them, there is no real way to tell. I would try raising the DRM voltage to its max (1.95v you said?). I wouldnt raise the vcore anymore due to temps. Try and find some bios setting screenshots for your board that someone else it using and compare. It can give you an idea what might be the limiting factor or factors.

Have a play around and see what you can get. If it was as simple as setting 500 fsb with x9 multi then it would take the fun away from overclocking :D

Associate
It could be just one or it could be all of them, there is no real way to tell. I would try raising the DRM voltage to its max (1.95v you said?). I wouldnt raise the vcore anymore due to temps. Try and find some bios setting screenshots for your board that someone else it using and compare. It can give you an idea what might be the limiting factor or factors.

Have a play around and see what you can get. If it was as simple as setting 500 fsb with x9 multi then it would take the fun away from overclocking :D

1.95 is as high as OCZ will cover with their warranty, but I'll try that :)

Haha, very true! Curse my impatience, I got fed up after a couple of days of testing and settled but I'm determined to stablize 4.5. Will post when I pull it off ;)

Back
Top Bottom