PC forum post

Soldato
There's a 4th language there, a local dialect spoken only in a valley, no idea what it is based on.

Swiss nationality - your picture and your application form are posted in public view in your local council office for a month, and local residents have the right to comment on your application. If the locals don't like you, you are likely to never get it. It upsets quite a few Turks there...

Enjoy your time there, it's a lovely country, try to see as much as possible! :)

Associate
Ahh yeah I forgot to mention that didn't I! Well basically I was an extremely jammy sod and got put in a swanky apartment in a very central area less than 10 mins walk from Bahnhofstrasse, 5 mins walk from work, and 5 mins to a main train station, Bahnhof Enge. I'm basically 2 mins away from Paradaplatz. :)

No Lake view then?

Associate
Sonds nice mate. I will have to ask my brother where he is based. The computer firm he works for has him staying in Zurich for weeks at a time doing work on one of there software projects. I think he loves the place, but it isn't great being stuck in a hotel and only getting £30 daily living expenses. He is there on a bed and breakfast basis I think and everything else he must pay for himself. That said it is a great opportunity, just a pity he is only married.

Man of Honour
I love certain European cities.

You said it yourself, it's clean. When I was over there, I saw some rubbish fly by some locals, it was picked up, not added to. I'd love to have an oppurtunity to live there at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep I love Switzerland having lived there myself for over a year in and near Zurich. I regularly go back there for small visits but decided against moving there permanently despite having some good job offers made. I get put off by having to pay double the tax that the swiss pay.

Associate
Wings is a good bar on the river and there's a place that does what they call Jambo-jambo (Wiener Schnitzel) somewhere in the old town (I can't remember exactly where, around the base of ETH is that pedestrianised street), it's massive and not too badly priced. Further up the same street there's an amazing Portuguese restaurant which does the best paellas! Unfortunately though I know the city well I can't describe places for the life of me! I'll be out there for 6 days at the end of next month and I'm rather looking forward to it.

Yes the shopping's expensive but please come to Moscow if you want a real eye-opener on prices.

Soldato
Im living in Prague for a year and I'm loving the culture and the city here. Obviously it will be different to Zurich, but life here seems better in terms of what you mentioned about people being more respectful. Beer here is drunk like water yet walk down the center of Prague at night and walk down the centre of glasgow and there is a major, major difference.

Going abroad was the best decision ever! Clubs and the DJ's here are so much better and livelier places to be compared to back home.

Associate
I've spent a lot of time in Geneva (a total of 18 months, 3 x 6 month re-location) and I'm not a huge fan.
Zurich, however, is superb and I'm very envious of you! Enjoy it fella.

Soldato

Yep, you get properly done over in the barbers/hair dressers over there....I used to shave my head as the cheapest place I could find was about £25. Unless I get it cut by a trainee.
I didnt say it was for that reason, but it put me off a lot when my swiss friends were paying around 10% tax. I get paid the same here as I would there. It was a personal choice as well for me. I could go back out there and work quite easily, but I would miss my family, friends etc and I enjoy my job in the uk a lot more.

Soldato
Just back from a week there myself, although unfortunately only a night in Zurich. The rest was spent between Leichtenstein, Austria & Switzerland.

If you get a chance, take the motorway to Leichtenstein then into Vaduz & have beer in the city centre, then take the road up to Malbun for a beautiful view of 3 countries. If you get a chance, take the road to either Chur or Feldkirch (Feldkirch is slightly nicer) - there is a fantastic restaurant in the town centre that does a five course meal of beef.

Hope to be going back to that region in the future again. Just don't try the bar facing the sex shop in Zurich centre. It's one of those ones where the ladies take their clothes off and expect you to pay 2500f for a picolo....;)

Caporegime
OP
Hope to be going back to that region in the future again. Just don't try the bar facing the sex shop in Zurich centre. It's one of those ones where the ladies take their clothes off and expect you to pay 2500f for a picolo....;)

Whereabouts is that? :)

I spent a week in Zurich earlier this year. While it's not rough by any means, I found it underwhelming, dull and lifeless. Perhaps its because I was travelling and had seen places like Ljubljana, Prague etc. but I was just wasn't impressed by Zurich. It is certainly clean, though.

Yup... it's clean. If that's all you thought it was then you didn't do it right. ;)

Soldato
I think the bar in question was at the intersection of Badergasse & Niederdoristrasse about 500m from the Train station. There's also a very nice Mexican restaurant close to it - but it was quite expensive (400f for 5 of us with hardly any drinks)

Back
Top Bottom